Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fork oil- can I use motorcycle products?
  • Ambrose

I'm going to start servicing my forks a bit more regularly- so I'm going to need some oil. Can I use motorbike oils in my RS Air U turn 426 Revs?

Any particular brands to avoid? Any particularly good brands?

Ta in advance, Ambrose.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

yes – rockoil is good

Trekster

was recommended to me yrs ago and have used it, supposed to be better(then anyway)than the oils around at that time.

retro83
    Free Member

you can, just make sure they don't have seal swelling agents etc

Ambrose

Ta for that. Ordering some RockOil now…

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I've used Motul Factory 7.5 in my Marzocchis for the last five or six years. (In my 66 RC2X) I found the Rock Oil to be poor in comparison – as though it was actually lighter than 7.5. I'm not sure that I ever found good damping settings in the six months I used it and the rebound was very loud; almost wheezey. I switched back to the Motul last month and the fork is back to how I remember it. Before anyone asks: yes, I did check/double-check the oil levels.

Ambrose

I'm a big guy, should I go for eg. 20wt oil as opposed to the stock 15 wt?
    Can I buy some 5wt oil, some 20wt oil and mix the two to make 15wt if need be? Ratio might be 2 parts 20wt to 1 part 5wt? to make 15wt oil. I'm a bit new to this lark, so I'm sort of thinking out loud here.

Kahurangi

Whatever you do DON'T mix Motorbike oil with MTB oil! MTB oil generally goes in the right leg but in a motorbike it goes in the left leg. For this reason the oils are sold with reverse polarity. Mixing them will cause them to heat up and burn your house down!!!

sorry.

brakes
    Free Member

😀

most bike lube/ cleaning products are available for less for motorbikes
    not all 15wts are the same! something to do with specific gravity I think.

interesting article here – wiki

ononeorange

Which reminds me to order some.

What weights(?) is one supposed to use in Rev's – it's 5wt and 15wt isn't it? (For some reason I've only got 7.5wt at home).

bruneep

Tried convince someone that if you add 2.5wt + 5wt you don't get 7.5wt. 🙄

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its 5wt in the damper and 15wt in the semi bath, although I personally think a fully synthetic motor oil does a better job of lubing the semi-bath.

BigJohn

My Magura Menjas just need oil for lubing the stanchions. I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic and when I popped the lowers off on Saturday to give them a wipe they were in magnificent condition. (Cue nasty tumble against low stone wall)

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Doing exactly the same to my revs at the minute and I just ordered Silkoline oil from http://www.opieoils.co.uk they also do motul and another make too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fork oil- can I use motorcycle products?’ is closed to new replies.