Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Flats to SPDs, any tips on technique and pedals?
  • colonelwax
    Free Member

Well, my pedal history on MTBs has been clips and straps, Powerstraps, then flat pedals. I even had toeclips on my road bike.

Anyway I have now joined the 1990s and have bought some MTB SPDs and shoes. Put them on my road bike, quite like them and decided to have a go off road too.

So any tips for riding offroad clipped in? Looking at pedals something like these. I’m firmly wheels on the ground if that makes any difference.

rickon
    Free Member

Yep – the ones you’ve picked out are good to start with, have a platform for you to aim for.

Set the spring to the lowest setting, and use some worn cleats – this will aid with disengaging.

People here will question whether you actually need to ride with cleats, do you? The benefit they give is better climbing ability, as you can pull on steep climbs, arguably they help with technical climbing too – but that weighs off against if they make you feel less secure, and more nervous. So…. do you *need* to be clipped in?

Personally, I do – and I far prefer being clipped in – but it’s pretty 50/50 between people.

The only advice is to ride as much as you can with them, and you’ll get used to clipping and unclipping eventually. Be prepared to fall off at some point clipped in – and it will almost certainly be as slow speed or while stopped.

rocketman
    Free Member

Can be useful to write UNCLIP! on a label and stick it on the bars. Also practice holding the cleat against the release tension when you approach tricky sections so you can unclip quicker. Shimano’s SH56 multi-release cleats are most excellent.

Despite the marketing hype SPD pedals are only half the equation – the shoes are just as important.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    colonelwax
    Free Member

Cheers. I’m intending on riding longer distances, which ain’t really technical. Suppose the improved pedalling efficiency and comfort/support for a long day appeal.

I am 100% certain I will forget to unclip, spent my whole ride on monday thinking “twist”.

Also practice holding the cleat against the release tension when you approach tricky sections so you can unclip quicker

That’s the sort of thing I was unsure about.

enfht
    Free Member

Why spd off road, genuine question.

practice holding the cleat against the release tension when you approach tricky sections

that’s the mind game lost right there.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why spd? more efficient peddling. I simply prefer to be clipped in as I have always ridden clips or clipless

xiphon
    Free Member

Hammering through a rock garden where your feet can bounce off – handy place to be clipped in.

dribbling
    Free Member

Would advise they’re set up properly; I used them ten years ago without problem but tried again a few years ago and was a different matter; suffered knee pain after 15miles without fail.

Lots of advice out there on in/outstep of feet etc – my advice after looking into, seeing physio’s & smoe chap who’s ‘speciality’ was bike set-up is to look at your feet position to see how they natually sit when using flats, then try to seat your cleats to match.

Also, be aware of proper seat set-up to ensure you’re not tugging leg by having seat too high & bottom of leg stroke too low; another sure fire way to knacker knees!

That’s my two penneth; good luck 🙂

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’d advise wearing elbow pads for the first few goes, as a precaution.

I’ve ridden with spuds since 94 and they are great but my argument is one sided as I’ve only ridden on flats maybe twice in that time.

Rickons advice is good, do lots of practice twisting out and keep your tension quite slack initially – but not too slack your feet ‘pop’ out.

Also check your cleats every few rides, sometimes the bolts come loose and if that happens, a whole world of hurt will open up in front of you.

Good luck.

vegman
    Free Member

If you are buying Time pedals (which I did) don’t put the cleats the ‘racing’ way round and don’t then make your first trip out to the pub! Unless you fancy the skin being removed from your knees…

colonelwax
    Free Member

I think it’s going to be weird being attached to my bike. I can happily bunny hop it on flats, and I suppose I subconsciously shift my weight around on the pedals descending etc.

Just think SPDs will be better for the type of riding i do now.

continuity
    Free Member

How to setup your spds by fabien barel

relliott6879
    Free Member

Echoing some of the comments above, set them up on their slackest tension at first then slowly begin to increase it as your confidence does likewise.

