Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fixed wheel with flats – good idea or will I die?
  • beej

I’ve got an EBC Revolution Courier Single, which has a flip-flop rear hub. I use it for commuting, and ride in normal shoes/jeans (my own – sisters are too big) with flat pedals.

I’m tempted to try it fixed – advisable with flats, or am I likely to shatter my shin bones whilst being hurled over the bars into oncoming traffic?

Oh, brakes both ends.

djglover
    Free Member

Make a video of you trying to ride it and post back under fakenger FAIL

crazy-legs

Do NOT ride flat pedals on a fixie, it’ll all end in tears.

IA

Why not use toeclips?

Just flats will be “interesting”.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Doesn’t it depend on the gearing to some extent? Presumably a very low gear is less of a problem?

If you like your flats but need some foot retention, find some Powergrips. SJS cycles usually have them. They are much less vulnerable than plastic clips and straps and will accomodate pretty much any shoes, and are very snug. I’ve bodged them onto V12s before now although they’re better on smaller pedals.

🙂

finbar
    Free Member

I rode mine with flats for a bit round Sheffield. Couple of ‘interesting’ moments but it wasn’t as bad as all that.

andym
    Free Member

Sorry if I’m being thick and missing the irony, but why would you not ride with flats?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I wouldn’t do it, personally

but why would you not ride with flats

When you try and brake through the pedals you need to be able to pull up with your front foot to stop getting launched over the bars by the back pedal rising up.

grumm
    Free Member

When you try and brake through the pedals you need to be able to pull up with your front foot to stop getting launched over the bars by the back pedal rising up.

Or you could just get a proper bike? 😉

andym
    Free Member

Tosh.

crazy-legs

Tosh.

It’s not tosh at all. For riding round town, especially on a bike with 2 barkes, you could probably get away with it (just), but for true control and the miniscule adjustments in speed you need when riding on a proper track you absolutely NEED clipless pedals.

Olly
    Free Member

thats one sure fire way to knacker your cleats and pedals mefinks?

pulling up on clippless pedals, spd hopping and the like, makes baby jesus cry.

andym
    Free Member

Yes it is tosh. Complete bollocks in fact.

Standard advice for a beginner starting out riding fixed is to use caged pedals:

http://www.63xc.com/gregg/101_1.htm

So far as I can see riding around London, the large majority of fixed riders ride with caged pedals (I’m in the small minority in using SPDs). If beej (the OP) has two brakes he will have no problem controlling the bike. He won’t go over the front handlebars or any other such nonsense.

badbod99
    Free Member

you absolutely NEED clipless pedals.

Or… Clipped in pedals, as in actual toe clips! Seems to be the option of choice for fixies, allows you to ride in your work shoes

Hooter
    Free Member

Indeed, if you’ve got two brakes on the bike, it should be fine.

beej

Thanks folks, toe clips or those other things sound like something to try. If i die i’ll be back to get you.

thomthumb
    Free Member

toe clips are awful on fixed (i’ve done it and i’ll do it again!) it’s difficult to get the timing right. even more so when your half cut – which is when i always seem to be doing it!

JoB
    Free Member

toe clips are awful on fixed (i’ve done it and i’ll do it again!) it’s difficult to get the timing right.

not really, it just takes practise, somehow people lots of people managed it before clipless pedals turned up

gingerflash

“He won’t go over the front handlebars”

Will he go over the rear handlebars instead? 🙂

djglover did make me chuckle.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fixed wheel with flats – good idea or will I die?’ is closed to new replies.