• This topic has 99 replies, 70 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by core.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • For all intensive purposes…
  • Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Spotted this interesting new phrase being used on a gumtree ad this morning then spotted our local using rag using the term, to all intensive purposes, in an article.

It makes no sense at all but at least I know what an eggcorn is now. 👿

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/northumbria-police-worker-faces-sack-12496521

Gowrie
    Free Member

to all intensive purposes

The phrase intended is “to all intents and purposes” surely. Overambitious autocorrect or just poor English and editing?

akira

Heard a woman in shops yesterday discussing getting holidays at her work being like getting water out of a stone.

cranberry
    Free Member

It particularly bothers me in journalism, long gone are the days of the sub-editor reading an article and not letting it get into the paper until it was written proper.

With the Times I took to writing a comment highlighting the error and asking “If you can’t be bothered to read your own article, why should I ?”

orangespyderman

I’m currently reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynn Truss. Worth a look for those who enjoy being irked 🙂

wwaswas

Saw this yesterday. Sub-Editors are long gone in local press…

TheFlyingOx

Maybe it was carrying loads of jam jars, and it’s the jam itself what is covering the entire road.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Heard a woman in shops yesterday discussing getting holidays at her work being like getting water out of a stone.

Nowt wrong with that statement. You can’t get water out of a stone & she can’t get leave. She obviously works for the prison service.

wwaswas

“It’s not clear what the heavy goods vehicle was carrying, and the South Wales Police Roads account tweeted”

Beet surrender?

Drac

Spotted this interesting new phrase being used on a gumtree ad this morning then spotted our local using rag using the term, to all intensive purposes, in an article.

I was going to moan about it can’t be as bad as something the chronicle publishes, until I clicked on your link.

Sandwich

Nowt wrong with that statement. You can’t get water out of a stone & she can’t get leave. She obviously works for the prison service.

She could be working at Hotel California.

Cougar

Blaming the sub-editors, you’re just looking for an escape goat.

jon1973
    Free Member

Dave Gorman did quite a funny routine on commonly misused sayings. I couple I remember of the top of my head, were;

“He’s like a bowl in a china shop.”
    “He’s just been made an escape goat.”

maccruiskeen

It particularly bothers me in journalism

In the article in the link though its someone being quoted – so is it the prosecutor in the case making the mistake and the journalist quoted them correctly? Or did the journalist mishear and misquote them?

DezB
    Free Member

The phrase intended is “to all intents and purposes” surely.

I believe that was the point.

tomhoward

But, pacifically, what’s wrong with all those phrases?

A whole ocean of ineptitude?

funkmasterp

One of the senior members of staff where I work uses the phrase ‘as supposed to’ instead of ‘as opposed to’

I’ve even responded using the correct phrase, but he still does it.

kayak23

Could of been worse.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Why can’t people get these things right?

It’s not like it’s rocket surgery.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

rocket surgery

😆
    That’s getting dropped into a conversation with management today. See if it raises any eyebrows.

Scapegoat

It’s not something that pacifically worries me.

JackHammer

AHHHH PLIS STAHP!

I_did_dab
    Free Member

endolfin – endorfin is my favourite. I pacifically say it on porpoise.
    I’m going to add that one to me list (and rocket surgery).

Scapegoat

Saw this yesterday. Sub-Editors are long gone in local press…

Was it carrying a load of Russian dolls?

Scapegoat

Either way, most editing these days is lacksadaisical

Del

that point is mute.

DrJ

It’s not like it’s rocket surgery

Brilliant. I’m going to start saying that!!

DezB
    Free Member

‘as supposed to’ instead of ‘as opposed to’

Argh! its bugging me now, theres a phrase this bloke at work used to use a lot.. he’d say the negative version of it, which made no sense. Can’t think what it was!

hooli

I keep hearing “in this pacific case” I normally ask if it applies to the Atlantic as well and am met with a blank look

Cougar

I sea what you did there.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@wwaswas

Wales Online are a joke, recent stories:

“Here’s a review of the new Aston Martin that’s going to be made in Wales!” or… here’s a bought-in review of an Aston Martin that’s going to be made in Warwick, the DBX isn’t due for 2 years.

“Ronnie O’Sullivan hates Cardiff” or… Ronnie O’Sullivan says being away from his family is the hardest part of his job, when he’s finished playing, he’d rather be at home than walking around Cardiff on his own.

Anyway… for all Intensive purposes, I use this

|http://thumbsnap.com/db4xE6r9[/img]

Smudger666

It does show a lack of thought about what you are saying. not as bad as this one though.

DrJ

Well, I’m waiting with baited breath to see more examples!

revs1972
    Free Member

Used to work with a guy who always needed to know the heigth of things

Go in any cafe in Wolverhampton (if you really must) and listen to the stream of people asking for two breakfasses and a cup of tay

richmtb

Please stop it. I’m starting to loose the plot. Complete brake down

willard

You lot sleigh me. Pleas stop.

finbar
    Free Member

I could care less about all these ridicleous malapropisms.

whitestone
    Free Member

Just wait until folk get “then”, “than” and “that” mixed up. Oh, they already do 🙄

wwaswas

I love the English language.

And unintentional ‘misuse’ of it is grate – it makes you stop and think about what’s being said, what’s meant.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘For all intensive purposes…’ is closed to new replies.