Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • For those who have not had their bikes nicked (yet) – a suggestion
  • Leku
    Free Member

Lock, register it etc but at least always when leaving your bike remove the front axle and hide it.

Have read a number of reports of people chasing the thief down the road. This happened to my two bikes but it was my neighbour doing the chasing.

JohnnyPanic

Always lock the front wheels off my bike away separately, and the maxles also locked & hidden elsewhere. Bikes are high up on a wall anchor with a hefty chain & lock.

They will get your bike if they’re prepared & determined but anything you can do to slow them down or make it noisy is worth the effort.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

or take the pedals off – it’s hard to ride a bike with no pedals 😀

woody2000

Stick it in the hardest gear too, better still change gear but don’t engage it – when they set off pedalling they’ll get a bit of a surprise (maybe!)

Schweiz
    Free Member

Drain all the fluid out of your hydraulic hoses. I live at the top of a hill too. That’ll learn ’em.

Cheers
    Schweiz

slowjo
    Free Member

Or make sure they can get hold of the fixie without any difficulty then see them go over the front when they try to stop!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Loosen the stem bolts. From experience (new bike build / eager to ride etc), you’ll really bust yourself up badly if your stem is only as tight as the top cap. I’d pay good money to see someone try and nick a bike, attempt to turn and go head first into a wall/oncoming car etc so I could then casually wander over, do a wee on their bleeding face and recover the bike.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“remove the front axle and hide it”

But couldnt they then sue you for causing them injury when they get on the bike and it collapses.. wouldn’t you have to put a warning sign up first?

mintimperial

Drain all the fluid out of your hydraulic hoses. I live at the top of a hill too. That’ll learn ’em.

My first proper bike (a 1991 Breezer Storm) was nicked without any brake pads on it, we lived at the top of a hill then too. Sadly there were no reports of damaged scallies embedded in stone walls and I never saw the bike again.

AngusWells

Most of the (possible) tea leafs round our way seem to spend their time showing off their wheelies and they’re much better at it than me. I have to concentrate to manual up the kerb. So chances are no front wheel would be more of a challenge to them and not a hindrance.

crazy-legs

Stick it in the hardest gear too, better still change gear but don’t engage it – when they set off pedalling they’ll get a bit of a surprise (maybe!)

This has worked for 2 mates. One guy had his bike nicked off the back of his car as he was loading up – went into the house to get something, as he came out someone rode past on his bike having untied it from the rear rack. he gave chase, the guy was trying to pedal but the gears were crunching all over so in the end the thief dropped the bike and legged it. He hadn’t even meant to change gears, the lever had obviously been knocked when he put the bike on the rack.

Second one was a courier who always did that when he locked his bike up, sometimes undoing the front QR as well. He got in serious trouble with the police once for kicking the shit out of a bike thief who’d fallen off but in the end he got away with a self defence and “injuries sustained during the fall” argument.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Was think about this the other day, going to see if i can set up a box on the wall near the bike that says keys on it, with a cheap lock on it that is easy to brake with a paint bomb in it, might slow them down put them off, i can face it to the garage door so won’t get to much on other stuff but only thinking about it probably is stupid idea. 😕

I did think about a mini garage alarm but unless you spend a lot they look rubbish.

At the moment there chain and anchored to the wall. Hope that’s enough.
    front axle and hide it, is a good idea, will do that when i get home.

AlexSimon

But couldnt they then sue you for causing them injury when they get on the bike and it collapses.. wouldn’t you have to put a warning sign up first?

Surely the thief should have carried out a risk assessment first, then they would have easily found the broken item and decided not to take it.

(what a strange H&S bollocks world we live in)

arcoolc
    Free Member

A good one I remember (but this was for generic garage protection) was to have an upside down jar on the shelf with the lid screwed to the shelf. Then have an emergency £5/£10 note in it.

Do up the jar as tight as possible with something like an oil filter remover so it couldn’t be undone with gloves on.

Then as scrumbag breaks into your garage they will see the cash and will HAVE to try and get it, they’ll need to remove their gloves and so leave some great fingerprints for plod.

james
    Free Member

No saddle/seatpost, flat tyres, cageless SPDs and SS didn’t stop mine being ridden off. Managed to follow the tracks over january muddy/clayey fields to the back before they stopped where some 4×4 marks started

scottfitz
    Free Member

A good one I remember (but this was for generic garage protection) was to have an upside down jar on the shelf with the lid screwed to the shelf. Then have an emergency £5/£10 note in it.

Do up the jar as tight as possible with something like an oil filter remover so it couldn’t be undone with gloves on.

Then as scrumbag breaks into your garage they will see the cash and will HAVE to try and get it, they’ll need to remove their gloves and so leave some great fingerprints for plod. like it but they might just take the jar.

RobHilton
    Free Member

or smash it?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I was gonna fit a full CO2 extinguisher package to the garage to protect against “fires”. Asphyxiation ought to slow them down.

The main benefactors of this thread are going to be trail centres selling axles and QR’s to people who left theirs in their hidey holes.

Splitting the chain would be as effective, with the plus side I always have spare split-links

philfive
    Free Member

fit a cage to the inside of your shed, bolt it into the sides of the shed. will take some serious effort to get past it. 😀

willard

Dig a cellar beneath the shed, with cement walls and a hidden access point to the shed. Then, when the scrotes break in, they will find an empty shed (maybe with some token garden equipment of a ratbike whilst the pride and joy is securely hidden in its own little panic room beneath.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Dig a cellar beneath the shed, with cement walls and a hidden access point to the shed. Then, when the scrotes break in, they will find an empty shed (maybe with some token Tiger and a shark and a clown garden equipment of a ratbike whilst the pride and joy is securely hidden in its own little panic room beneath.

neilthewheel

The main benefactors of this thread are going to be trail centres selling axles and QR’s to people who left theirs in their hidey holes.

😳

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘For those who have not had their bikes nicked (yet) – a suggestion’ is closed to new replies.