Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Float RLC seal service – lowers stuck?
  • fishboy
    Free Member

Hi, just trying to give my Float 140RLCs (2010 FIT) a first dust seal service as per the Mojo destructions. Trouble is, I can't get the right-hand side (rebound / compression side) to release when I tap them as instructed. I've gone through all the stages beforehand so now its all in bits – anyone got any suggestions before I do any major damage to me or the forks!?!

Presumably I don't need to remove anything from the top of this leg i.e. the compression / lockout gubbins? The air side has released without too much trouble (still with air in).

Cheers, Andy.

firestarter
    Free Member

Tap it harder 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Nope – bottom nuts remove then put back on half way and give them a hard strike with a rubber hammer or with a std hammer with a block of wood 🙂

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/fox-forks-wiper-seal-service.htm

nickegg
    Free Member

I had the same problem on my 2010 RL FIT forks. I had to give the rebound damper nut a fair old whack to loosen it!

Artillerydave
    Free Member

yep just requires more "persuasion" with the hammer, it'll give eventually.

fishboy
    Free Member

Thanks folks, I manned up a bit and gave it a few good whacks and that sorted it out. Not convinced the whole cleaning and oiling thing has made a bit of difference to the impressive stiction but we shall see…

Thanks again, A.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeh doubt it' make much difference on stiction esp after a few hours riding but at least you cleaned the seals which is the most important thing re: upper wear 🙂

nickegg
    Free Member

You may have a duff fork there as my FIT forks are great, the only thing i'm not 100% happy with is the bushing tolerances (but that does mean no stiction) but it's bloody close in performance to my previous Vanilla forks.

fishboy
    Free Member

They've probably seen about 15hrs use, maybe more, so Mojo said to try that first. The sponge seals were spotlessly clean though and not much crap on the dust seals either. How long did yours take to bed in Nick? I'm about 12st so have about 65-70psi to start with, compression 1 click above minimum and rebound various around the midpoint. Very, very annoying! Difficult to set the sag due to stiction though.

Cheers for the very useful link Foxy – had already memorised it before I started so figured I was just being a bit soft!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Float RLC seal service – lowers stuck?’ is closed to new replies.