Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ford Mondeo 2010, adding the iPod connection to it.
  • Rochey
    Free Member

First of all, I currently have access to the Aux port via a headphone socket in the glove box, so I can play my music, however………….

I want up be able to charge and change the tracks via this wheel, can anyone advice.

Based in Milton Keynes.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

In my 2009 SMax I use a Bluetooth dongle that plugs into the aux port in the glove box. The dongle I has a battery so it can be tucked away in the glove box while working. On longer journeys where the dongle battery won’t last it has a USB lead for charging which a do with a fag lighter socket USB plug. Works great and was only about a fiver off ebay. Had it for over 12 months now.

Jamie
    Free Member

In my fiesta I just pulled the original stereo and replaced with one of these. Bought a second hand iPod classic off eBay with a bust screen, and it lives in the glove box.

Edit: After a swift bit of Googling, I retract my above suggestion as it looks a pain in the arse to change the stock setup in a 2010 Mondeo and have a decent finish…..I thought my 03 Fiesta was bad enough.

This looks interesting, though: http://www.talkford.com/topic/201122-how-to-for-retrofitting-usb-post-08-2008-builds/

Frankenstein
    Free Member

A few years back I bought a head unit that had blue tooth, aux and a USB socket.

I just use a USB to hook the pod/phone for charging or playback/sat nav/Skype.

I can use Bluetooth for calls hands free.

I can plug directly into aux or chuck a memory/usb stick into the USB.

Your mondeo is probably a double din unit so you could buy a new head unit with a blanking plate + cable interface.

Or buy a touch screen head unit to access your pod/phone apps. No blanking plates needed.

theotherjonv

Wobbliscott, does that just convert the bluetooth output from the iPod into an audio signal that goes through the aux cable? ie, you still can’t control the iPod from the steering wheel controls.

Any link to where to get the dongle?

Rochey
    Free Member

As above also please.

nickdavies

Have you got the USB port as well or not? If so, then you need a Y cable to feed the ipod to the usb and aux in.

If not, you need an adapter to connect the ipod to the stereo, usually one that goes into the cd changer port. This should give you connectivity and at least basic controls from the steering wheel, back/forward. It will also be powered to charge the ipod.
    http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/car-accessories/ipod-car-kits/ford_1084

There’s a list on there of products – you’ll need to know the model of your head unit to work out what’s best though. I don’t think you can get any of the fancy ones to work with a stock 10 mondeo, so you’ll probably be best off with one of the £50 connects2 units.

Rochey
    Free Member

Sounds good, I just need someone to fit it now.

nickdavies

Not overly hard, get a set of radio keys when ordering an interface, it will mostly be plug and play apart from you’ll need to take a switched live from the cigarette lighter to power the unit and maybe take bits of the dash apart to hide the box somewhere….

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Consider the price of a new head-unit and free fitting from shops if the labour and Y-cable are near £70 as there are some cracking offers out there.

But it’s not difficult to fit the Y- cable yourself.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Theotherjonv, no, you can’t control the iPod from your head unit or steering controls, I just stick it on random track, which is probably the best feature MP3 players have given us. So many great track I haven’t heard for a long long time! One additional benefit is if you’re using google maps as a sat nav, the audio directions come over the stereo via the Bluetooth.

I don’t think with Fords any aftermarket solution can utilise the steering or head unit controls. Even my mates later SMax with USB connection can’t. I figured for a fiver you can’t go wrong and it saves ditching the oem head unit which will look and not in keeping with the interior design. I may be getting old but most aftermarket head units all look too larey and blingy for me, really cheap and naff. Might be ok in a Corsa that looks like its crashed into a Halfords sale.

Rochey
    Free Member

Guys, I have no clue how yo do it so I would have to get someone to do it.

Can you recommend someone in the Milton Keynes area.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 mondo which has a USB port in the glove box, once plugged in you have full control via the head unit / steering wheel controls. The Bluetooth connection works exactly the same with my phone

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I ave a connects2 kit on a 2010 Transit and on a 2005 Berlingo. Both work brilliantly from the steering wheel controls. Speak to Connects2 direct for advice.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

This is a link to the sort of thing I’ve got…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-3-5mm-Bluetooth-A2DP-Stereo-HiFi-Audio-Music-Receiver-Dongle-Adapter-/310707596636?pt=US_USB_Bluetooth_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item48579dad5c

Is seems my mate with his later SMax has not Sussed out how to use his system properly. Neither of us could get it to work. Maybe there has been a software update or something.

Cougar

There’s two versions of that (OP) kit.

The later revision supports A2DP for bluetooth audio streaming and has USB connectors. The older version does not.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ford Mondeo 2010, adding the iPod connection to it.’ is closed to new replies.