Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Foes Fatty
  • honourablegeorge

Nice….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euTEbXekrOY[/video]

stevied
    Free Member

That does look nice.

honourablegeorge

mikey74
    Free Member

Wow!! That is one pointless bike.

nickc

*shakes head*

There was a time when Foes lead, and others followed…

scotroutes

How so?

pimpmyride
    Free Member

scotroutes = don’t try and understand it mate, haters gonna hate and all.

mikey74
    Free Member

How so?

AS far as I can tell, the advantages of fat bikes are:

1 – Simplicity: There should be little to go wrong out in the middle of nowhere.
    2 – The tyres give you plenty of cushioning and grip, so why the need for suspension? (also refer to point 1). Won’t the fat tyres prevent the suspension from working efficiently?

It will be effing expensive ($2500 frame only), which also relates back to point 1.

Fattys are a waste of time for 95% of mtbers out there anyway i.e. those who don’t go Arctic exploring or live near miles and miles of lovely, sandy beaches.

Northwind

Needs more piranha skeletons

Northwind

mikey74 – Member

Bikes Fattys are a waste of time for 95% of mtbers out there anyway

Everything we do is a waste of time. Wouldn’t have it any other way though!

scotroutes

AS far as I can tell, the advantages of fat bikes are:
    1 – Simplicity: There should be little to go wrong out in the middle of nowhere.
    2 – The tyres give you plenty of cushioning and grip, so why the need for suspension? (also refer to point 1). Won’t the fat tyres prevent the suspension from working efficiently?
    It will be effing expensive ($2500 frame only), which also relates back to point 1.
    Fattys are a waste of time for 95% of mtbers out there anyway i.e. those who don’t go Arctic exploring or live near miles and miles of lovely, sandy beaches.

[/quote]You’ve never ridden a fatbike, have you?

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

WANT that green jobbie! now who do I have to kill? 😆

fd3chris
    Free Member

That’s cool cos I want the red one!

warpcow
    Free Member

Having fun is a waste of time. Everyone knows that.

dbcooper
    Free Member

mikey74 is correct, but that wont stop him from being left on his own in a car park, muttering to himself whilst everyone else cycles off into the distance having a great waste of time.

bikeneil
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a few fat bikes and I have to agree with everything mikey74 says.

Euro
    Free Member

Like a girl with three titties – the reality is much less appealing than the fantasy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It really intrigues me why folk have to put fat bikes down.

They may not be for you, but why put others off?

ads678

I’be never ridden a fat bike but that looks like great fun. Who cares if it’s pointless or not . Most cars are pointless but people still spend thousands on them.

Klunk
    Free Member

it does smack a bit of “lets make a full suspension cross bike ? err isn’t that just a…..”

rOcKeTdOg

True up to the point when you hit the Rocky section at speed & realise the “suspension” in the tyres is undamped & you boingy all over the place. Suspension f&r would control this, so best of all worlds on a FS fat bike

wwaswas

the “suspension” in the tyres is undamped & you boingy all over the place

I find this too – the Poing Effect.

It’s quite easy to hit stuff fast, like roots across a corner, and you just ping off at unpredictable angles. You get the same on a rigid ‘normal’ bike but I find I’m often going faster on the fatty and also the poing effect is bigger due to tyre volume.

Northwind

Still don’t understand why no tyre companies seem to be going after damped rubber fatbike tyres- I thought schwalbe would since they’ve made a lot of noise about that for normal tyres, seems like it’d be most useful on a fatty. Maybe it’s too heavy or something? Kenda have the knowhow too but maybe John Tomac doesn’t like being called fat.

bikeneil
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

It really intrigues me why folk have to put fat bikes down.They may not be for you, but why put others off?

Isn’t personal opinion the whole point of a forum?

fd3chris
    Free Member

To me a bike is about fun and the most fun I’ve had in ages is on my fatty. The speeds have probably dropped but I’m no world class rider anyway. I just have to look at mine and a grin starts. It’s not to replace any other bike but what it does is make me giggle like an idiot.

AlexSimon

I’ll have the green, thanks.

andyv
    Free Member

Did an XC race on a fatbike at the weekend. I came lower midfield as opposed to upper midfield on the same track before christmas (on a SS rigid).

I’m a reluctant FB rider and only got sucked in by the OO 20% discount code but now must admit that its more fun riding a pink tyred fatty than a rigid SS in a cross country race, up a mountain (Pen-y-fan) and along a beach (Saunton sands)

In face though its probably a bit of new-bike-itus the fatty is currently the go to bike. Thats unless i’m riding with other non-fattists who expect me to keep up!

The 4″ of suspension offered by the tyres is total rubbish at speed, you just bounce, at climbing mountains/dunes in granny ring crawl its awesome.

