• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fitting a towbar to 2002 passat estate ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I can buy the bar and elecs for £80 odd pounds or have one fitted for £240.

Apart from getting the bumper off actual fitting looks fairly straight forward ?!!?

Or shall I just pay up and have it done proper like ?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I fitted one to our 09 plate skids fabia. It didn’t have complex electrics. The mechanical fitting was simple the wires were more complicated. Unless a plug in system is available.
    Chose a detachable type as it had a door already. Have a look at YouTube for videos. Someone must have done something.

wwaswas

I think the issue is if you go for a ‘bypass’ or plug in type.

The former are simpler as you just take a power feed and work with each light wire. The plug in type use the canbus/whatever signals to decide what to do and need more integration.

I got a bloke to do the one on my 5 series as the integrated wiring was a bit of a pig when I looked at the instructions/videos – he had several calls to Wesfalia tech support whilst fitting it so I think I made the right choice.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Some ’02 cars were already using canbus electrics and I’d be pretty wary of messing with them. If you do it yourself the bar may not fall off but what are you going to do if the electrics start behaving oddly?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I did a 51 plate passat estate some time ago.
    No fancy wiring on that one though, just spliced straight into the rear light cluster looms.

br
    Free Member

The usual answer for threads like this should be;

“if you are having to ask, probably worth paying someone who knows what they are doing to do it”

Only you can know both your ability to do stuff and your ability to **** stuff up 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a towbar to 2002 passat estate ?’ is closed to new replies.