Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • fork oil weight vs rebound question
  • bomberman
    Free Member

one for the mechanics…

say my fork takes 7w fork oil (which it does) and i have some 5w fork oil in the garage (which i have). and say i set my rebound somewhere in the middle (which i do). is it acceptable to put the 5w fork oil in instead of 7w and simply slow the rebound? I’m decreasing the size of the hole, but it’s thinner oil so more can get through… how about using 10w oil and speeding the rebound up? can anyone think of a reason not to?

coatesy
    Free Member

You could, but the oil weight will also affect the compression which i’m guessing you have no adjustment for.

bomberman
    Free Member

yeah youre right! thanks coatsey hadn’t thought of that

mboy
    Free Member

as coatesy says, it will affect your compression damping too. Which may or may not be a good thing depending on how you feel about the compression damping on your fork currently.

5w will of course speed up everything (which you can just add a couple of clicks more onto the rebound to compensate for) and help out if you feel the fork spikes too much currently. 10w will slow things down, and will be suitable if you feel your fork currently blows through its travel too easily when loaded up.

bomberman
    Free Member

thanks for that nugget mboy 🙄

bomberman
    Free Member

mboy do you work at TFTuned? well whoever it was i spoke to at TFT was pretty damn helpful because they told me i could basically use the 5wt i already had because im not too heavy and they also said i can mix any two makes or weights of fork oil and it wouldn’t matter. i’m going to use the 5 and see how that feels. also got some 85wt gear oil from my local motorbike shop FREE OF CHARGE which can be used instead of fox float fluid saving me a tenner 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘fork oil weight vs rebound question’ is closed to new replies.