Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Flat Pedals – Pick Some For Me!!!
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

Wellgo mag1’s were my preference before the outlands, with the outlands your feet don’t become “light on the pedals” at the top of the stroke

fivespot
    Free Member

Nano’s here too, but from here http://www.readytoridecycles.co.uk/ht-components-magnesium-mn06ss-nano-flat-pedal-277-p.asp

Made by HT Components in the same factory that make Superstar and Nuke Proof pedals (as far as I’m aware). Cheaper than Superstar, and FAR cheaper than Nuke Proof 😉

lovetoride
    Free Member

MrNutt, the grip is pretty good then, I see no pins on the outside edge, is this noticeable in use?

VanHalen

GW – Member
    I hope for your sake you don’t ride techy descents in very muddy conditions often
    Firstly the stupid recesses around the pins fill with mud rendering the pins almost useless and to top it off the outer edge is has cut aways rather than a raised edge meaning your feet have a nice slope to slide off to the outside.

thats why you run longer pins in gusset slim jims. double concave shape is nice and the longer pins mean even in the shittyest slop i can razz without slipping and having to wear special shoes.

definitely recommended. but you do need the longer pins.

just goes to show that pedals are a personal thing. i’ve tried loads of the ones recommended above but these have been the best for me.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Superstar nano’s for me. Bought them for the alps in July and i think they’re great. Look pimp too!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Big fan of my SuperStar Nanos (through-pin version). Got some on my bike and also equipped all our hire bikes with them.

Light(ish), grippy, haven’t damaged them at all yet (having stripped pretty much all the pins from my DMR’s last year).

bazzer
    Free Member

5050 XX. Not the single X version

Had three pairs for various reasons.

First pair both seized and needed rebuilding, When I rebuilt them hardley any grease.

Second pair, play in the axles straight out of the box.

Third pair screws holding plates on not enough locktite and they fell out and plates came loose and one of the pedal bodies is moving on the axle even though the bearings are good and the nut is done up.

On the plus side I like they way they ride and the importer is very helpful at sorting things out on the phone so far. Need to send them back to let them look at them for me soon.

Might try the Canfield Crampons though as they are on a Sunday and any improvment in ground clearance has to be a bonus 🙂

Bazzer

GW
    Free Member

Van Halen – Member

thats why you run longer pins in gusset slim jims. double concave shape is nice and the longer pins mean even in the shittyest slop i can razz without slipping and having to wear special shoes.

definitely recommended. but you do need the longer pins.

just goes to show that pedals are a personal thing. i’ve tried loads of the ones recommended above but these have been the best for me.

FFS! if they weren’t so stipidly designed you wouldn’t need to change the pins, would you?. and that double concave you think they have isn’t actually complete with those **** stupid cut away sections at the shoulder/edges. Also you shouldn’t really ever lose your feet riding shitty conditios until it gets rough, steep, technical or a mix of all 3 even with no pedal pins.

coogan
    Free Member

5050’s are the worst pedal I’ve used. Avoid IMO.

VanHalen

FFS! if they weren’t so stipidly designed you wouldn’t need to change the pins, would you?. and that double concave you think they have isn’t actually complete with those **** stupid cut away sections at the shoulder/edges. Also you shouldn’t really ever lose your feet riding shitty conditios until it gets rough, steep, technical or a mix of all 3 even with no pedal pins.

lol. you only have to look at the pins to see they are shorter than 99% of other pedals. its bloody obvious you need longer pins for anything muddy. i thought they were originally designed as a ‘bmx’ pedal hence the short pins.

alpin
    Free Member

i had a pair of MG1s. nice pedal in so much as they are light and grippy, but after a few months of heavy riding one pedal developed a ‘click’.

opened them up to regrease everything which solved the problem for a short while, but it soon came back.

now got a set of OnOff somethingorothers. loads of grip and about the same weight as the MG1s.

iainc

I have a set of twice used black DMR V8’s that I keep meaning to try and sell 😛

GW
    Free Member

lol. you only have to look at the pins to see they are shorter than 99% of other pedals. its bloody obvious you need longer pins for anything muddy. i thought they were originally designed as a ‘bmx’ pedal hence the short pins

LOL indeed! you absolute **** ‘tard! the pins are 8mm grub screws! exactly the same length as in almost all standard off the shelf pedals, it’s the (I’ll shout it as you clearly are a bit special) BADLY DESIGNED Mud trappig RECESSES around them that drops

the height of them!! take them out and measure them if you don’t believe me. 🙄

Why do you feel the need to defend a blatatly obvious flawed design in a cheap far eastern catalogue part anyway?

jedi

gw, and breathe…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So much hostility over pedals! Can we have a nice group hug please?

lovetoride
    Free Member

Deep breaths!!

