Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Fixie/Fixed 29er ….. Crazy to consider building?
  • letmetalktomark

I like the idea of a fixed commuter/pootling bike.

That said my jeans aren’t really tight enough or my handlebar width preferences narrow enough to pull off (ooh er) a dedicated 700c skinny tyre’d fixie.

Soooooo

I was thinking of using one of the SS specific 29er Inbred frames and building a conventional 29er bike albeit with a 135mm fixed disc hub on the back.

Was thinking flat bars rather than drops so it should work I guess 😕

Thoughts?

danielgroves
    Free Member

You’ll die in a large fireball riding fixed.

IHN

As is ever, you’ll be fine.

miketually
    Free Member

Other than 135mm fixed disc hub being rarer than a rare thing, there’s no reason why not. I ran my 29er fixie with just a front disk.

kcal

why not? I was pottering about with an old MTB frame, it’s ended up some way from where it started – old M2 (alu), with drop bars, P2 forks, and (currently) a fixed WI hub (flip-flop so can go freewheel if I want).

Looks a bit odd, use it for 1-2 hour blasts round local roads, but it’s been 70+ miles without any ill effects..

shermer75
    Free Member

Fixie’s are great bikes to ride, it’s almost a shame they’ve become so popular in a way because now it’s hard to have one without it feeling like a fashion statement. That won’t last though!

buck53

Nothing to say on fixies one way or the other, but I’ve never come across them with brakes on. How does that work, then? I thought you were just supposed to stop pedalling and brace against the cranks/pedals?

thomthumb
    Free Member

my scandal was brilliant fun fixed off road. i much preferred fixed mtb to fixed cross – makes you pick really swoopy lines.

Other than 135mm fixed disc hub being rarer than a rare thing

http://surlybikes.com/parts/wheels/hubs

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/135mm_fixed_hubs/c21.html

on one used to make them. i have one…

simon1975

You’ll almost definitely find that you only need a front brake so don’t worry too much about anything fancy at the back (any disc hub with a bolt-on cog will do). Why not consider a Pompino/Pompetamine with CX tyres if you want a commuter / pootler?

Regarding the skinny-jeans thing, most people don’t even notice that my bikes have fixed wheels… They don’t have to be “fixies” in the trendy sense. Just bikes.

mangoridebike

I have a 135mm on one flip flop hub which I’ve been struggling to find a use for if you’re interested

email in profile

letmetalktomark

mangoridebike – Member

I have a 135mm on one flip flop hub which I’ve been struggling to find a use for if you’re interested

email in profile

Thank you for the offer but was planning a disc/fixed hub like in the link above.

simon1975

mango ygm 😉

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Why not use a standard 135 disc hub, swap it round and run one of these on it? A lot cheaper than a new hub.

miketually
    Free Member

Nothing to say on fixies one way or the other, but I’ve never come across them with brakes on. How does that work, then? I thought you were just supposed to stop pedalling and brace against the cranks/pedals?

To ride on the road, a bike must have two brakes; the fixed wheel only counts as one.

Spin
    Free Member

I’m running a Cotic Roadrat as a sort of bodged up 29er mountain bike.

Front brake only, managed to cram in some 1.8″ tyres and using Halo Aerowarrior 36 hole wheels with the 135mm conversion kit.

It is the most fun bike I’ve ever had and I credit it in part for the fairly dramatic improvement in my abilities over the last few years.

TiRed

Nothing to say on fixies one way or the other, but I’ve never come across them with brakes on.

Eh?

Aside from an inability to coast or change gear, there is no difference between my fixed commuting bike and any other road bike – and that includes the geometry.

Regarding the skinny-jeans thing, most people don’t even notice that my bikes have fixed wheels… They don’t have to be “fixies” in the trendy sense. Just bikes.

This!

tinribz
    Free Member

Just built up a 29er SS inbred, flat bars and bar ends for leverage up hills, but with one of those built-in freewheel cogs. My first time SS, rides much better than was expecting. Not sure I’d want to off-road fixed but bet it would be a blast on tarmac.

tomlevell

Back brakes are useful on massive downhills and offroad (especially when muddy) Not really necessary for a normal commute but still handy.

Try and beg/borrow a fixed road wheel off someone to try first as a disc one is quite an expensive thing to have hanging around not being used. And no I’m not selling you mine that’s not doing much as it’ll take my fancy again soon enough.

singlespeedstu

Mark.
    I have an Echo fixed/disc trials hub built up onto a Halo 29er rim that i might want to sell as it’s not been used for quite a while.

flashes
    Free Member

Now with a Paul canti instead of the disc brake, still my favourite bike……..

flashes
    Free Member

And I’ve got those wheels for sale, so disc / SS which I used with the bolt on fixed sprocket….£80 collected (Bristol)….

flashes
    Free Member

Mind my Pompino commuter is also a laugh….

Keef
    Free Member

Got an old Spesh single cross,only ever run it fixed,front V brake,ride it most days,does every thing pretty well.if I could only keep one bike,it would be this one.

letmetalktomark

@ SSS – will the thread on the hub also take a freewheel or is it just fixed? Either way I’m interested 🙂

Keef
    Free Member

You can screw a freewheel on to a fixed hub,same thread,fixed has a smaller lh thread for the lock ring,as well as the main thread for the cog,if you see what I mean…

singlespeedstu

Mark.
    I’ll do some pics tomorrow for you.
    It uses a standard SS cog.
    It looks like a short SS freehub body but it’s fixed.
    Great for adjusting chainline to be bang on.

singlespeedstu

Look very much like this kind of setup but bolt in.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Fixie/Fixed 29er ….. Crazy to consider building?’ is closed to new replies.