Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Focus Estate v Berlingo.. FIGHT
  • Surfr
    Free Member

Narrowed my choice of new car down to 2. Preferably diesel versions of both.

Can you get a full sus in a focus estate with wheels on? Is the berlingo any good on long journeys? What is reliability like on high milers ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can you get a full sus in a focus estate with wheels on

Yes

Ford will be more comfortable, handle better and break down less.

And you won't feel like Postman Pat either. 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

I want a Berlingo, Focus would probably be a much better drive though.

uplink
    Free Member

I think you get a free blue badge with the Berlingo so should help with parking 😉

avdave2

I've got the Fiat Doblo. Along with the Berlingo and the Peugeot version they are the car no one wants but everybody needs.

Esme
    Free Member

Another vote for the Focus. And I can reach up to put a kayak on the roof as well

tinsy
    Free Member

uplink, I was going to comment that you can always convert the Berlingo for a wheelchair, but didnt think it good taste…

aP
    Free Member

I used to have a Berlingo but now have a Focus Estate.
    Berlingo was dead easy to bike up and whilst not as fast handling as the Focus could still be driven at quite reasonable speed particularly on country roads where the slightly higher driving position and nice compliant French suspension worked very well.
    The Focus is not as convenient for bikes, but is quieter and less tiring on long motorway journeys, and in equivalent driving gets 55-65mpg whereas the Berlingo got 30-40.

mudshark
    Free Member

I've got the Fiat Doblo.

Your car is ugly. 😉

rickon
    Free Member

I've had both….. for a bike vehicle get a Berlingo. When I turn around in the Focus all you see staring at you are two extra bloody seats that i never use.

1.9 HDi is the way forward.. good mpg, pretty quick 0-60 about 10 seconds, feels spot on to drive, dead reliable van. Ply it out yourself for about £200 including some eco-wool insulation, job is a good un.

Olly
    Free Member

Your car is ugly.

lies, new shaped doblo is quite nice 🙂 (old one was fugly though, true)
    ive got a doblo as a work van, cant fault it really.
    great as a van, much better than a connect or caddy!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

depends what you want it to do?

Biking vehicle – berlingo everytime, due to same points above

Overall Vehicle – I'd probably go with the focus, as more car like,faster

But I've always wanted a van so try a Berlingo and if you dont get on change it

Chase
    Free Member

I have a Focus C-Max. Bikes will go in laid flat with wheels on (just) or stood up without the front wheels. My mates Berlingo takes two bikes stood up without removing any wheels.

Rikoshea
    Free Member

I have a Focus as i don't want to look like postman pat!
    180,000 on the clock and still cruises to the alps with ease, no brainer.
    Can even put 2 bikes on the back , 2 on the roof and fit 4 guys and all the kit in.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The ford will eat its own flywheel at 100,000miles. No idea if the berlingo suffers those problems.

Focus estate has too may bits sticking into the boot to make getting stuff in and out a PITA.

Can fit a bike in with wheels on, but much easier if you take them off, and the saddle, and the loosen bars etc etc etc. We Just use a bike rack if theres more than two of us and/or have any luggage.

Simon

The Focus is not as convenient for bikes, but is quieter and less tiring on long motorway journeys, and in equivalent driving gets 55-65mpg whereas the Berlingo got 30-40.

I thought maybe it was just my Berlingo that was thirsty, I can't seem to get much more than 40mpg no matter how I drive, mines a 54 plate 2.0HDi BTW.
    Great car for biking, kids camping etc, 2 small or medium bikes go in the back with wheels on. Had it a year with no problems, other than discs and pads.

Mrs used to have a Focus, it was much more fun to drive than the Berlingo and encouraged faster driving, I find myself driving more responsibly in the Berlingo!

