Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Flights with bikes
  • clareymorris

Hi guys – looking to get to Lake Garda in the summer with the bikes – any recommendations/experiences on flights? Had a brief look last night and the charges seem to add up somewhat so then I thought….. someone on here must have some good tips!!!
    Cheers 😀

clareymorris

Surely – someone has some thoughts/experiences/nightmares to share?!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I would just by a large cheap suitcase, pad it out a bit, take the wheels/seat/h’bars off, pack it all up in that. You might end up with a bit of excess, but could escape the ‘bike handling’ charges some airports try to screw out of you.

Like Melbourne airport did when I was leaving. Pfft. something like £60 they wanted. Told them to do one. 🙂

clareymorris

One to remember – cheers Elf!

andytherocketeer

Think easyjet was £30-something return on top of normal fare, when packed like this…

Think they just wanted any pointy bits covered, bars turned, pedals off. Plus mech off, shifters/brakes loosened a bit “just in case”.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Is that a gag.

I use a bike bag and its always trashed after about 3 trips.

Now bought a bike box but seen too many friends whose bikes have been wrecked because not properly packed.

clareymorris

Hmm – maybe I was not too clear on what I was actually after!!!

I was hoping someone had found a cheaper airline/airport/time of year, rather than how to pack the bike!!

Cheers though 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Flights with bikes’ is closed to new replies.