Good shout on getting them properly aligned too, if in doubt seek advice from a good bike shop, although Google will yield everything you need to know. Misaligned clipless pedals will result in knee problems…

As far as remembering to clip out is concerned, you will inevitably fall off at some point, most likely in when slowing to a stop. Unclipping will though eventually become second nature. I’m so used to clipless pedals that I feel postively insecure on a bike without them. Some people are die-hard flat pedal enthusiasts, I love my SPuDs, horses for courses.

justatheory
    Free Member

There isn’t really a technique for spuds in fact they kind of let you cheat and get away with poor technique.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Feel much better. Got my “toppling over while attached to my bike as the tension was et too tight. At a pedestrian crossing” moment over with now.

2nd ride on SPds.

danjthomas
    Free Member

One thing I found help is to adjust the angle of the cleat so that when your foot is in a natural/straight position it’s against the outside limit to clip out. This makes panache clipping out as easy as possible.

Also, if you can feel your slipping to a holt on a climb then concentrate on balance so you can give yourself time to clip out.

danjthomas
    Free Member

One thing I found help is to adjust the angle of the cleat so that when your foot is in a natural/straight position it’s against the outside limit to clip out. This makes panache clipping out as easy as possible.

Also, if you can feel your slipping to a holt on a climb then concentrate on balance so you can give yourself time to clip out.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

I think I will have a fully committed attempt at covering to spuds this summer. I’ve dabbled before but after a baptism of fire where i fell off at slow speed more than once (quite a few times tbh) due to a combination of lack of experience and confidence i stuck with my flats. The thing is… I like the planted feel of my stealth rubber on a nice wide platform. And to achieve this with SPD’s I need them tight. I can’t get away with the movement of slack pedal and just seem to be stuck at this stage. Also I’ve had a few decent offs in my time where I’ve been able to abandon the bike and if I hadn’t the consequences would have been much more severe tbh. I found that on really technical accents on SPD’s where I’m blowing out my arse and traction is difficult to find then the physical movement of releasing the cleat is far from second nature. I kind of like being able to dab if I need to, walk into cafés etc without sounding like a tap dancer so I’m not sure if the benefits will outweigh the downside for me personally? Still gonna try tho… One full summer and after that I’ll stick with one or the other! Lol

continuity
    Free Member

Every time you go downhill, repeat over and over and over.

HEAVY FEET, LIGHT HANDS.

kiwijohn

There isn’t really a technique for spuds in fact they kind of let you cheat and get away with poor technique.

What a load of carp.
    Your feet stay in the same spot until you tell them to let go. Ain’t nothing poor about that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

colonel wax – Member

Feel much better. Got my “toppling over while attached to my bike as the tension was et too tight. At a pedestrian crossing” moment over with now.

2nd ride on SPds.
    😆
    Pics?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

TJ – my very first ride on clipless was with a set of Time ATAC’s. Put them on, set off up the hill and thought “ooh, i like this!”
    Got to the crossroads at the top of the hill, lights were on red so i needed to stop (hint!!) pulled up alongside a softtop car with 4 very attractive and young blonde ladies inside…. and found i couldn’t get my foot out!

Looked at them in panic and slowly – ever so slowly – toppled onto the verge where i lay completely unable to get my foot out of the bloody pedal!
    Lady in the passenger seat asked if i was ok, i just shut my eyes and waited for the lights to change as i went redder and redder in the face!

The ATAC’s were that tight i had to take my shoe off and twist to free it from the pedal. They went in the bin that very night and i ordered some SPD’s from CRC and never looked back.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Sorry Teej, no pics 🙁

Was similar to muddydwarf, slowed down, remembered to twist heel, ever so slow collapse to the floor. With one foot still stuck.

I have now backed off the tension.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Stand the bike against a wall and then practice the action to unclip a few times and in print it on your mind and then just get on with.

Its all pyschological so if you think its going to be a nightmare it will be.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Problem is/was that I’ve fitted an old pair given to me by my brother-in-law to my road bike. Rode it, no drama.

Fitted a new pair to my commuter and didn’t bother checking the retention strength. Which apparently was set to “concrete”.

continuity
    Free Member

As an spd rider yes, they cheat you for technique as a beginner.

You don’t have to weight your feet to keep them planted. But as soon as you start getting faster you get punished for this by slideouts.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Flats to SPDs, any tips on technique and pedals?’ is closed to new replies.