Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)
  • For those interested parties (one armed rider update)
  • TN
    Free Member

ir_bandito – Thanks for that. We looked at the Rohloff early on, following my original thread. The main problem with that is the price. If he had a fancier bike it might be a consideration but the bike only cost us about £350.
    Hope your hand is feeling a bit less sore this morning.

clareymorris

Fair play that is awesome………..great to see someone just getting on with it. Please, do keep us all updated throughtout the year I’m sure it’ll get many a fair weather rider out on the bike!!!

TN
    Free Member

Hi folks.

Next update.
    It’s not that exciting but he’s buying a full susser – a Felt Virtue 3 -(subject to it fitting him) on Friday. I think I *may* have just about convinced him he ought to buy a full face helmet too.
    He is planning a trip round Strines Moor for the inaugural ride. 🙂

Oh yeah, and we got married on Friday!

T

owenfackrell
    Free Member

8)

Oh yeah, and we got married on Friday

Congratulations.

Heres to more happy times on the bike.

lister

congratulations! 🙂

currently i only have the use of 1 arm and the next 10 weeks are going to seem long, complete hats off for you man and his drive to just keep doing stuff whatever the situation, truely inspirational!

crikey
    Free Member

The pair of you are an inspiration, keep on keepin’ on!

(and you looked proper lovely in that photo)

Verbal-Kint
    Free Member

serious respect due there, love the climbing pic!
    I spoke with a guy who had a below sholder amputation and had an arm with interchangeable ends, one of which was a ball end, which clipped into a socket on the handlebars (Like a lot of sat-nav mounts) and an adjustable damper at the elbow. He used a fairly long travel fork with it set with a lot of sag and felt really comfortable riding most UK trails

crispybacon
    Free Member

Congratulations to you both & may you have many happy years together 😀

Glad to hear that J is still riding & that he is now going full suss – way to go feller!

PS I’m currently at home with 30 stitches in my shoulder & my arm in a sling – the next few weeks off the rig is going to be bloody murder 😕

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Congrats all the best, ride on! 😀

swamp_boy

That is absolutely amazing, just shows what you can do with enough will power. Puts my little bumps and scrapes into perspective.

Northwind

There’s not that many one-armed cyclists but there are a fair few one-armed motorcyclists (we make more of a habit of mislaying limbs than most people I think). Some of the challenges/solutions are probably similiar, so it might be worth a look here:

http://forum.disabledbiker.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=1

on the NABD website to see if there’s anything helpful. A thumb brake might be doable for the rear, frinstance. Might be no use at all but you never know

vdubber67
    Free Member

I guess I missed the history behind this amazing story, but all I can say is massively positive, happy vibes go out to you both. Wedding pic looks lovely, and you can’t beat the number of bar / shifter recommendations you get on here can you!? 🙂

vdubber67
    Free Member

Oh, and I’ve just found Chris’ marathon sponsorship page and donated 😉

dalepoint
    Free Member

quite amazing I wish you both all the best for the future.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Congratulations!!! Fab picture.

TN
    Free Member

Hi all.

verbal-kint – at the moment a prosthetic isn’t really feasible due to the height of J’s amputation, but we are pushing and pushing the hospital to try to provide a stable ‘shoulder’ so we can hopefully get the university on the case. There are certainly some amazing riding arms about though, if you can get the bit that attaches to the body sorted…

lister – what’s up with your arm? Are you definitely banned from riding or is it too painful? 🙁

crispy bacon – same question? What’ve you done? Sounds pretty big and painful…

Northwind – nabd website is really interesting isn’t it? J has just ordered an automatic clutch for his motorbike, so hopefully he’ll be back on that quite soon too. Having seen some of the one armed bikers on YouTube there’s no reason why he shouldn’t! (Nice terminology about bikers mislaying limbs. LOL. It is quite true though.)

vdubber – thanks for donating, most kind. How did you find the link? Chris is doing really well with his training considering he’s not been much of a runner until about 6 months ago!! I’m so proud of him!

