Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fork oil – where from?
  • ononeorange

I tried the links on yesterday's thread but got nowhere – where do you buy your 15wt and 5wt oils from?

Cheers

jam-bo

the bike shop just down the road. crazy huh

Keef
    Free Member

car/motorbike shops sell it, much cheaper than bicycle shops an all…..

ononeorange

Not sure my LBS will stretch to it. With the car / motorbike stuff, doesn't some of it contain stuff that can wreck the seals?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not sure my LBS will stretch to it. With the car / motorbike stuff, doesn't some of it contain stuff that can wreck the seals?

We're talking motorbike fork oil here, it's designed for suspension forks so unless you have a special fork that comes with a warning not to use generic fork oil I'm not sure what you'd be talking about that's causing a problem? I've used generic fork oil for best part of a decade with no faults, though I do have a relatively normal set of forks, nothing exotic. Halfords, £4 a litre last time I bought it.

cp

yep, motorbike shop for me. something like £7 a litre for the last stuff I got…

loads of options, just make sure you get fork oil and not engine oil

ononeorange

OK thanks. My comment came from someone talking about swelling agents (for seals).

Cheers for the advice.

Macavity
    Free Member

swelling agents (for seals).

Thats fish that you are thinking of.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Thats just what some singletrack sheep believe about motorcycle oil containing swelling agents. I think the myth may have come from the LBS trying to justify why the oil they sell for forks is twice as expensive for half the ammount! as regular motorcycle oil. Its bit like saying you have to buy special brake cleaner for bikes, another myth.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fork oil – where from?’ is closed to new replies.