Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Focus Cmax – yay or nay?
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

Like the look of them and could be a useful bike lugger but
    I don’t know anything about them apart from some very poor reviews
    on reliability. But everyone knows the stw view is far more unbiased so I’d be grateful for your comments. Local garage has a 1.8 Zetec with tow bar fitted too, 20000 miles, £7499.

mudshark
    Free Member

Looked at them then got a Roomster – better in every way except looks….

JPcapel
    Free Member

Recently acquired a 2005 1.6 model, is brilliant. Drives nicely – as most fords do. Had recent service and no probs. Very comfy driving position.
    Kids love it, as has tables on backs of front seats so they can have picnics on them.
    Isnt much longer than a normal focus, is mainly just taller, so getting bikes in would still needs wheels off, etc.
    Also removing rear seats is mega faff, when folded down they sit quite tall, so load space isnt as good as you’d expect.
    Assume for that price/mileage you looking around 2009 model.
    Towbar would put me off a little, what has it been towing? isn’t really a towing type of car/or engine meant for towing.
    Hope this helps.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Wouldn`t be put off by reports of bad reliability.I have a Focus which is fundamantally the same car.
    Being a Ford Im sure it handles well,but if you want to lug people wouldnt you`d be better off with an S Max,if you wanted to lug bikes a Focus Estate would do the job aswell,or a Mondeo if you needed more boot space?

Bimbler
    Free Member

I liked them when we were looking, I think a lot of the poor reliability reviews were for one particular model (maybe the CVT one?) which were shocking apparently and the customers were treated appallingly by ford. Ultimately it wasn’t really big/flexible enough for us.

cp

mate had one, then replaced it with a roomster. he much MUCH prefers the roomster. The cmax was the 2 litre diesel. So many problems with electrics, engine bits, interior trim….

LS
    Free Member

Missus has had a 2005 1.6 for 3.5 years. Other than tyres and brake pads it’s required a new power steering pump.
    She had a Focus estate before and while it’s not as huge inside as that was, it’s still big enough for most things. Rear seats are a doddle to remove and create a big flat load space that’s long enough for 6’2″ of me to sleep in.
    Drives nicely and I think she gets about 38mpg on average. Easy to fit a roof rack with the dedicated mounting points if you want to increase bike-carrying capacity.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Towbar would put me off a little, what has it been towing?

Well the saleman assured me it was only towing a trailer, but it is rigged up with dual electrics, so not sure really.

It’s an 08.

Macavity
    Free Member

If you look at the price of parts for Fords in general that should be enough to convince you to look at something else.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Wife has a C-Max with the 1.8 petrol engine you’re looking at, does about 10 miles each way to work each day, averaging 35mpg on mixed urban/rural roads. Only issues in 3 or so years have been the alternator (it seems it’s a common fault) and the boot opening switch. I also read the reviews, and most issues seemed to be for the diesels.

Bad:
    – interior a bit rattly
    – seats are really heavy, and with them folded forward it’s not that long (but it is very tall)
    – electric handbrake is a bit rubbish (though it’s never failed, just user error)
    – looks like Postman Pat’s van

Good:
    – nice to drive; handles well and 1.8 engine is nice
    – chain cam engine (I think it’s a Mazda engine – could be wrong)
    – kids like the space and the tables.
    – I think Honest John called it the most comfortable car he ever drove, and it is indeed very comfy.

We’re selling it to buy a smaller car. I already have a 7 seat bus.

EDIT: No need for twin electrics when towing a trailer, just a caravan.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you look at the price of parts for Fords in general that should be enough to convince you to look at something else.

You mean dirt cheep if they ever go wrong?

Mines been faultless so far, just about takes a bike without removing the wheels, but easier with them off, easily swallows 3 blokes + 3 bikes + kit. I have mine with 2 of the rear seats permenantly removed, leaves plenty of space for all my crap to live in the back permenantly, and big enough to sleep in if journeying to somewhere a way away for an early start.

About the twin electrics, my parents had that on their last car, the fitter stuck them on everything as it was cheeper than holding stock of single electrics apparently. Most that ever towed was a bike rack.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Hmm, sounds like it might be an idea to at least have a drive etc.

I have mine with 2 of the rear seats permenantly removed

Are they easy to remove or are they bolted in?

Whats the going haggle rate these days on the ticket price? At £7499 I’d probably go in at £6800 meself hoping not to get a slap in return.

ElShalimo

plop_pants – Member

The salesman is blagging you.
    Dual electrics usually means it’s been towing a caravan, i.e. 1 socket for the lights & 1 socket for the multi-fuel fridge on long journeys to keep your milk and stuff cool.
    This is important to caravanners as if you;re only going up the road the fridge seal will keep ya stuff cool. But if you want to from Manchester to Cornwall you need the fridge to be powered

cheshirecat
    Free Member

You remove the seats by folding the backrests and then tipping the bases by 45 degrees, whist holding a lever (if I remember correctly). Pretty easy really. No tools required, just a bit of strength.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

stay away from the 1.8 petrol, its crap MPG we had the same engine in a focus and it was just about getting 30mpg! and got shot of it.

get the 1.6 much less guts but better mpg.

wish we had gone for the c-max instead of the focus as i think we’d still have it.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I like our 2.0TDCi. 50mpg fully loaded with 3 bikes on a tow-bar rack on a 1600 mile round trip this summer, and that’s cruising at 130kph.

Big enough to get bikes inside, but not so big it doesn’t fit on my (short) driveway.

NEVER buy a 1.6TDCi. Serious turbo issues.

Gary_C

NEVER buy a 1.6TDCi. Serious turbo issues

Speaking from personal experience ?

Here’s my experience with the C-Max 1.6tdci.

Owned two. First one was bought with 58k on the clock & I ran that for a couple of years & took the milage up to 87k without any problems ( turbo or otherwise ) & it was written off in a crash.

Second one was bought with 80k on the clock & I put 7k trouble free miles on it before reduced hours at work meant that I had to economise & sell it.

Would I have another ? Definitely !

Northwind

Macavity – Member

Parts for my Focus have been silly cheap- even the official ones aren’t expensive and there’s lots of pattern too (which sometimes are the same part with a different sticker on the box).

Having said that, the Cmax seems to carry a wee bit of a price premium, and it’s a wee bit of an awkward halfway house. You seem to get a lot more Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra for your money.

iainc

wife has an 08 one with the 1.8 petrol zetec spec. it’s practical and comfy, but the economy is very poor – she does short trips, school run, 5 miles to work, and it averages about 28mpg. We got it 3 yrs ago with 2.5k miles and it now has just over 30 on it. not very reliable – had problems with belts and water pumps which were fixed under warranty but it’s making some weird noises again now.

I wouldn’t buy another one..

(the heated front screen is ace though 😀 )

Ticklinjock

I have an 05 1.6 diesel CMax. Have a towbar for the bike rack.
    I take the middle rear seat out. It can take 4 bikers and all their gear. 1 bike inside and 3 bikes on the rack.
    It gets over 50 mpg and pulls really well even up steep hills when fully loaded. Have only changed rear discs and rear shocks – and the hatch door switch (£16). Its at 66k miles now.
    My only complaint is the plastic trim gets knocked off in places and never seems to go back properly.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Focus Cmax – yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.