• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Forks for Solaris
  • DaveE

Looking for new forks as want to use current Reba’s on new build.
    Should I stick with Reba’s.

DaveE

No advice then……

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yup 100mm rebas be great 🙂 or do what I did and sell them to fund some carbon blades. Also great 🙂 also worth checking out x fusion forks…. They are great too. Ignore fox forks as they are plop. Enjoy!

timc
    Free Member

I’ve got Reba at 120mm n my Solaris for what its worth

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

What he said.

Not run it any other way, so no grounds for comparison.

sandal100

I’ve just bought these for my new build Solaris. They come with the spacers to knock them down to 120. They’re oe so there’s no box.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/rockshox-revelation-rct3-29-dual-air-1-5-taper-2012/rp-prod94599

Chris

DaveE

Had a look at revelations. Did have CRC voucher but ran out yesterday.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Could get sids, check out Merlin.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Merlin +1.25

oxym0r0n

Fox are fine on mine 😳

sandal100

The revelations have dropped in price since that voucher code ended to the same price as they were with the voucher if that makes sense!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have the Marzocchi 44 Tis on mine. They are a delight. 🙂

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

2013 RS Revelation RCT3 Solo Air on mine & it feels spot on.

Had to buy a new cartridge to get them to 120 tho 🙁

Not 100% sure, but those forks in the CRC link might adjust to 120 with spacers but the A-C length might stay the same making it high at the front & geometry would be all to pot……

danti

You don’t mention where you ride and what kind of riding you like and current build of wheels etc but if you’re looking for something slightly burlier then I’d be looking at these with 34mm stanchions and run at 110mm:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-fusion-trace-rl2-dla-29er-tapered-suspension-fork/

Thinking of getting some myself.

boxelder

I’m a Solaris owner of a couple of weeks, lucky enough to have both 100mm Rebas and 120mm Revs to choose from. Started with the Rebas on there and surprised at how capable they feel – thought I’d be hankering after Revs. The Rebas are 15mm bolt thru and riding is rocky Lakes stuff. I’ll try the longer travel Revs when I get time to swap them over, but certainly haven’t felt ‘under-forked’ yet (which I did with them on a Scandal). Crest/Pro2 wheels for info, and 2.2″ Purgatory tyres (tubeless)

DaveE

Never felt “under forked” with 100mm Rebas but would like bolt thru version at least.
    Recently fitted Hope/Flows wheels.

Alex

100mm 2012 Dual Air Rebas on mine. Decent fork, plenty stiff enough and a good weight. Keep thinking about a longer fork but 100mm suits it just fine here (Malverns, FoD). I have those ^^^ 140 RCT3s on my 29er FS and they are an excellent fork for the money. Mate has the trace’s tho and I’m very tempted by those.

m_t_b
    Free Member

Im running some 2014 fox 34 140mm which are 20mm too long but actually feel great, I am going to knock them down to 130mm and run them with slightly lower air.

Looking at those Revelations though that is one hell of a deal.

breadcrumb

If those Revs could be spaced down to 100mm I’d have some for my Unit.

I’m guessing you can’t just stick another spacer in there?

DaveE

Alex
    That’s exactly my thought.
    Ride fod and Wyre and never had an issue with 100mm Reba’s.
    Think another set of Reba’s is best option with tapered steerer and bolt thru just it stiffen slightly.

wookie
    Free Member

Running 120mm SIDs RCT3 with Crest/Hope wheels on mine.

For the riding i do (pretty much anything i can throw at the poor thing) i wouldn’t want to go down to 100mm forks and wish id bought Flow wheels instead of the crests. In fact id take another look at the 34mm 29er XFusion forks if i was to buy again but thats just my heavy handed style 🙂

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Kust to clarify, do those 140mm RCT3s on Chainreaction have everything with them to space them down to 120mm easily?

Keep umming and arhhing over whether to build a CX bike – Kinesis pro6 with parts I have or get a Clockwork or Solaris with a Rev and switch all my 26″ build to it…

letmetalktomark

Just my 2cents …..

Firstly I agree with the comment of never feeling underbiked with just 100mm of travel.

That said …. for me I felt that only running 100mm dampened the Solaris for me.

I had bolt through Rebas.

If I still had the bike I would want to swap out the fork for 120mm version.

That said …. I went from a 100mm Solaris to a 90mm Skookum (running a Lefty) and that feels all together more “right”.

I haven’t helped have I ….. 😆

sandal100

Kust to clarify, do those 140mm RCT3s on Chainreaction have everything with them to space them down to 120mm easily?

The box contains the forks of course, warranty book and 2x10mm travel reducers. I’m yet to do mine as I haven’t got the rest of the kit for the build so may well buy them again if there’s another price drop. The guide to take them apart is either a bikeradar one or the 2011 revelation tech manual which shows what to do and tools required.

Alex

The ‘cooking’ reba’s on my Solaris are the RTs. On my PYGA I have the RC3 or whatever it’s called damping. Even I can tell the difference. If I had my time again, I’ll get another set of Rebas at 100mm but with the upgraded damping. And a set of traces for the FS.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Forks for Solaris’ is closed to new replies.