Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Footware for new roadie – Advice needed.
  • SnS
    Free Member

Friend of mine is getting a road bike through the cycle to work scheme.
    He wants to go spd & asked me what footware he should be looking at.

Being MTB orientated, I instinctivly said Spesh Taho as they're my prefered choice.
    Would they be a good choice for Roadie use, or should he be looking at other options in a similar price band.

Thanks,
    Chris

druidh
    Free Member

What will this "road bike" be used for?

If it's touring and/or commuting then something like a Taho with a MTB-type pedal will be fine. The Shimano A520s are also pretty good – as are the Crank Bros Candys. The Taho has quite a soft sole and will benefit from a bit of a platform on the pedal over longer distances.

If it's a "race" bike, then he'll benefit from a full-on road shoe/pedal combination.

romster
    Free Member

Mavic have got some lovellllllllllly shoes! Personally i'm using the Mavic Avenir and i highly recommend it. Might be out of his budget though??

Check this review out

SnS
    Free Member

Jon – the friend in question is a cross country runner ( national championship level in his age group)
    He's looking at cycling as a possible suplimental means of keeping fit. – Nothing serious. Suspect he'd use it poss twice a week, once at weekend & a pub run on a week night once the evenings get lighter.

Chris

druidh
    Free Member

Taho and Candys then. "Proper" road shoes are an arse in the pub 🙂

SnS
    Free Member

Thanks for the input – will pass it on.

Chris

romster
    Free Member

I'll second that advice……….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Footware for new roadie – Advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.