As for the Foes one above, looks fun but i think i’ll save suspension for the proper bike.

colin9

To me a bike is about fun and the most fun I’ve had in ages is on my fatty. The speeds have probably dropped but I’m no world class rider anyway. I just have to look at mine and a grin starts. It’s not to replace any other bike but what it does is make me giggle like an idiot.

This.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You’ve never ridden a fatbike, have you?

Of course he’s not!

I just have to look at mine and a grin starts. It’s not to replace any other bike but what it does is make me giggle like an idiot.

This is fatbikes ot a T!

After years of chasing progresively more expensive bikes with better dampers, stickier tyres, more ground clerance, lighter, slacker angles and all round more gnarrr. All in aid of getting round a vaguely circualar loop a little bit faster. Fatbikes are like statting again, only better, stop worrying about tyre compounds and damping rates and start worrying about how to keep the flies out of your mouth due to the permenant shit eating grin on your face rather than the #enduro gurn.

Suspension fatbikes will just make more tracks more fun.

cynic-al
    Free Member

bikeneil – Member

cynic-al – Member
    It really intrigues me why folk have to put fat bikes down.They may not be for you, but why put others off?

Isn’t personal opinion the whole point of a forum?[/quote]

Of course – but saying “that thing you like is shit (oh I’ve not tried it)” is something different, just reveals when you had your last shag mate!

boltonjon

Been riding a fat bike since May and love it – really really good fun

Simplicity and lots of smiles per mile, but I can’t go mental on proper rough stuff as the rims are expensive and have taken a beating

I’m therefore getting very curious about how suspension will change things

I could start running the tyres at 15psi + and let the suspension do the work – they’ll be less drag, less rimdinging and still lots of grip – so still lots of fun

For this reason, it think the Foes, Salsa & the Turner look very exciting – yes – its another ‘standard’ – but the industry loves that for the revenue it creates

One thing which does bother me though is how i’m going to use it on Uplift services 🙁

nicksar
    Free Member

[To me a bike is about fun and the most fun I’ve had in ages is on my fatty. The speeds have probably dropped but I’m no world class rider anyway. I just have to look at mine and a grin starts. It’s not to replace any other bike but what it does is make me giggle like an idiot.]

This

singlespeedstu

TBH.
    It looks a bit shit to me too.
    No murdered out option?
    FFS what are they thinking.

honourablegeorge

I just liek looking at fatbikes, they look ace, but I couldn’t actually imagine buying one outside of a lottery win situation where I’d probably have three or four of them in a giant shed.

Found myself nodding along in agreement with this article, though.

http://nsmb.com/bike-companies-killed-fat-bike/

scotroutes

I think the final video on that link wraps it up pretty well
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n7qaZMTHsY[/video]

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ve ridden loads of fat bikes.
    I want a full sus fat bike as I reckon it’d be brilliant. ‘suspension from big fat tyres’ is rubbish. At times I’ve found it to be quite dangerous.

showerman
    Free Member

love my fatbike over everything else 29er 26 i have
    if you dont like them just skip anything that has fat or fattie in the title. get a little fed up with the sad people who find a need to piss on my fire becouse i enjoy something they do not
    you miss the point in thinking they are for snow or sand they can do everthing a 29er or 26 can in many cases a whole lot better
    im hanging on for a 180mm rear 200 up front what a toy that could be
    someone in the states has polished up one of those mutz and looks lush but a foes can only be in red so im off to see if i can get one

mtbel
    Free Member

I have absolutely no desire to own a fatbike ever (Yes, I have ridden plenty).. but this thing actually makes a lot more sense to me than the general touring bike style rigid, steel framed rubbish everyone raves about.
    Why crawl around climbing un-climbable climbs on your massive grippy low pressure conformable tyres when the second you point it down something rocky/rough it becomes an uncontrollable terrible handling spacehopper-like mess?

mtbel
    Free Member

im hanging on for a 180mm rear 200 up front what a toy that could be

why hang on?

plenty older DH forks can take a 3.7″ tyre easily and plenty older DH frames will run a 3″ tyre. they’re stupidly cheap S/H too.

The future is 2004 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Found myself nodding along in agreement with this article, though.

I don’t.

That’s like saying every time you see an ‘edit’ of a bike with 2.3″ tires you think the makers are killing the market for those bikes because 90% of them won’t be doing a triple backflip off a 30ft drop either.

If anything I’d use my fatbike less for bikepacking/touring than my hardtail, it’s more about fun than covering big distances or carrying loads, and it actually jumps really well with all that weight down low and spinning in the wheels!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Foes Fatty’ is closed to new replies.