• This topic has 42 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • The Buzzard has landed…
  • Cheezpleez

Just finished building this little beauty…

Singular Buzzard 001

Can’t wait to get out for a first ride. 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

+1

mattjg
    Free Member

“They are fiercely territorial, and, though rare, fights do break out if one strays onto another pair’s territory, but dominant displays of aggression will normally see off the interloper.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Buzzard

everyone else stay away!

glupton1976
    Free Member

There is something about that bike that looks wrong. Maybe it’s just the perspective of the picture though.

Cheezpleez

Perspective is a bit odd in the pic. Bars could maybe do with dropping a smidge and I think I may have finally found my personal bar width limit wth the 800mm Nukeproofs. Other than that, I’m happy.

Cheezpleez

Matt, I hear Buzzards are particularly aggressive towards Yelli Screamies. I’d take extra care not to leave any offal on your saddle.

Atomizer

Is that a medium frame?
    Looks lovely!

mattjg
    Free Member

Buzzards rely on bluster, Yellis rely on stealth.

Nicely built by the way. White rims are a brave move.

How to respond …. Nimble 9?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Don’t show this to Clink, please!

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of Canfields ready to ambush that buzzard

singlecrack
    Free Member

Oh god yeah Clink will be posting his frames on the classifieds as we speak ready for a new Buzzard

Cheezpleez

So it’s had it’s maiden flight and I’m impressed. It does what I hoped it would – combines the fast, smooth rolling of big wheels with the playfulness and agility of a 26in hardtail a la 456/Soul.

It was super-confident on a couple of technical drops that I sometimes think twice about on my C456 and happy over jumps and being muscled through tight woodsy switchbacks.

I got used to the 800mm bars very quickly but they may yet get trimmed as I had a couple of close encounters with trees.

It’s not light but it’s not Cyril Smith either. My shonky scales read 28lbs or so but I can’t say I noticed the heft over a fairly rapid 2-hour ride.

Think I’m in love.

Cheezpleez

@ Atomizer Yes it’s a medium and fits me fine at 5ft 9 ish

Mbnut
    Free Member

Did you weigh the frame by any chance?

mattjg
    Free Member

I got used to the 800mm bars very quickly but they may yet get trimmed as I had a couple of close encounters with trees.

Not ridden mine in anger yet but I had a close encounter with the garden gate!

Candodavid
    Free Member

Looks a bit short along the top tube?
    Or am I just not looking correctly

Cheezpleez

@ Mbnut – no but Sam reckoned about 5.6lb, I think, and that seemed about right. V similar to my Inbred 29er

slackalice
    Free Member

That does look very nice indeed! Nice build and it sounds like you’re going to love riding it!

Enjoy 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

ps shed door woodworm very orderly.

Cheezpleez

Top tube is shortish but it’s fine for me. The pic makes it look shorter than it is

Candodavid
    Free Member

Would be interesting to compare against my 2souls QH

brakes
    Free Member

I thought Singular just did singlespeeds?

mattjg
    Free Member

Does it fell like steel?

I thought Singular just did singlespeeds?

Nope.

jamj1974

Looks good!

Cheezpleez

Steel feel? Dunno, feels very smooth, definitely not harsh but then neither’s you Yelli

mattjg
    Free Member

I rode Cheez’s Buzzard today, back to back with my Yelli Screamy.

There are fair differences in the build (Mine is more XC – lighter wheels and singlespeed) but in terms of the frame ride itself, I didn’t see much in it.

Compared to a Yelli Screamy, the Buzzard frame is a tiny bit heavier, a tiny bit shorter ETT and half the price but rides very similarly.

mikey74
    Free Member

That could really do with a short cage rear mech.

mattjg
    Free Member

Dood, he knows that, frequent chain drops.

Cheezpleez

Mikey, you’re so right. Lots of chain dropping today. Short cage mech and proper chain device needed – other than that, it’s amazing.

Clobber
    Free Member

Really pleased with mine too…

Short cage rear mech + pauls components chain device = zero chain drops

Clobber
    Free Member

Mine looks more in proportion than that, pics of mine on singular facebook page

Sam

Glad to hear those who’ve got them are liking them!

Clobber’s bike (joining the dots…)

Any more pics?

If anyone wants to demo one there is one at Kinetic Cycles in Welwyn GC, and shortly will be one at UBYK in Oxford. Not sure but I think Plush Hill in Shropshire also are getting one built.

Kinetic’s demo (size L)

Gotama
    Free Member

Sam, do you have any XL’s around to demo? Ideally at head for the hills in dorking. Clobber’s one looks just right, makes my yelli, although i love it, look like its been beaten with an ugly stick.

mattjg
    Free Member

^^ slippery slope!

Gotama
    Free Member

I don’t know what you mean 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

FWIW I was initially put off by the burly look of the Buzzard images on the Singular site, and some of the photos. I don’t need a burly bike, I’m more into flowing fun. Ahem. (I remember thinking “that’s a 29er BFe, not the bike for me”).

Anyway in the flesh, it doesn’t look that way, it’s more proportional in my opinion. Cheez’ has big tyres on his at the top of the page, that makes a difference, and a little extra travel. I’d probably buy a Buzzard if I was buying today instead of, errr, 4 weeks ago! VFM is certainly a factor there, my second hand Yelli frame cost more than a new Buzzard, and isn’t warrantied of course.

But I like the look of my Yelli too – this is a medium, de-decalled with 2.25 tyres and 800mm bars, forks at 120mm ->

Gotama
    Free Member

Yeah, to be honest i go through phases of thinking it looks good so i should probably just mark down to new bike-itis. I do like my swift hence why i’m also drawn to this, also like thin steel tubing rather than alu purely from an aesthetic point of view. Taking the kiddy style stickers off does improve the yelli, I’ve taken the top tube one off mine.

Off topic how do you get on with the nobby nic on the front? Can’t stand the hans dampf so looking for something else and i’m currently using a mud x which is great until a point. Dampf is great when its dry, fine when its wet but in that claggy damp in between i find it nigh on useless. Squirms everywhere when pushed and doesn’t clear well at all. Wish maxxis would bring out the minion in something other than a 2.5 inch 1kg monster.

Clobber
    Free Member

Thinking about a butcher on the front of mine when it gets beyond ardent territory.

Gotama if you’re ever over my way Peterboroughish, you’re welcome to try the buzzard in XL flavour…

mattjg
    Free Member

That’s a ’13 Snakeskin ‘Nic. I’m no tyre guru, I don’t claim to push them close to their limits, but I do wonder if the knob coverage could go a bit wider – the sidewalls look quite bare and vertical to me and I do think I’ve had it squirm once or twice. I’m tempted to put a ’13 Ron on the front, which looks a bit beeffier than the previous versions.

But Schwalbe make millions of tyres, it’s likely they know more than me!

I don’t think I need bigger than 2.25 tyres for my riding but Cheez’ Buzzard has big OnOnes (smorgasbord? monkey?) on Flows and I flippin’ well noticed on the bermy run in of Evian. That bike just rolled over it like it was carpet. More effort to drag it back up though, of course. Overall my Yelli setup is more XC than his Buzz.

(I am thinking a may take a 10mm spacer out of my forks and put it back to 130mm).

Clobber
    Free Member

Forgot about the chunkymonkey… GREAT front tyre!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘The Buzzard has landed…’ is closed to new replies.