Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Forest of Dean – Dowies
  • Rickos
    Free Member

Going for a pootle on Saturday afternoon and I think that Dowies is pretty much out of bounds while they fell a load of trees in that area. Is that right? Is any of it worthwhile venturing over for?

sheldona
    Free Member

I've not been over that way for a couple of weeks as I've been busy getting the SSEC course sorted. However I have heard the felling has finished so maybe just maybe it will be ridable, if you could let me know I'd appreciate it!

ObscuraSky
    Free Member

Rode over to Dowies last weekend; the Motorcycle Trail, and the lower (muddy) track, that nobody can agree the name of, are still rideable, but Dowies 1 and 2 are definately out-of-action for the time being. I'd suggest sticking to the Cycle Centre for now – they've done some work there and most of the downhills are now marked – so there's plenty to do; MAP

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

dowies? wheres that?

grahamh
    Free Member

Not telling 😉

zangolin
    Free Member

Dowies is in this area:

http://www.multimap.com/s/j9G3Nm2e

mattsccm
    Free Member

Between the red cirlce and the b of Bromley. Still fairly debris covered but you can pick your way through. Still extracting timber and yesterday I could hear big stuff coming down in that general area.
    However in the area,strating from the gravel track curving around to the left of Bromley on the map are two nice bits. They go left and right of Bromley hill, roughly where the small track marked comes of the wider one. Left is bomb holes right is faster narrow and smoother.Both get you to the blue 08 .

Rickos
    Free Member

Thanks all. Think I'll give it a miss for now then.

mboy
    Free Member

Doughies was rideable on Saturday.

That said, wasn't the best conditions I've ever ridden it, and there was a lot of extra foliage on the ground due to the felling.

Rode Doughies 2 too, but to be fair, it was a bit of a quagmire (when is it not!).

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I swear grahamh is following me round threads and not letting me know where trails are – wasn't it the same with some cranham tracks or something. to be honest I don't blame you! ha ha.
    I really should go exploring my local areas more!

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Rode the original Dowies last night, its fine (as mboy says)just watch out for sticks flicking up into your mech.. 😥 the other two Dowies (in the same forest section) are still trashed but now the felling has moved on I guess it will slowly get cleared.

The Roller Coaster (before Dowies) is a mix of drying mud and gloop making for some unpredictable fun 🙂

ObscuraSky
    Free Member

Never heard of the 'Roller Coaster'?

psling
    Free Member

Never heard of the 'Roller Coaster'?

Locally known as 'H's or 'Henrys'.

ObscuraSky
    Free Member

davidxbrown:

The Roller Coaster (before Dowies) is a mix of drying mud and gloop making for some unpredictable fun

Took a trip over to Dowies yesterday but couldn't find this track. As you climb to the top of the hill from Mary-Rose's pottery, with Dowies through the woods on your left, there's some tracks on the right. Had a little ride on them, but they didn't seem too exciting – is that the 'Rollercoaster'?

CourtHMP
    Free Member

obs – I think davidxbrown is talking about 'son of dowies'

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Forest of Dean – Dowies’ is closed to new replies.