Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fitting bash guard
  • hainman
    Free Member

I fitted a 32-34bash guard today and it seems to run ok but I’m wondering,do I need to drop my front mech a bit lower due to not having the big ring anymore and what screw is it I dial in to stop the chain dropping of the cranks ?
    I also forgot to remove chain links before removing the big ring.can I still do this with the set up I have now??

Cheers

Craig

Scapegoat

Yes, drop your mech so that it sits about 3 mm above the teeth of the middle ring. On the mech there are two screws . Shift to the ring and screw in the screw nearest to you until it touches the stop.
    You’ll need to shorten the chain. With the rings you have you will need to shorten it to big front, big rear with no overlap except the power link. Use a power link and check that the rear mech doesn’t fold back on itself in small/small, and make sure there is still some s shape in the chain through the jockey wheels on big/big.

hainman
    Free Member

Cheers scapegoat

coogan
    Free Member

Full suss bike? Just make sure the mech being lowered doesn’t hit the lower part of the swing arm. My old HL 5 Spot did that and had to move it back up a wee bit.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

I did the same. Definitely change the limit screw so it doesn’t skip over the bash.

I don’t know about lowering the front mech. It’d probably look better, but it shifted perfectly when I changed it so I just thought if it ain’t broke…

big_scot_nanny

just be very careful when shortening the chain that you do not make it too short.

I used same advice above, plus 2 links, and when I cranked on the gas in the middle ring and biggest cog at the back, the suspension compresses (lengthens) and mangles the shite out of your rear mech as the chain is too short and everything eats itself.

Did that twice before understanding WTF was going on.

YMMV, but check it.

FYI, this on a NP mega.

Kev

hainman
    Free Member

Thanks guys.it changes up and down no problem and its a full suss so might just leave as for ow until I have had proper ride on trails and then decide.will do the limit screw ASAP but not to fussed about the chain shortening or moving the mech till I have tested it the way it is.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fitting bash guard’ is closed to new replies.