Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • How many people here could honestly manage a 40 mile mountain epic?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m heading off to San Diego on the weekend for a business trip but I’m taking the bike and have been hooked up with a local guy whose going to take me on an epic ride through a place called Noble Cayon.

The ride looks awesome; I mean don’t get me wrong, this is going to be one of those ‘best rides you’ve ever done’ adventures.

Problem is the guy is either really pulling my leg, or is dead set on making this a 12 hour, 40 mile ride of epic proportions, including a three hour initial climb!

Now i’m the first to admit I’m not in the best of shape now compared to when I was 27 and about as fit as your average national champion, but this seems to have fallen a little on deaf ears.

The worst part is this guys is freaking 55 years old!

So genuine concern (especially as this ride will be through genuine wilderness country so there are risk factors) or MTFU?

wwaswas

you could push your bike 40 miles in 12 hours so I wouldn’t worry too much 😉

MSP

Don’t worry about the bike ride, “an epic ride through a place called Noble Cayon” is a quite obvious euphemism 😕

druidh
    Free Member

Not trying to be big-headed like, but I’m 52 and wouldn’t think twice about it. If you’re worried about it then I suspect “your average national champion” is a lot fitter than you.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

40 miles in 12 hours? You could walk that!

mogrim

Doesn’t sound that hard tbh, and googling “Noble Canyon San Diego route profile” shows a 2000ft climb – it’d have to be a very rocky climb for that to be 12hr route!

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ll be fine unless it’s got huge amounts of climbing and you are really unfit (well compared to me!).

Sounds great, might be worth doing a few long rides to get yourself “in shape-ish” for it.

Diane
    Free Member

Go for it – he’ll have to wait 😀

I’d be struggling 😯

cinnamon_girl

Thumbs-up to druid for pointing out that over 50’s should not be written off. 🙂

You’ll be fine and do let us know how you get on! Good luck.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Druidh – I was saying that I used to be that fit, but work and a young family take their toll. On the other hand, I really do applaud you for being in that kind of condition at 52; it gives us all hope.

Yep good points about walking it in 12 hours. That makes me a little more relaxed.

soma_rich
    Free Member

What’s your usual distance when you go for a ride? If you can do 30 miles the extra ten wont be too hard.

uplink
    Free Member

TBH – it doesn’t sound too bad

I’m over 50 & regularly do those sorts of rides, albeit not in the Winter these days

soobalias
    Free Member

suggest you tell him you are up for it, then describe your typical “25mins along the canal” weekend ride to ensure he plans a bail out option for anyone needing to MTFU a bit

soobalias
    Free Member

oh and three of the guys i regularly ride with are pushing 60 hard, all would happily set out on that sort of epic.

druidh
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member
    Druidh – I was saying that I used to be that fit, but work and a young family take their toll.

Ah – I mis-read that bit.

geetee1972 – Member
    On the other hand, I really do applaud you for being in that kind of condition at 52; it gives us all hope.

**** – now you’re making me feel old.

hora
    Free Member

Fake an old injury- ask if you could half it. Mountain biking is about enjoyment, this guy seems to be hellbent on showing off his prowess/age.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Agree with druidh that 40 miles in 12 hours is no big deal at all. I’m 54 and quite happy doing the Ben a’Ghlo circuit in about 6 hours -about 35 miles and 5500 ft of climbing. Wouldn’t class myself as more than reasonably fit

younggeoff

Bring it on 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Have I stepped into some parallel world this morning? 40 miles off-road does not an “Epic” make.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Some pictures of the proposed ride.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You see when I read these replies and look at those pictures, I think ‘MTFU’.

Man I am sooooo excited.

bigbob38
    Free Member

Last year, in a not at all fit state, I managed 155 miles in 2 1/2 days in the black mountains / breacons, with some really fit guys.
    Yours is not an epic – just a ride….
    EDIT: with some rocks 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d call 40 miles all/mostly off road an epic, 45 is about the biggest loop I do for fun (done 100m once, the route was not as much fun).

I didn’t know you were a mega-endurance athlete druidh? 😉

wwaswas

I’d be pushing on the downs too 😉

ojom
    Free Member

What an amazing opportunity! Do it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

looks lovely mate that! you’ll be fine!

i know its not really a comparison but i did 36 miles and 4500ft of climbing in under 5 hours….

about as hard as it gets around peaks which is always pretty steep technical and demanding…so mileage wise 36 miles in 5 hours, and hes wanting to do 40 in 12 hours? you should be fine! be alot of scenery and photo taking opportunities i would have thought and of course plenty of time to eat and refuel with a nice break!

druidh
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    I didn’t know you were a mega-endurance athlete druidh?

That’s just it Al – I’m just a middleold-aged biffer who cycles occasionally.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Must have massive climbs and not much flat to take 12 hours. Take loads of food and drink to keep going. You’ll be trashed but do it anyway. Looks brilliant.

nickegg
    Free Member

Well, it’s certainly not the Surrey Hills is it 😉

Which bike BTW?

scaredypants

Probably something like this ?

My in-laws are in orange county (bit further north). They had massive rainfall (for S Cal) around Christmas and lots of erosion so your trail might be hard to follow, hence long ride

geetee1972
    Free Member

Nickegg not it’s certainly not! It is the terrain my Nicolai Helius AM was made for so I’m taking that.

uplink
    Free Member

OK – who here [apart from geetee] can’t manage to cycle 40 miles in 12hrs?

🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Shouldn’t be an issue, if he’d said 40 miles in 6 hours then I may start thinking ‘hmm that could be a challenge in that terrain’

You’ll be fine, just remember to take the single speed

fettling
    Free Member

Take a camera, then every time you feel you need a breather you can pretend you are just taking photographs 😉

Trekster

geetee1972 – Member
    On the other hand, I really do applaud you for being in that kind of condition at 52; it gives us all hope.
    **** – now you’re making me feel old.

Not yet GT

The worst part is this guys is freaking 55 years old!

I am older and would like to take your place or come with you please 😉

s
    Free Member

Take a camera, then every time you feel you need a breather you can pretend you are just taking photographs

Is that a tip from SFB 😉

The distance would not put me off, but starting off with a 3 hour climb! 😯

Olly
    Free Member

sounds like the dyfi, but with dust,

gothandy

Those photo’s look great. You’d be a fool to miss the opportunity! Go for it.

Saccades
    Free Member

Yep good points about walking it in 12 hours. That makes me a little more relaxed.

What?

rule of thumb is 3 miles per hour over rough terrain add 5 mins per 200ft climbed…

JPcapel
    Free Member

Greg – panic over, stop packing your bike up, I’ll take your place, photos make it look half interresting…..might be worth a gamble to see if its any better than Surrey Hills…..

Man those pictures make me want to puke with envy!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘How many people here could honestly manage a 40 mile mountain epic?’ is closed to new replies.