• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by g5604.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fork knocking??
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

My Reba forks on my 2 month old Whyte T129s seems to have a knock, when holding the front brake on and wobbling back and forward there is a bit of movement which ithought was the headset or brake pads rattling but on investigation it seems to be the forks. On holding the stanchions and lowers it feels like it is rattling, particularly on the non disc side. Is this normal or something to be worried about?

singlespeedstu

Sounds like the bushings need re sizing.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Really on forks ridden max 6 times?

takisawa2

Had some Fox that went quickly a few years ago.
    Can you actually feel the movement if gripping the stanchion & lower…it’s not just the fork moving is it ?

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Do they have any movement when compressed a little?

bigbloke
    Free Member

No movement went compressed a little. Just retightened headset, seems a tiny bit better but still there. If I hold lowers and stanchions I can’t feel anything but it’s not in a stand. If I hold the stanchions I can feel a knocking, the tyre seems to move a little forwards n back, maybe fork moving??. Bit paranoid now.

singlespeedstu

I had a Lyric that needed the bushings adjusting after a couple of rides.
    Put your finger between the stanchion and the brace. The rock the bike backwards and forward with the front brake on.
    Is there any movement there?

Edit.

the tyre seems to move a little forwards n back

Floating rotor? Brake pads moving in the caliper?

walla24
    Free Member

1) are you brake pads moving in the calliper? mine do (XT finned pads) – normal
    2) are your rotor bolts loose?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Had a set of revs that did it, Was a problem with the Air cartridge side of it.

soulwood
    Free Member

It’s how they are I’m afraid, something to do with the solo air design. When the fork compresses the wobble goes, when it is extended it is lightly loose. You can still find the SRAM tech doc if you google it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Return to shop for a second opinion, May get them sorted on warranty – one of the things you get with a new bike.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@soulwood – they would say that wouldn’t they, saves them the hassle of dealing with a recall/mass warranty returns and not the first time I’ve heard a manufacturer pull the stunt, followed by product revisions where the problem miraculously disappears i.e. gets quietly fixed.

I’ve got the same problem with Sektors (it’s not the headset or disc bolts), appears to be more than a single isolated incident when you search around.

g5604
    Free Member

Loosen the stem bolts, then tighten the top cap bolt

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fork knocking??’ is closed to new replies.