Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Flight cancelled – how much can I soak them for?
  • MrAgreeable

We've had our flight to America to see family members cancelled and then rescheduled for a couple of days' time. Result, five wasted hours this morning (including two stood in a queue, at the end of which we were basically told to sod off home), extra airport parking charges, potentially useless tickets for an event on NYE and yet more expense for keeping the cat on lockdown for an extra couple of days. We're not massively rich, and it stings a bit to be out of pocket by a sum that could be as much as a hundred quid.

Has anyone had any experience of claiming compensation from airlines? Do they pay up with nary a murmur, or do you generally have a fight on your hands?

jon1973
    Free Member

If it's down to the weather it's out of their control isn't it? So I'm not sure you have much of a right to compensation under EU civil avaiation regulation. Thet's what insurance is there for.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would have thought their responsibility will be for no more than a replacement flight or refund.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    5lab

probably not. Its hardly the airlines fault that your flight is delayed any more than your own – if they had overbooked the flight it'd be a different story

get onto your travel insurance and claim from there

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Travel insurance. That's what it's for. We have a yearly policy that includes MTBing etc, so even if it's just a weekend away in the UK and something goes wrong, we can claim (I think…)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Most annual policies cover you for any overnight stay away from your main home and are usually very good value if you plan on taking more than one trip away in a year. I always get one and make sure I have winter sports cover 🙂

MrAgreeable

Travel insurance typically has sixty quid excess, once you deduct that the sort of losses we've incurred really start to look petty (if they didn't already 😉 ).

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I'd say pretty much what PeterPoddy and Mastiles say.

They won't cover things out of their remit – e.g. events you've missed, extra car hire etc. etc.

You'd normally get a hotel room if a flight goes tech.*

And all that probably assumes it's the airlines 'fault' per se and not due to bad weather/war/wrong type of leaves etc.

Travel insurance would cover you for the delays and costs.

*Assuming a reputable airline. If it's low cost (probably not with being Atlantic flights) they'd just wave as they booted you out of the terminal into the snow.

thepurist

"Denied Boarding Compensation" are the magic words you're looking for. Tell the airline you want it – it's not much but is a mandatory thing they have to pay, but of course they won't volunteer it.

vinnyeh

"Denied Boarding Compensation" are the magic words you're looking for. Tell the airline you want it – it's not much but is a mandatory thing they have to pay, but of course they won't volunteer it.

I don't think so, I reckon this falls under 'extraordinary circumstances' in which case the airline doesn't have to pay compensation.

stumpy01

I reckon you'll get naff all if you try, or as mentioned above it will be so pitiful once you have paid the excess that it's not worth your time in pursuing it.

Me and the other half were delayed 24hrs flying out on holiday one yr and delayed over 12hrs on the way back.
    When we got back, we landed in Gatwick not Stansted as we were scheduled too and so had to get a coach back to Stansted (didn't land until about 3 in the morning) and on top of that, the baggage monkeys broke my suitcase.

I thought I had taken out a fairly good level of travel insurance, but after the excess it worked out to about £20 each compensation. Not worth the time spent getting it sorted.

5lab

quick thought on this..

Easyjet just cancelled the misses' flight from Gatwick to Lyon. The next they can offer is 26th – 4 days away. But, thing is, neither Lyon nor Gatwick are facing weather problems, nor have they all day (easyjet flew a return flight there thismorning). So its clearly either about logistics, or they're cancelling some extra flights because it's easy\cheap to

so.. at what point does the compensation clause of 'unforseeable events' go out the window

incidentally, flight was only cancelled an hour after supposed departure, an additional kick in the teeth as it makes it that much harder to find another suitable flight.

eckinspain
    Free Member

I see what you're saying 5lab but presumably their planes are stuck in other airports (ie Milan, Stansted) because of the weather.
    Today's afternoon flight from Madrid to Edinburgh was cancelled although both airports were ok. I don't hold out much hope of them sorting it out in time for tomorrow's flight which Im supposed to be on.

5lab

Agreed, however, all flights cancelled to\from gatwick today were both legs (ie, milan to gatwick and gatwick to milan). With this the case, surely any planes that should have been in Gatwick already were (if you see what I mean)??

Apparently they've said they'll pay for any flights with other airlines, which makes me suspicious that either somethings going on,or they're telling porkies. Mrs. 5lab is trying to get a bunch of french people, who don't speak english, onto a train to Dover (bless) so they can cross there. I don't envy any of them..

STATO
    Free Member

5lab – theyve prob not got enough pilots.

5lab

bit of an update on this – sleasyjet paid up, in full, for all costs my gf incurred (booking a last minute flight, getting back from gatwick, getting to heathrow, and getting from geneva to lyon at the other end), without grumbling the other day. Very good of them

Flaperon

5lab – easyJet are short on pilots at the moment.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Small-print is not your friend in this case.
    Insurance might be…

edd

ex-pat – did you read the thread?!

Smudger666

same here

cancelled flight before Xmas – flight refunded and alternative travel arrangements paid for without a fuss, albeit it took them 6 weeks to pay up.

Quite impressed really!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Flight cancelled – how much can I soak them for?’ is closed to new replies.