TN
    Free Member

vdubber – just worked out how you found the link but for anyone else who might want to help, and in the spirit of being really cheeky, here’s a link to his sponsorship page. My brother is running his first marathon on May 17th for Bone Cancer Research Trust: http://www.justgiving.com/chrisnewmanswindermerebonebreaker

Thanks.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

This is easily the best (And probably the most long running!) story/thread on STW. I don’t have much advice I can contribute, but I always read it through. It’s just so positive….
    “I can’t” is obviously not in your vocabulary!
    🙂

Huge congratulations on your marriage, I got hitched recently and it’s the best day ever, isn’t it? You are both very lucky to have each other, I can see that!
    Lastly thanks for the pic, it’s good to put a face to the names, I feel like I know you two somehow.
    :mrgreen:

crispybacon
    Free Member

Hi TN, after some devastating news a few weeks ago yesterday I had a ‘wide local excision’ which has left me with over 30 stitches in my shoulder & my arm in a sling. On the plus side I’m not allowed to do any domestic chores until the stitches come out (22nd May) 😆 but on the minus side no off road biking for 6 weeks 😥

Basically I’m off work at home for the next two weeks with only day-time TV & my PC/STW to keep me company – so I apologise now if I start acting like a nob, it’s the meds honest!!

mrsflash
    Free Member

Sponsored 🙂

TN
    Free Member

Wow, crispy, that sounds like it has been a fairly rough time for you. (I think I can possibly relate to it a bit, by the sound of it)
    How are you doing now? I mean, apart from the big hole in your arm/shoulder, if you get my drift… Hope your head’s okay.
    As for the meds, I know from second hand experience (no pun intended there) that some of them are pretty potent, so I reckon you could probably get away with pretty much anything! 😉

And thanks folks for the donations – it is all very much appreciated!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Smee & Trekster – The guy you are referring to earlier is a bloke called David Adams. I have just had him in my office and shown him the thread. He remembers talking to trekster at mabie and he said smee probably remembers him riding on his turbo trainer at Strathpuffer on his road bike. He rode the even on his adapted spesh. Absolutely spot on bloke.

crispybacon
    Free Member

I was pleased to be able to contribute some sponsorship money to what for me is a very real issue at the moment.

The large zig-zag wound in my shoulder will heal & fade in time however I’m not so sure the mental scars will go away quite so quickly. On the whole I’m a fairly positive up beat person (which I hope comes out in my STW persona) but after the recent events I’m having a very hard time keeping things together. One minute I’m happy as Larry then the next I’m thinking some really dark thoughts & this emotional roller coaster is doing my head in. At the moment I’m taking things one day at a time & setting small goals – not breaking down in front of Mrs B when she gets home from work being today’s goal.

TN
    Free Member

Mate, the brain is a cruel and clever thing. J says he can’t remember most of the time during his treatment – I think I can probably recall every moment of it. If you want to talk – sometimes it helps to unload to someone outside ‘the situation’ – please email me. I would be more than happy to try to help, to give back some time for those who ‘listened’ to me…

crispybacon
    Free Member

Thanks TN I might take you up on your very kind offer to ‘talk’ but I don’t know your email addy. Mine is in my profile tho.

coffeeking
    Free Member

you know with hydro brakes you can link two or even more calipers together and run them off of 1 lever. you basicly you run a hose from the bleed nipple on a caliper to the other caliper but still have the bleed nipple on it. can mail you more details if you want!! mail in profile.

You’d end up with serious lever travel though due to the moving-volume differences, may end up with the lever hitting the bar before the bite point is found. PRessure at each caliper would be the same too, meaning the back would lock way before the front came “up to speed” as it were.

TN
    Free Member

Hi all.

Well, my little bro did his marathon yesterday – his feet are a mess but he says he feels good from the shins upward. 🙂 So thanks to all who have donated so far – he’s earned that money!