As for long journeys it's fine, the diesel I have now is much quieter than the older petrol one I had before.

ddmonkey

I have a Focus Estate with the uprated 1.6 TDCI engine, goes very well indeed considering how small the engine is. I take the wheels off to get the bike in the back, agree with thisisnotaspoon above its a bit of a phaff getting it in and out otherwise. Its a good car, good to drive, but I still hanker after a van really….

Sonor
    Free Member

I thought Ford and Citreon/Peugeot used the same Diesel engines.

avdave2

mudshark when I decide to buy ugly I buy the ugliest.

For those not impressed with the Berlingos fuel consumption we average over 50 on the Doblo which is mostly urban use. Doesn't really improve much with motorway driving though as it has the aerodynamics of a brick.

DickBarton

Which model of Berlingo – old or new? To be honest I'd go Berlingo in either flavour but the older style is defintely van-like and not comfortable in the sense a normal car is comfy. Handling is adequate but not going to make your hairs stand on end however – it is far more practical and spacious – the Focus can get a bike in – on it's side and then you are stuck trying to get the next bike in – Berlingo will have them standin gup without any probs.

New style version is even more spacious and the handling has improved greatly.

Berlingo for me…

aP
    Free Member

We used to get 30-40 mg in an old style Berlingo with the 1.6i engine, whereas our Focus is the 1.8tdci. The worst ever fuel consumption was Christmas morning driving from London to Penrith – 55litre tank, the red light came on just past Shap, whereas the Focus did that journey and another 15 miles up in the hills behind Penrith on about half a tank of diesel.
    We are quite interested in getting a new shape Berlingo – although a 2nd hand new shape C5 estate is tempting….

Surfr
    Free Member

It's a 54 plate I'm looking at. Is that the current shape? I don't know. Here's the car ad.

http://www.days.co.uk/UsedDetail.aspx?VehicleId=10645764

Just watched the first episode of Top Gear Series 1, Episode 1 for the review of the Berlingo if anyone is interested. They seem to like it too!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Top-Gear-Season-1-Episode_179374.htm

Simon

54 plate is not the current shape, new one came out last year I think.

Surfr
    Free Member

Ended up buying a focus hatchback. Deal was too good to miss. Guess I will be taking my front wheel off afterall

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

FWIW, I've taken 4 cross bikes (wheels off) in the back of my Focus estate, plus a passenger – and all our kit – to a race last year.

1.8 petrol, so not that economical, but drives and handles lovely. 100k on the clock. It's on a 'T'plate (99?) and I've had it 7 or 8 years. Never missed a beat. Outside's a bit tatty (bumps and scrapes) and the inside's a bit muddy, but it's still going like a sewing machine.

josh1982
    Free Member

I had a Kangoo 4×4 whilst working in the alps and it was mint. Went anywhere and handled like a go kart.

go Kangoo……..not as old/disabled and berlingo.

Esme
    Free Member

At the risk of turning this into a "How many students can you fit in a Mini" competition . . . we've had four bikes and four adults in our Focus!

colwyn58
    Free Member

Is kangoo the same size as Berlingo/Partner?

ampthill

great thread

I think I'll start looking for a focus estate

The bike will go out side

mudshark
    Free Member

Skoda Roomsters seem quite sensible to me

rickon
    Free Member

I have to say though, after having a Peugoet Partner 1.9d and a Berlingo 2.0HDi…. then switching to a Ford Transit Connect, LWB Hi-Top…. I'd never go back.

Connect is ace, loads of room in the back, drives spot on, just feels like a quality van. Plus it's so cheap and easy to fix if anything goes wrong… and you can easily sleep two in the back. Stick a bike rack on the back, and it's ready as a camper 🙂 Awesome for events.

In response to flywheel problems….Flywheels going on any diesel with a dual-mass flywheel is common, they're a problematic solution to the high amounts of torque going through the transmission. Switch to a solid flywheel and you're sorted – bit more vibrations… and an slightly earlier clutch replacement though.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Focus Estate v Berlingo.. FIGHT’ is closed to new replies.