Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Floods – can't get to work
  • boxelder

Shame. West Cumbria's pretty damp at the moment and the roads out of our valley are almost impassable. It's wetter than during the OMM debacle.
    Silver lining is that Whinlatter is a few miles up the hill – I may need to move to higher ground to avoid the floods……..
    Or stay at home and do some homework……..
    Tricky one

CountZero

Up the hill and lay the keel for the ark I reckon. 😀

anc
    Free Member

Teacher in "I can't get to work" Shocker!! 😆 😛

Hehehe, enjoy your day off.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    parkedtiger
    Free Member

Stay out of Keswick boxelder – we're flooding over this way too 🙁

crazy-legs

Ooh, might be worth a trip up there at the weekend. I was out last year on the CX bike the same weekend as the OMM, it was hilarious. Had a great ride round Grizedale/Ambleside/Kendal through foot deep water and past various stranded cars. 🙂

Dobbo

How is Keswick itself holding up? As in the town centre.

lakesrider
    Free Member

i was in the car this morning with all the flooded roads and got turned back home by the police, but i soon stopped smiling when i saw the houses by the road at troutbeck bridge with water flooding under the doors and a guy in the street desperatley trying to clear leaves out of the drains to try and stop the water pouring into his house 🙁

votchy
    Free Member

What is the OMM?

boxelder

D'oh. Son's school closed now, so on dad duty.
    How dare those work shy teachers close a school, inconveniencing hard working parents……
    😳

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

Kendal area very wet also. Just tried to get to a meeting at Lancaster and gave up after 3rd flood across the road in the first mile.

I hope the thing which is normally a stream at the end of my garden (but is now a torrent) stops rising soon.

Folk on the other side of the village are already in need of sandbags.

crazy-legs

What is the OMM?

Original Mountain Marathon.
    Basically a 2-day fell race/orienteering event for teams of 2. Last years one was cancelled amid horrendous weather and it caused a huge media furore with the papers and a couple of local folk with various self-serving agenda to criticise it saying it cost a fortune to call out the rescue services, hundreds of lives in danger, blah blah.
    Everyone else wondered what all the fuss was about.

It even made a Jeremy Vine Radio 2 phone in debate subject a week or so later.

Edit: OMM website
    Another edit: about the only sensible newspaper article from the 2008 event

boxelder

I was out last year on the CX bike the same weekend as the OMM, it was hilarious. Had a great ride round Grizedale/Ambleside/Kendal through foot deep water and past various stranded cars.

I was thinking cross bike too.

Now where's that periscope……….

Crazylegs, last year:

parkedtiger
    Free Member

The last road in and out of Keswick has just been closed.

Dobbo

Just heard on Radio Cumbria, said it's starting to breach the flood defences in Keswick. Kendal and Cockermouth are also on high alert.

boxelder

and it's now raining harder……..

frogfarmer
    Free Member

Don't know if anyone is heading to Kendal for the KMFF bike night tonight but if you are bring a canoe,you may find it a little hard to get here.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

It aint too bad in Ulverston – well, not up here on the hillside anyway! However – just been to a callout and it was absolutely shocking! I only went out yesterday for 1 call out around Skelwith and today the same, but Spark Bridge.

Don't see tomorrow being productive either! Only managed 1 full days work this week!!!

theflatboy
    Free Member

just been watching the news (here in london), and there's talk of uber mega ultra weather warnings – not good, good luck all involved!

(any chance of some pictures to show us what we're missing?) 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Fine darn sarf, well it's a bit windy.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Didn't take my camera this afternoon… depending what it's like tomorrow, and if I can manage to not go out for work, then I may take the camera for a wee adventure 😉

crazy-legs

Rockin!
    Will get the CX bike sorted for a paddling expedition at the weekend. 🙂

Dobbo

Just took a couple of pics of the River Greta.

Airwolf
    Free Member

Oh crap!

Anyone in North Wales? What's it like there? I due to leave in a few hours to see my mate who lives nr Bangor.

Will we need a amphibious vehicle?

grumm
    Free Member

Anyone for a nice alfresco pint at the Eagle and Child?

karnali
    Free Member

sadly sent homw from work at lunchtime, took dog for a walk to check out the derwent at broughton bridge, over 100m wide in some parts, in the few mins i was there a large portion of tree and a bayle from a filed bobbed on down.
    we are shut tomorrow as well, was thinkingof a kayaking trip but i think the levels will be too high. So it could be swimming with toddler (a the pool) if i can get into cockermouth as latest news is roads are closed to get in. St on top of the hill in brigham the wind sounds pretty impressive.

theflatboy
    Free Member

blimey – serious stuff… hope all in the area are ok, more pictures please!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    marsdenman
    Free Member

Hope you're all OK up there – we left the Lune Valley (Kirkby Lonsdale'ish) earlier this morning and the Lune was up circa 12-18" on what it was yesterday…… and that was high enough (not enough, though, to stop a couple of kayakers…..) 😯
    Back over in west yorks it's evident we've had rain but nothing like what we sat in for the last 5 days or so of our holiday……. still, cottage had a real fire, as did the pubs….. 😀

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

It rains in the North. We live with it. It's called winter. Then in July it rains some more. That's called summer.

Won't feature on the 6 O'Clock news. Too far from Lunnun.

stoney
    Free Member

The latest in Keswick is that the overflow gates @ Thirlmere were opened @ 2 o clock and the river has risen a little again. The Road leading out west is impassable, and part way down coming in from the East. Also Borrowdale is underwater (nothing new there then) 😉

When this happened in 05 it had actually stopped raining, however, the forcast is for more rain until the morning 😥

Are we worried ❓

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Floods – can't get to work’ is closed to new replies.