Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Which club near edinburgh to join?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Hi all

Looking to join a club in 2014, to both get fit and meet some new riding chums.

Any suggestions on a friendly local club for Road and mtb riding

thanks

bigG
    Free Member

how close to Edinburgh? Stirling Bike Club are a very welcoming and popular bunch, only 24 miles from Edinburgh.

fasthaggis

ERC

They are legion ,you are bound to find a sub group that you will like 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

Surely Edinburgh RC is the one to be in?

imnotverygood

ERC are the biggest but have a rep for being too big & a bit elitist. West Lothian Clarion are quite friendly & based in Linlithgow. Ronde are friendly too, but can sometimes be seen as too linked to a trendy bike shop.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

My two pence worth on ERC, road side I have no problems with and they have a vast array of rides and events for all abilities where as the MTB side feels very tagged on. I joined a few years ago and went on a few MTB group rides they were friendly enough, not ultra friendly but friendly enough. But at races no one talks to you at all, the least friendly club I have ever experienced on this front, no one from the club cheers you on or even says hello when you or they pass you.

Maybe it’s just me but I am certainly in no hurry to join them again.

plus-one

Midlothian cycling club(not long started up) presence on Facebook are more mtb focused regular meets and family/kids rides too..

I always said hello to fellow erc’rs when I was with them but just reckon being so big was the main issue.. Yes few elitist types but same with any club really 🙂

lightman
    Free Member

My two pence worth on ERC, road side I have no problems with and they have a vast array of rides and events for all abilities where as the MTB side feels very tagged on. I joined a few years ago and went on a few MTB group rides they were friendly enough, not ultra friendly but friendly enough. But at races no one talks to you at all, the least friendly club I have ever experienced on this front, no one from the club cheers you on or even says hello when you or they pass you.

Maybe it’s just me but I am certainly in no hurry to join them again.

It felt a bit like that when I first joined (many many years ago), but it does go both ways. Did you try and talk to other people too?
    You also have to remember, people at races are usually focusing on their race, so some may not really be in the mindset to have a blether.
    Also, because of the size of the ERC, there is a good chance the people who are not talking, are new to the club too and will happily talk to you if you talk first!
    You will find its the members who have been in the club for a long time that will chat to anyone in a club top, I know I do.
    As for not cheering you on, where was that?
    The races I have been in/watched, everyone watching usually cheers anyone on a bike no matter what club you’re in!
    They have a club 10m TT every Wednesday throughout the summer where newbies are encouraged to come along and get to know people and try out TT’ing. Everyone has a good laugh there.

With the ERC, you will usually find a sub group of like minded people who do the riding you’re after, and then you can train/ride with them.

dukeduvet

How about Edinburgh Mountain Bikers link and also there is an east Lothian group on facebook.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I did see the west lothian one, its out where I cycle quite alot during the summer so might be a decent bet but ERC also food for thought.

Whats the etiquete? Just rock up in the morning, or do I have to contact them first?

Roadie wise, during the summer I can average around 18mph for a 30mph loop going solos, with roughly 1500ft of climbing. I’d be slower at the mo. Will I be able to keep up?

kennyp
    Free Member

West Lothian Clarion are very friendly, and with those stats you’ll keep up no problem at all.

ERC have a reputation as being a bit unfriendly, although to become that big a club they must be doing something right, so I suspect the reputation isn’t a deserved one.

coastkid
    Free Member

ERC must be really friendly to go on runs with, as they ride 5 or 6 abreast down here on East Lothians roads busy and narrow A and B roads so they can chat and have some banter i imagine – the tail backs of fans in cars behind following is legendary 😆

Totally peeing off-then being militant and abusive to car drivers they illeagally hold up!
    Funny how off duty policemen and other “Professional?” people can behave like that once on a bicycle :mrgreen: 😉

bigjim

I’ve heard bad things of ERC too, from a couple of people who’ve joined rides.

We used to meet for summer night rides organised on here, but it’s all fizzled out.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was in ERC when I raced and may re-join, it is massive and I’d say pretty positive/encouraging for new roadies. The Saturday am runs are at various paces, Tuesday nights are fast. There are groups for racing etc and coaching too.

