Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fishing tackle advice (gear wanted?)
  • boxelder

I used to fish about 25 yrs ago and my son wants to ‘go angling’
    What’s a good all round rod and kit – aiming to fish in lakes and local rivers, with worm/maggots and spinners/lures for coarse fish and trout.
    If anyone has anything suitable they want to convert to bike bling tokens let me know (email in profile)
    Ta

TuckerUK
    Free Member

A 13′ float rod (Shakespeare Mach 1 are OK for a budget rod), a 9ft spinning rod like the ABU Devil Spin 902M, and a 4000 size reel with some spare spools will suffice.

Spools with 2.5lbs, 5lb and 8lb for float fishing, and 15lbs for lure fishing and you’d be covered for most situations and species.

Daiwa Sensor is a good no frills budget line.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Look at the likes of John Norris or the like for a kit, it’ll be good enough til he knows if he wants to get into it.

sadexpunk

got a roach pole left in my garage from bout 30 yrs ago 🙂 pretty good quality in its time but prob dated now.

free pick up from lincoln.

boxelder

sadexpunk
    Thanks, but in Keswick and not sure a pole is the thing.
    Can it be danced around….?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The most important thing to know is where are you fishing and what do you expect to catch? Given you expect trout I assume high/mid river, medium flow, chub, grayling, perch that sort of stuff? I would say most conditions would be a float rod and maggot/castor. Never had any luck spinning myself – not sure why you would unless game or pike fishing?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

john wilson avon is my all rnd weapon of choice. ebay older models ftw

teadrinker
    Free Member

Try getting a starter pack from Bennets Fishing in Sheffield. I’ve mail ordered from them loads of times. I brought a got a course fishing outfit from them 4 years ago and it’s still going strong, been catching fish up to 15lb on it. http://www.bosfish.co.uk/products/bf015_bf018_coarseoutfit.html

boxelder

Thanks – some ideas there. I’ll go to local shop and get the low down.

boxelder

vegasdave
    Free Member

…just a reminder that rivers are closed for Coarse fishing until June 16th. I enjoy lure fishing,but un-hooking Pike can be tricky for the inexperienced,better to go with somebody that knows what they’re doing…..and always use a wire trace.

zimbo
    Free Member

Why not have a crack at fly fishing for those trout? I used to coarse fish years ago, and took up fly fishing three or four years back. I can honestly say there’s nothing (fishing-wise) like the feeling of taking a river brownie on a dry fly, except maybe, and perversely, the pleasure of releasing him unharmed back into the river. There’s all the pleasure of contemplation and serenity you get with coarse fishing, but with more involvement and an added feeling of connection to the water.

boxelder

zimbo – I’ve fly-fished, so know what you mean, but he’s only 8 and wouldn’t manage. I may though!

daftvader
    Free Member

Go outdoors do the tfg sets that are fairly cheap…

myheadsashed

Don’t forget your rod license…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fishing tackle advice (gear wanted?)’ is closed to new replies.