Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Fork upgrade – what 160mm forks?
  • prezet
    Free Member

Thinking of upgrading my Pikes to something with a little more travel, ideally from 110/120 – 160mm externally adjustable. They’re to run on my BFe. What are my options?

Fox Talas (expensive)
    Rock Shox Lyriks
    RockShox Domains

Any other options worth considering?

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

+1 for the Talas here. Just make sure you keep ’em cleaned to avoid £200 for new stanchions! 🙁

flyingmonkeycorps

U-Turn Lyriks are great, and a noticeable improvement over Pikes even for a luddite like me who generally struggles to notice things like flat tyres and such.

Can’t speak for the other forks.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Whilst they are not travel adjustable Bos divilles are simply the best trail fork you can get, my friend who believes travel adjust is the future rode mine and decided that he could live without travel adjust because they are that good!

Over the forks you specified I’d get the talas. The instant drop is better then u turn and two step lyrics were plAuged with problems.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I prefer coil u-turn lyriks over talas.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Lyrik uturn are far superior to talas (2009, 2010) in my experience…. I doubt the khasima will make as much a difference as the fox marketing department says it does!! I will be ordering the van 36’s though for my new build though 🙂

wl
    Free Member

Half-price 55RC3 ti forks are on Wiggle, or they were the other day. Only in purple though. Supposed to be mint and reliable.

Bregante

U-turn lyriks for me every time. Well worth the extra weight penalty

forgotmename
    Free Member

I’d agree with ianpinder, on both counts.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

BOS devilles if you can get any – I’ve been waiting three bloody months for mine, at this rate I’ll have to go for another set of Floats – no bad thing but really want the BOS

forgotmename
    Free Member

randomjeremy have you tried oger at r53 engineering?

Trailseeker
    Free Member

These look cheap but still can’t justify 😥

Taz

Anyone know how the BOS devilles comapare to Fox Vans.

Moving from Air to Coil was a revelation (Wotans to TALAS (Wotans were better but miserable quality) to Vans) 2 years ago.

Would need a fair bit of convincing to go back to AIR. Happy to trade off weight & adjust for the coil performance

randomjeremy
    Free Member

forgotmename aye – BOS just keep saying “next week” 🙁

ianpinder
    Free Member

Taz, if you rode both blindfolded I think you would be hard pushed to tell the difference. The devilles sit quite high in the travel, so small but sensitivity is bob on, however unlike other air forks they don’t wallow through the mid stroke so feel really planted at the same time.

Random Jeremy biketart have a pair of tapered 170mm devilles in stock.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i got some coil uturn lyriks off here last week for £210 🙂 used about 8 times or so, as new 🙂

Stunning forks

Taz

Interesting.

I will be building up a new bike next year. I was certain that I would be using Fox Vans but the tart in me fancies the BOS. May need to try them out

grum
    Free Member

I used to have Pikes on my Pitch and upgraded to 36 Vans – world of difference imo, and no heavier. those BOS Deville forks sound great but very spendy.

steveh

BOS all the way if you’re buying new, mine are so good I had to buy a set of the big ones to put on the DH bike. If you’re on a budget then second hand lyirks over 36’s (which are a better fork performance wise) as they are more reliable.

RobHilton
    Free Member

As nobody’s put a vote in for Domains I will!
    Bit heavy, but also a bit good for the price – I got a set off here for a mere £150 and am very chuffed with them. A good balance of plushness v long service intervals.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

arent domains lyriks with steel stanchions, so the same performance but heavier?

trailseeker those lyriks were in the classifieds here and I know he will take less than the price stated in the ad as I nearly bought em, but the 55RCTi was too much of a bargain to miss (but not adjustable which is one of your criteria).

Big fan of lyriks, work brilliantly, are a doddle to service, and not as fragile as Fox.

flyingmonkeycorps

Different damping on Domains too, unless you get (I think) some OEM Lyriks. Domains have Motion Control a la Pikes, Lyriks have the cleverer Mission Control. But confusingly you can also get Lyriks with Motion Control.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Fork upgrade – what 160mm forks?’ is closed to new replies.