I think the gusset ones are made by wellgo who make loads of different pedal designs!

sobriety
    Free Member

My gf has slim jims, they’re pink, she likes them, i fitted longer pins before i put them on her bike. I use a combination of azonic a-frames and wellgo b-54s on different bikes, both are great pedals.

GW
    Free Member

Hee hee… 8)

PeteG55
    Free Member

I love the Shimano DXs, just last forever and a really good shape on top. Bit thick though. Worse pedals I had were the DMR V8/V12s, utter carp.

lovetoride
    Free Member

Looks like its down to these:

Shimano DX
    Superstar Nano (or El Gallo Jeffe)
    Azonic 420

ART

Dib dib, dob, Just pick some …. 🙄 🙂

DaddyFool
    Free Member

Using Blackspire Big Slims here. No complaints. Nice big platform. Taken plenty hits, muck n water…….still 100%.

si-wilson
    Free Member

there can be only one pedal 🙂

Canfield Crampons, also available in less garish colours.

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/canfield.html

scruff
    Free Member

I think those crampons will become a plate for winter mud.

johnduke
    Free Member

just to throw something else into the mix, I was looking at these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23395

not crazy expensive and fairly light, any opinions?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Si has the best pedals, the lack of pins on the outside of the hasn’t been an issue for mr, I’ve size 10 feet but I tend to rub the cranks so not really suffered my feet sliding off the sides, on a plus point the pins sharpen up when bounced off rocks and although the platform is not as wide as some the grip is good

lovetoride
    Free Member

I think they’re slightly out of my price range!!

VanHalen

Why do you feel the need to defend a blatatly obvious flawed design in a cheap far eastern catalogue part anyway?

why do you feel the need to tell me what parts i should (or in this case shouldnt) be riding? i like em and you dont. we have a different opinion. yay!. thats novel for here isnt it.

scaredypants

john duke – I’ve had a pair of those nc17 ones

small platform, which I quite like

have lasted OK, I’m not as boom-gnarly as some of the big kids up there ^ though. few pins gone/bent on rocks

(didn’t pay all that much for them, and pretty sure I wouldn’t)

GW
    Free Member

VH – Where did I tell you what to ride? oh, yeah.. I didn’t, did I? I simply pointed out a couple of design flaws in a random part you for some reason seem overly fond of. 😉

Northwind

I like how passionate we can be about flat bits of metal :mrgreen:

MG1s… Not as tough as some obviously, cast mag pedal bodies after all but they’re not fragile any more than they’re bombproof. One of mine is a wee bit bent out of shape and they’re both scarred to hell but they keep going and they’ve had some pretty solid whacks. Some of those impacts, I wouldn’t blame them at all if they’d broken but they didn’t, so good stuff.

The Superstar ones seem good but never really given any of them a hard time, always just used them on borrowed bikes. The basic ones are a bit pricey though.

I just picked up a set of the Outland CNC flats, more or less on a whim. These ones:
    http://media.raleigh.co.uk/panda/medium/OPE021B.jpg

Now, you look at the things and think they won’t grip, only 6 pins per side, no edge pin (photo shows 5, they have 6 now). But since we’re all wearing stupidly grippy shoes anyway, it turns out 6 pins is fine for me, and destroys my leg less when I’m careless pushing the damn bikes round the garage. Not got a longterm opinion, oh and the claimed weight is crooked but I’m pretty pleased so far. Need to give them a bit of a beating to be sure, so far they’ve scraped but not suffered.

RUSHER4

I’ve had Wellgo V8 copies, DMR V8’s and MG1’s.

They’re all great with Five Tens and only OK with anything else I’ve tried. In fact if it wasn’t for 510s I’d go back to SPD’s!

lovetoride
    Free Member

northwind, where did you find out they now have six pins?

Northwind

By virtue of counting them with my fingers after they arrived 😆

MrNutt
    Free Member

Northwind those are the pedals I’ve been banging on about, they seem surprisingly strong and the pins seem to get sharper! Check your fingers though, mine only have 5 pins per side

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

kona wah wahs seem to work for me

Northwind

MrNutt, I can’t count my fingers, it gets confusing. But definately 6 a side on these. They’re 20 grams overweight so maybe a design change?

MrNutt
    Free Member

How odd, mine have two at heel and three at the toe, u sure? Take a photo will ya, I shan’t get a wink of sleep now! 😀

cinnamon_girl

I have Funn Soljams on my singlespeed and find them very grippy, used in conjunction with 5:10’s. They are a bit heavy, pretty wide too and have drawn blood a couple of times. 😯

I really like them and they have sealed bearings too. 8)

Northwind

MrNutt, I was just in the garage and had another look and there are 6 on each side, promise. 1 2 3 4 5 6.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Flat Pedals – Pick Some For Me!!!’ is closed to new replies.