Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fixed wheel maintenance
  • Hopscotch
    Free Member

“ I enjoy cycling a fixed wheel bike, it has minimal parts to go wrong” I said…..till the chain came off this morning, stood by the roadside, wondering how it came off in the first place and why it won’t go back on…confused…and still am?

Can anyone suggest how to do the following:

Put the chain back on? (I can’t back peddle like I do on the MTB)

Clean the chain, can you recommend a de greaser? What lube/oil do I put on it afterwards?

Thank you,

BigJohn

Sometimes you find that the chainring and sprocket are not quite concentric so as you pedal the chain is sometimes loose, sometimes tight. It may have bounced at one of those loose spots.

Turn the bike upside down and you can back pedal as much as you like.

Put the chain on the sprocket first then just force it onto the chainring by pedalling.

I just use an old towel to clean my chain and any old lube I happen to have. Next time you can, check the chainline and retension the chain. Make sure the chainring isn’t buckled, and the wheel is in square.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m still looking for a fixed 26″ wheel if anyone has one

Keef
    Free Member

also check you’ve not got a twisted or kinked link,or a tight link.

StirlingCrispin

The chain can go slack with use.
    Loosen the wheel, put the chain back on and tighten wheel back up, moving it back slightly to give a bit more tension than before.

That should be all you need to do.

Hopscotch
    Free Member

Lack of understanding here. Sprocket? How can you tell the chain is twisted? If it is twisted, kinked etc how can it be fixed?

Many thanks for your responces so far.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

ygm!

mustard
    Free Member

Podge – YGM

BigJohn

Yes, sprocket.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fixed wheel maintenance’ is closed to new replies.