Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Flat roofs/EPDM roofing. Any experiences/ recommendations ?
  • midlifecrashes

Have a bay window which has sprung a leak, it’s a lead roof, and having a couple of repairs done on it and another in the past, there don’t seem to be any guys around skilled in leadwork anymore. Hence looking to replace. This Firestone/EPDM stuff seems all the rage, anyone had experience with it? Oh and if you know someone good in South Yorkshire, that would be handy. Thanks.

midlifecrashes

Shameless bump for afternoon shift. 😉

pjm84
    Free Member

Yes I have it on my roof over the new extension. My roof is sunken so not viewable.

If the bay window is exposed I would look at a fleece backed adhered single ply system to minimise ghosting. The Firestone stuff is very thin.

You can then adhere extrusions to the roof to match the appearance of lead rolls.

midlifecrashes

Yup, this one is concealed too, there is a parapet/upstand around the outside and a single outfall to one side, which drops into a hopper. Whatever I put on will need to be robust enough to take traffic from window cleaner putting ladders on it and the like, so maybe thin membrane stuff isn’t the answer.

crankboy
    Free Member

we used the flat roof company http://www.flatroof.co.uk/ for our full house flat roof the product and quality of work seemed very good we have had a couple of snags which the have fixed promptly and effectively under their guarantee.

we are in leeds.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Look up sarna products. Did a recessed balcOny that sat over the dining room on a big build last yr. 25 yr guarantee if fitted by approved contractors. Been using sarna lined gutters on factory gutters for yrs now.

pjm84
    Free Member

No good for ladders although you can install additional protection. Although I would not advise putting a ladder off a bay roof even with protection (H&S stuff / disclaimer!)

Agree the window cleaner going on mine to clean the my roof light. Does make me nervous.

Depending on the size (particularly if it’s small) and complexity of the roof I would consider the EDPM option. Mine is done in one piece minimising the risk of roll joints.

Maybe look at a ballasted option to provide protection. I didn’t bother on mine but I did consider this approach. If you’re looking to place a ladder on it I would consider protection with both EDPM and a single ply system such as Sarna as mentioned.

Check you’ve no restrictions. Generally I would associate this “type of architecture” with a possible Listed Building. Check it’s not to avoid any unneccessary pain.

wingnuts

I’ve got 240 sqm of EPDM and think its a good shout. Several of the houses here have it and nobody has complained. Some have already had it in for 10/12 years.
    Although it looks thin it is very robust. We’ve had assorts over ours without problems. If the window cleaner worries you get an appropriately shaped bit of ply for him to rest his ladder on. You’ll have to be trying very deliberately to damage it.
    The only thing with bay/parapits etc is the upstand and that is a quality of tradesman issue rather than product.

midlifecrashes

Thanks again, we’re not listed, but are in a conservation area, but no restrictions on materials specified, plus it’s invisible unless you’re leaning out of my bedroom window. Window cleaner is only slightly dodgy as it’s just to reach the top half of the bedroom windows, so he goes up three steps of the short ladder, which is securely footed by the parapet. I can make up an L shaped piece for the ladder to sit in and make it non-slip. First priority today is getting someone to plug the leaky lead one.

ethanr1
    Free Member

My friend had a similar situation and he used a liquid rubber system, think these are the guys http://www.liquidrubber.co.uk

Hope this helps

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Flat roofs/EPDM roofing. Any experiences/ recommendations ?’ is closed to new replies.