Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Grab your missus and help me with some exterior design, please!
  • bearnecessities

Eventually, the squat is getting new windows & doors. This also involves a new window being put in the vacuous space where there clearly should be one (evident by photo below)

It’s not cheap, in fact it’s the most I’ve actually spent on anything, ever.

I’m going with white window frames rather than brown, to make a feature as the brickwork I don’t think, is clean enough to show off brown frames, pus I have no creative imagination.

Thing is, I have no idea at all, what door colour to pick, or style.

It’ll be a composite, and I can pick anything I want and any colour, style and glass from here.

I really want the door to be a nice, stand-out feature and my risk-averse option of rosewood might just look a bit…bland. Salesman, and pleasant and un-pushy as he is, is no help.

But red would look great with brass fittings! Wouldn’t it? Or blue? Or green?

Or white?

Help?

bearnecessities

Should mention that the door casing will be white, to match windows.

(and thanks for any experience/advice!)

ElShalimo

You live in West Yorkshire, security is the main feature to consider not aesthetic
    😉

There are some really nice doors available nowadays but blummin’ pricey. Composite doors seem pretty secure but no doubt someone will come along and say that’s total crap.
    Use a door website design tool to get a feel for it
    https://designer.adoored.co.uk/#/item/0/0/ranges

Rockape63
    Free Member

Best to stick with simple and popular schemes rather than risky colours. Therefore white windows, white door, chrome door furniture, no diamond leaded lights, large square/rectangular if necessary.

Not to be overthought, you can do that indoors!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Black door brass furniture

bearnecessities

Cheers ElShalimo 🙂 I can have whatever door I want in the deal, from that link above (which will be composite).

It’s just I want to be brave and pick a nice strong colour that will be a nice feature, but no idea what colour that is.

Surprisingly, there aren’t any houses that I’ve driven by with such grim/industrial brickwork as mine, with imaginative door colours…..hence clutching at straws and turning to here for some inspiration/experience.

sandwicheater

Rock doors are the bomb. We’ve a stable door at the rear that has a white frame with the door being dark blue gray. I like it. Was about £1200 but it looks great.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Chartwell green (from linky in op) for that touch of class. White plastic looks almost as cheap as fake plastic wood.
    Edit: with silver/chrome door furniture obviously.

Sui
    Free Member

Had a look at that website, it doesn’t say if they are solid composite or not, some companies ml composites have a styrene foam inner that are god awful products and a security nightmare, check it is a layered solid door, they should cost no more than about 800-1000 quid if you look around. Personally I would go for a good bright solid colour. I fitted one recently an played safe with a traditional design..
    I regret it!

bearnecessities

Nice colour, thanks Lady G. This is why op asks for ‘your partner’s input’ you unimaginative morons (of which I am one 🙂 )

You think that will work with the manky northern brickwork though?

wallop

Some venetian blinds in your new windows will look pretty smart, too.

http://www.247blinds.co.uk/

bearnecessities

Thanks Sui, I’ll be sure to check that out. It’s a pretty reputable local company +Kingfisher) so I’m fairly sure they don’t use/buy crap….but I’ll check!

Edit: Cheers wallop, but bruneep from here put me onto blinds 2go for the venetians and I’ve been very happy with them for rooms done so far – bedroom 1, landing and bathroom. (Photo in op is from day I got the keys)

wallop

Chartwell green is lovely but is probably more suited to a period property. I’d stick with black , personally, with brushed steel/brushed chrome furniture. We had this on our old house and it looked good.

wallop

On the composite doors – make sure you’re happy with the locking arrangements. For example, on our next door we will be having a thumb turn on the inside rather than a key turn – my husband once left the house leaving the key on the inside of the lock, so couldn’t get back in – it cost him £85 to get a locksmith out (an expensive Sunday paper!).

solarpowered
    Free Member

May I say first of all… You’re very lucky! What a lovely looking house!
    I’ve had a look and of course a lot of this is personal preference but here goes…. The style(if safety is not a huge issue) I’d go for half moon and mid or top lites and mid…. These styles would fit well with window shapes already there.
    I’d definately go green! I think blue is too cold a look for such a warm looking property and reds can argue with one another (your red brick for example).
    For glass, if you go that way, I love the look of either prairie, royals or Venetia in green.
    Good luck and please show us pictures once you’ve got the work done 🙂

Sui
    Free Member

I’m sure they’ll be fine, just surprised it’s not stated, composite by definition means polyurethane inner normally as opposed to the styrene. If it’s effing heavy it will be the good stuff.

bearnecessities

Wallop & Sui, again good advice thanks. We’re nearing contract completion time so I’ll be sure to get the right locking and ensure door isn’t pish.

Solar Powered, that’s very kind of you and yes I do regard myself as very lucky (although you should see how I’ve been living! ) – I still keep looking back on that thread for hits and tips – I’ll update it soon!

Green is also an interesting suggestion. I don’t suppose anyone actually has a red brick house with a striking door colour?!

crankboy
    Free Member

We live in a white rendered house we have green with silver fittings i think from your link . it looks stylish . our better neighbouring doors are black with silver . i personally hate white or wood colours .
    My mum in a period terrace has royal blue which also looks nice.

ourmaninthenorth

Navy blue. Chrome fittings.

Bunnyhop

My choice would be the dual glazed, without any fancy lead lights or patterns.
    Dark Grey, Black or dark green for colour.

Sorry but any blinds other than fabric, just remind me of any office 😕

wallop

I agree – metal blinds or vertical blinds look officey but wooden blinds with a wide slat can avoid that. That said, I can’t stand dusting them so we are getting Roman blinds in our new house! 😆

woody2000

Nothing to add other than to say I know exactly where you live OP. I’ll give you a wave on my way past, I work in the area. The pink house is the giveaway 🙂

Bunnyhop

Wallop – Good choice (its what I make for a living) 🙂

Bear – are you going to paint your house blue, to carry on the local theme?

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Green–it works really well with red (look how nice the green of the trees looks against the red of the wall)–and half glazed or two small top glass panels (depending on how much the hall needs the light from the front door). Smart looking house!

ElShalimo

I think we’re all wrong
    The obvious choice is the same elegant shade of pink as your neighbour

wrightyson
    Free Member

Cream foil on white with black door and chrome fittings. Can find out the best fabricators up your way if you like. I can also get composite doors for 300 sheets at the moment but think its a “family” only thing. Let me know re the fabricators.

kayak23

v666ern
    Free Member

This also involves a new window being put in the vacuous space where there clearly should be one (evident by photo below)

Planning permission?

globalti
    Free Member

Get a metal-wood-metal laminated door from Ian Firth. They are very strong, well insulated and look great.

Pale sage greens are fashionable for door and window frames. Wood effect is deeply naff.,

Stainless steel furniture looks good for years.

A bright coloured door says “welcome” and is helpful when directing visitors.

senorj

Lady G +1 – I like green doors….there might be an old piano….. 🙂

bearnecessities

Kayak 😆

Think green is looking most likely; will try not to deliberate too much about what shade of green!

(Thanks WS, but considering various factors, want everything done & guaranteed by one firm)

..and building regs included.

miketually
    Free Member

We’ve a 1920s red brick semi and went for a red composite door a few years ago. It used to be really useful for directing visitors because every other house in the street had wood or white PVC, but they’ve all copied us now.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Grab your missus and help me with some exterior design, please!’ is closed to new replies.