Bruce I’ve not seen riding like that on the runs I’ve been on. They do attract a lot of people I’ll accept – how is that illegal?

scotroutes

Ah yes the TBC Wednesday night rides…..

kcr
    Free Member

Have a look at the club website for information about ERC:
    http://www.edinburghrc.co.uk/
    The mountainbikers also have a Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/edinburghmtb/

ERC lead a 9:50 development ride for beginners on Saturday morning and we have a relaxed social Sunday ride twice a month. There are also lots of unofficial ERC group rides. There is a thriving coached junior section which is very popular with younger riders, a very active triathlon section, and women make up about 25% of the club membership. It’s a very accessible and friendly club, and probably one of the least elitist cycling groups I know of. As a result we have over 600 members aged from 8 to 80, at all levels of ability (one of the biggest clubs in the UK). I joined ERC 15 years ago when I moved to Edinburgh specifically because they were the friendliest local bunch. The club has grown hugely since then, but it is still a bunch of people who really enjoy their cycling and put a lot of volunteer effort into the local cycling scene through coaching and running events.

I would suggest you come along to some of the club events (details on the website) chat to a few people and see if it suits you. You don’t have to join up to come out on a club run. It might not be your cup of tea, but give us a shot and make your own mind up. There are several other clubs in the Edinburgh area if ERC doesn’t suit you, and you’ll be able to meet people from all clubs via the local chaingangs.

kcr
    Free Member

…and if that’s not enough, I’ve just learnt that cynic-al might be rejoining.
    What more do you need?

lightman
    Free Member

coastkid – Member

ERC must be really friendly to go on runs with, as they ride 5 or 6 abreast down here on East Lothians roads busy and narrow A and B roads so they can chat and have some banter i imagine – the tail backs of fans in cars behind following is legendary

Totally peeing off-then being militant and abusive to car drivers they illeagally hold up!
    Funny how off duty policemen and other “Professional?” people can behave like that once on a bicycle

Got to say, that is BS!
    5 or 6 abreast would mean they would be cycling on the other side of the road!
    Also, I am guessing you’re talking about the Saturday morning rides, of which, the ERC only organise one, and that is a development run where they teach beginners how to ride in a group, which is two abreast at most and usually limited to a dozen riders per group.
    Try and remember, there are a lot of riders from different clubs around Edinburgh who go out on the Saturday morning runs, and even then, its for the chaingang, and it is not efficient for them to ride more than two abreast because it just wont work if they do. It might look different from behind when the group strings out and then bunches up again as it slows.

I wont touch the stupid comment about cyclists illegally holding up drivers!!

Having said that, there are a lot of idiots that go out on those chaingangs who’s only purpose is to hang onto the “Fast Group” for as long as possible no matter what it costs (they’re the ones hanging on at the back)!
    I tend to use my mtb on slower groups where the riding and group size is a lot more civilised.

If you wanted to go out on the ERC development ride, contact the ride leader (so they can look out for you arriving) or for the other rides, you just show up and hope you don’t get the wrong group! The fastest go off first from 9.30am.

scotroutes

Exactly – hence the comment about illegally holding up other traffic. Coastkid isn’t the only East Lothian cyclist to have commented on this to me.

Maybe it’s another group of folk that just happen to be wearing ERC jerseys?

scotroutes

lightman
    Free Member

As I said, the are a lot of idiots on these rides, but I really doubt every rider in whatever group that was, was wearing a ERC top, or was it just the usual, “I saw a group of cyclists all over the road and could easily spot the ERC top, so that means they were ALL ERC riders and the whole club is to blame” rubbish?

There are probably over a dozen Saturday morn chaingangs, and the ERC organise only one of those for pure beginners, as I said above.

scotroutes

Yep – could well have been a few ERC jerseys in a bigger group, but I’ve heard of it more than once.

coastkid
    Free Member

Thanks Colin!, do you ERC guys want some video evidence to prove this?
    No probs, happy to film these idiots on our roads!.

I watched a ERC group ride down from Drem towards Fenton Barnes, and from the Airfield i heard the swearing at car drivers which was unreal after a car beeped its horn at them!

Sick and tired of folk saying to me “Oh your a cyclist!, are you one of those guys that hog across the roads etc..”

Local police have had a lot of complaints about this non competition group cycling behaviour from the public and are looking into it..

Even on here the ERC replies smell of militant agression!- what a bunch of assholes! 🙄

And sadly it will prob end in a cyclists life, not a ERC rider, caused by the frustration of a car driver that is not necessary

stanfree
    Free Member

I normally ride on my jack jones but have attended Audaxes run by Mussleburgh road club and would have to say they seem like a friendly well organised bunch.

cynic-al
    Free Member

.”our roads” Coast kid?

“unreal” to swear at a driver using their horn?

