Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Foie Gras
  • spacecadett
    Free Member

Love it, can't get enough of the stuff and I sleep really well at night.

Stoner
    Free Member

entier or bloc?

richc
    Free Member

I've got clean socks on, as we are sharing pointless tedious personal details.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Mine are a bit grubby, but haven't reached the crusty stage yet.

mugsys_m8

It's very good with Tariquet.

spacecadett
    Free Member

If it is a special occasion then naturally entier. For day to day duties, bloc will suffice.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have a place in france and the neighbour keeps geese and apparantly makes the best Foie Gras anywhere

WE Will be back soon for the wifes birthday hopefully to try some too 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Yay, another pointless troll.

GrahamS

Don't touch it myself. I'm sure it is lovely, but it just seems unnecessarily cruel to me.

No problem with other people eating it though – so enjoy 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

can't get enough of the stuff and I sleep really well at night.

Maybe you can get someone to stuff it down your throat whilst you're asleep 💡

iDave
    Free Member

it is cruel, but it's just a goose

coffeeking
    Free Member

GrahamS – not sure how you can avoid something because you think it's cruel but then be happy with others doing it. Odd.

iDave – you're just a human – cruelty is equal in all species.

iDave
    Free Member

iDave – you're just a human – cruelty is equal in all species.

you think? so is stamping on a chicken no different to stamping on a baby?

saladdodger
    Free Member

one mans pet is anothere mans dinner

coffeeking
    Free Member

you think? so is stamping on a chicken no different to stamping on a baby?

Nope.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

so is stamping on a chicken no different to stamping on a baby?

coffeeking's point is completely valid imo. Yes it's not the same – the severity of the crime is different.
    But both are unacceptable – or do you think 'stamping on a chicken' is acceptable ?

Stoner
    Free Member

morally no great differnce.

Legally a world apart.

GrahamS

GrahamS – not sure how you can avoid something because you think it's cruel but then be happy with others doing it. Odd.

Not really. I didn't say I was happy, just that I don't particularly raise a fuss. We all have our own conscience to answer to. I don't eat Foie Gras, but I still occasionally eat lamb and I can't honestly say that all my chicken is free range.

I wouldn't marry someone who thought that the traditional gavage method of foie gras was an okay practise, because they don't have morales that line up well with mine. But likewise I wouldn't storm across the restaurant, snatch it from someone's hand and ram a cob of corn down their throat.

willard

Mmmmmm. Fois Gras.

Delicious.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I was of course working on the moral question, rather than legal.

Graham, I was kind of winding you up a bit, we follow the same thought process.

iDave
    Free Member

i'm not saying either is acceptable. but they have different degree's of unacceptability. I am not one for stamping on anything other than the ground.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Neither is acceptable, full stop, there's no shades of grey.

Stoner
    Free Member

morally, the act of stamping on a living animal other than to eradicate a small pest swiftly (say a cockroach) is constant regardless of the species – the morality is in the act, not the victim.

The reason "stamping" is repugnant is, I think, in the preconception that stamping will cause great pain, involves direct physical contact to create that pain, and (other than in my example above to swiftly kill a non-sentient creature) it is usually a non-lethal act that serves no purpose. Killing often serves a morally acceptable purpose: torture almost never does.

saladdodger
    Free Member

So please tell me what has stamping on anything got to do with eating goose liver.

I am a bit confused

Stoner
    Free Member

damned if I know.
    🙂

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

fois gras is so last season darlings – now swan, that's proper posh food.

GrahamS

Graham, I was kind of winding you up a bit, we follow the same thought process.

Line and sinker then 🙂

Incidentally, most Foie Gras outside of France isn't made by the gavage (force-feeding) method, so the OP may well sleep soundly 😀

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Or baby bottle nose dolphin, if your local fishmonger has any in.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I am a bit confused

You have to stamp on the goose to kill it, so that you can eat it's liver.

A baby's liver is equally tasty, but unfortunately, stamping on babies is generally frowned upon.

Chicken livers are for cowards.

HTH

saleem
    Free Member

Many many Foie Gras producers feed the birds, ducks and geese by hand, no force feeding, I buy 100-150kg per year using duck for hot dishes and goose for cold………CRUEL IS, the way that Squab pigeon are raised, they have aircraft hanger sized barns with thousands of little pigeons buried in little holes with only their heads sticking out, they can't fly meaning that they become plump without using their muscles ensuring they are tender, lovely with foie gras too

Stu_N

Anyone had panda cub? I hear it's very rich and tender but you need two or three to feed a table of six diners.

Is an occasional bit of foie gras really any crueller than regularly eating intensively farmed chicken?

For me foie gras as a delicious but a rare treat, probably eat it and enjoy it without any qualms once or twice a year (and I do understand that the goose doesn't necessarily want _that_ much corn to eat).

I hardly eat any intensively farmed chicken and pork (usually just bacon rolls to deal with medical emergencies!), so in animal welfare stakes I'm probably well up on most.

Stoner
    Free Member

hmmm, other cruel recipes:

Ortolan (as eaten by Mitterand as his last meal):

Take one live bunting.

Gouge its eyes out alive, or keep it in a lightless box for a month.

Feed bird on millet, grapes, and figs for one month, or until the bunting has swollen to four times its original size.

Drown bird in Armagnac.

Place bird in a high oven for six to eight minutes and serve.

Eat whole, with your head covered with a traditional embroidered cloth

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

as eaten by Mitterand as his last meal

What, it killed the poor fecker ? 😯

Olly
    Free Member

i disagree coffee king.

stamping on a baby rids the world of one potential paedo/rapist/murderer (if only potential, call it "nipping it in the bud")

the worst things geese do is crap all over footpaths in parks.

saladdodger
    Free Member

You have to stamp on the goose to kill it, so that you can eat it's liver.

Realy where did you get that from please tell

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

stamping on a baby rids the world of one potential paedo/rapist/murderer

And in my case, I had to do it to rid the world of the Anti-Christ

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ortolan….nomnomnomnomnomnom…..

🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Really where did you get that from please tell

From this thread.

……….. aren't you paying attention ffs ?

RichPenny
    Free Member

What is the moral difference between a chicken and a cockroach, Stoner? Neither is self aware, and both feel pain.

For me, the debate is about unnecessary cruelty. You could argue that for fois gras production some cruelty is required for the taste. Haven't eaten it yet, but probably wouldn't refuse it and have eaten veal in the past.

saladdodger
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Really where did you get that from please tell

From this thread.

……….. aren't you paying attention ffs ?

Yer silly sod

they were spouting on about stamping on chickens and babies in some ritiuous manner

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Foie Gras’ is closed to new replies.