Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Forest of Dean MTB Enduro – 21st Sept 2014
  • rdfcc
    Free Member

Just a shout out for this event.

Forest of Dean MTB Enduro

Sunday 21st September 2014

Starts at 10:30 a.m.

The 9th Forest of Dean Enduro

10, 20 or 40 miles of superb Forest riding here in the beautiful Forest of Dean. This corresponds to one, two or four laps of a 100% off-road course.

This event is organised by the Lions Clubs of the Forest of Dean with valuable assistance from the Royal Dean Forest Cycling Club. All profits from the event will be given away to local good causes including the trail maintenance in the FoD.

Team Event In the Team event all 4 members of the team start together. The times for each team member will be added together.

The Forest of Dean is in Gloucestershire, near Bristol and Gloucester and Chepstow in Wales. It is easily reached by road from the M48, M4, M5 and M50 motorways.

http://www.fodmbe.org.uk/dean_enduro_mtb.php

philfive
    Free Member

So it’s endurance

darrenspink
    Free Member

OP..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enduro_(mountain_biking)

“Enduro is a form of Mountain bike racing in which there is a greater proportion of downhill sections, which are timed, to uphill and cross country sections. This aims to test rider’s technical bike handling skills as well as providing endurance and climbing.
    According to the Enduro World Series 2014 Rule Book, a minimum of four special stages is required per event, a minimum of three different courses must be used, and the results will be calculated by adding all stage times together for each rider.[1]
    Enduro differs from XC cross-country cycling racing (which historically has more emphasis on cardiovascular fitness and less emphasis on technical ability) and pure downhill cycling racing formats, which may contain little to no climbing or cross country skills.”

psling
    Free Member

I’m guessing you boys are young pups, relatively new to MTBing, or trolls. The term ‘enduro’ has been used in MTB events for a number of years to represent a longer distance cross-country event, whether rightly or wrongly.
    Over the last couple of years or so it has been used for stage events as you suggest, similar to mx type events and this is probably a more accurate use of the name but doesn’t detract from the fact that it has been used in MTB parlance for longer to represent the type of event advertised. Which is why the newer events generally precede ‘enduro’ with ‘gravity’.

ps – it’s a pretty good ride and a great way to see more of the FoD trails. Oh, and pps, some of the earliest ‘gravity enduros’ in UK were held in the FoD some years ago albeit by invitation only.

philfive
    Free Member

Thanks for clearing that up PSLING but I always thought that since the rise of “enduro” actual endurance races weren’t going to use the term enduro but endurance so there is no confusion. Thanks for the history lesson though.

kimbers

I remember when this was all fields …. That was enduro racing hmmmmm

philfive
    Free Member

Fields just aren’t enduro enough.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I saw someone at a trail centre the other other with an XC lid for the climbs and a full-face for the downs. HE was enduro.

So enduro.

v666ern
    Free Member

I highly recommend the enduro to anyone, IMO the route is much better than verderers.
    Note you don’t want to be taking a full face for this! There are gnar bits, but all rollable if needed

rOcKeTdOg

It’s a great course through the forest, did it last year, very rooty, lots of singletrack a great blast

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Forest of Dean MTB Enduro – 21st Sept 2014’ is closed to new replies.