It’ll be erc’s fault if drivers kill another cyclist?

Please 🙄

zeffir
    Free Member

I’m with you coastkid, they’re more than a nuisance, they’re downright dangerous. I struggle to get past them on the CBR, never mind in a car – Only a matter of time before someone comes a cropper on the coast road.

lightman
    Free Member

Yep, feel free film it to show a whole group of riders in ERC tops riding all over the road.

It may seem like aggression to you, but its more annoyance because people like you (despite it being just explained to you!) blame the ERC for any and all bad riding in groups no matter who is in the group!

I’ll say it AGAIN, there is only one official ERC group on Saturday morning and that is a slow, small development ride.

Just because there is an ERC rider in a group, it doesn’t mean its being run by the ERC.

For the last few years, one of the Saturday morning runs was/is called “The black train of death”! ERC don’t wear black, but certain other clubs do and you may find one or two ERC tops in there, but that doesn’t mean the group has anything to do with the ERC.

Anyway, this is getting way of the point.
    tpbiker, you probably have enough info to chose a club to try out.
    West Lothain Clarrion also have a 10m TT every Wednesday throughout summer too, if that was of any interest to you.
    There are several “Race only Clubs” in Edinburgh too if you were looking to only race and didn’t really want a social side away from the bikes with them.

Its all down to what you want to do really.

coastkid
    Free Member

MRC do indeed race and stick by the Highway Code on East Lothians (Our Al :wink:)roadscode Stanfree, I rememmber drafting Nobby on my C50 around the coast road when 16 and only just keeping up! 😆

kcr
    Free Member

I expect if the “police are looking in to it” they will take action against any individual cyclists breaking the law or causing a nuisance? As pointed out above, only one of the Saturday morning coastal rides is an ERC organised event (the development ride) and I’m not aware of any problems with that.

As a club, ERC has very clear guidelines for members about cycling safely and responsibly. We apply these to any activities we organise, and advise club members to behave responsibly on non club rides. However, the club is not responsible for the actions of individual ERC members or members of other clubs.

Bit taken aback to be described as an “asshole” and I can only hope this reply is not seen as “militant aggression”!

coastkid
    Free Member

Nothing personal Kcr! 🙂

Just what i have witnesed by big group rides. And there was red white and black ERC shirts in the majority, It is of no worries to myself being an offroad cyclist. Just what i have observed myself. And friends too who ride on the road and some offroad.
    I linked this thread on my facebook page earlier and there was a lot of folks in agreement aout the issues of large groups on the roads around here.
    Thanks for you “non militant” reply 🙂

imnotverygood

Yes, it’s a shame cycling is so popular on the back roads of East Lothian. Someone should do something about it before it upsets people driving their cars on their roads.

imnotverygood

scotroutes

🙂

You just spoiled my post. I was going to say “see – even two-abreast on the forum!”

Northwind

Wee bit of surgery and join Hervelo.

imnotverygood

I’m always too quick for the likes of you Colin

scotroutes

or Herr Velo

scotroutes

imnotverygood – Member – Quote
    I’m always too quick for the likes of you Colin

😆

Any comment on this while you’re here?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/10m-cycle-path-to-cut-through-heart-of-edinburgh-1-3267478

buzz1024
    Free Member

Totally agree with Coastkid on this – I’ve also personally witnessed the idiotic behaviour of these groups on many occasions. East lothian is very cycle friendly but I hear more & more complaints from local residents re the lack of any roadcraft and consideration from these groups. Clubrules are all very well but who actually enforces them? You can’t blame car drivers for everything.

mrwood205
    Free Member

As above! I cycle off road mainly and give road cyclists all the space and time in the world but I also have witnessed ERC ‘dressed’ riders being….. I’m sorry but …..****! Heaven for bib an old lady from north berwick comes across them in her wee Renault modus! Disaster!!!!

zeffir
    Free Member

I recently passed a club (not sure which one) on a long straight on the coast road, must have been the length of 3 buses and just as wide. I was on the motorbike, car drivers in front of me and behind the club were letting me past as there was no way they could safely overtake.

Just as I have no problem with buses on the road if 3 of them are driven along a road at 20mph and refuse to allow anyone to overtake I’d be unhappy yet these clubs present the same risks and if anyone dares to complain they’re accused of being anti-cycling?

Hope the clubs that are causing the problems have undertaken the necessary risk assessments and have their PLI in place because when the inevitable accidents do happen questions will be asked!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Which club near edinburgh to join?’ is closed to new replies.