Also, the automatic clutch J ordered for his little motor bike has arrived – I’m riding the bike down to get it fitted on Wednesday. I have to say, I am really nervous about him getting back on a motorbike, but it’s up to him and I know he won’t head out on the road until he’s good and ready, but still…

The new Felt isn’t ready yet though, so no riding pics yet. He is getting dead giddy about this one and was gutted it wasn’t ready for the weekend. (so if you can all think speedy thoughts for the bike shop so it’s ready this week, that would be much appreciated)

Also, any recommendations for a full face helmet for him? Will he be too warm in a 661 evolution?
    And he’s worried people are going to think it a bit overkill, him wearing a full face helmet – I have told him that’s not going to happen, and even if it does, so what…

coffeeking
    Free Member

IF you crash with one arm and a normal helmet you’re going to be a lot less capable of stoppign a facial impact, anyone “thinking its overkill” clearly has the mental aptitude of a 3 year old and so should be ignored! I can’t recommend one as I’ve not tried many. I like my switchblade, doesnt seem too hot except in the peak of summer.

TN
    Free Member

Thanks coffeeking – will get him to look that one up/try one on.
    He has been looking at the MET parachute, which has like a very lightweight ‘skeleton’ chin guard but I reckon if he’s going to go full face he might as well go full face. I am not sure how much additional protection that would give.

And I told him pretty much the same as you said, so I am glad I was on track and not just ‘being a girl’ (that’s not meant in an offensive way to fellow girlies, but, well you know what I mean…)

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Crikey, just read this thread, inspirational stuff – big thumbs up.

TN
    Free Member

Peterpoddy – I missed this: “I got hitched recently and it’s the best day ever, isn’t it?”
    Congratulations yourself! And yes, it really, really is. 🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

Well done to your bro 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Wow, alot of respect. 😀 Going back abit in one of the mags there was a DH’er who rides with a prosthetic leg?

TN
    Free Member

I know how to do pics inline now, so here’s a couple from the inaugural trip out on his new bouncy Felt. The old steering damper won’t fit this bike but after todays ride he reckons he won’t actually need one. That surprised me a bit. I think he quite likes the new toy, anyway.

TN
    Free Member

PS: If anyone’s after a recommendation for a sturdy camera I can highly recommend the panasonic TZ1 after I dropped it on a rock then rode over it today… Ooops. 😉
    Still works fine and it now has war wounds.

samuri
    Free Member

that’s ace! what an amazing bloke. Hope he gets a stick on arm soon.

TN
    Free Member

Hey, Samuri – you might not be too far off with that statement.
    I have JUST had a voicemail from him saying the hospital limb centre is actually looking into providing him with a biking arm now – after MUCH arguing/begging/asking why etc.
    I know they have to justify the costs involved but surely trying to get amputees back to what they did pre-op/injury is the aim of the game? We’ve had a right battle.
    I need more info but it finally sounds like we are getting somewhere. This is great news, because it should give his wrist a bit of a rest (no sniggering at the back!!) when he’s riding. Whoop!! 🙂

Also, he got his bike back yesterday with the new avid brakes on – he now has a back brake. Bonus!! So we’re hoping to christen them up in the lake district this weekend. Yeeeeeah! As an aside, has anyone got any recommendations for steady but interesting routes in the southern lakes please?

IA

Regarding full faces, look at specialized deviants for a “proper” one that’s also very well vented.

As for worrying about other people thinking it’s overkill etc, no bother there. He’s riding a bike off road with one arm, that’s properly hardcore! Respect.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Good to see him / you doing well. Inspirational.

I found this site – might have some useful stuff on it
    http://www.mtb-amputee.com/

IA – Member

As for worrying about other people thinking it’s overkill etc, no bother there. He’s riding a bike off road with one arm, that’s properly hardcore! Respect.

Wot ‘e said

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘For those interested parties (one armed rider update)’ is closed to new replies.