Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Firstcartrackworld
  • meatfist
    Free Member

At 29 I’m a bit of a late starter with driving but with my test imminent, what would the esteemed scholars of stw recommend as a bombproof starter car?

Budget is around £2k, it’ll be used for occasional winter commutes, trips into wales (so roomy enough to chuck a bike in the back) and general pootling around. I’m not interested in anything particularly fast, flashy or fragile.

Cheers – Meatfist.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Japanese cars have been pretty bombproof for me, Nissan, Honda, Toyota. There are certain models to be wary of though (no, not all of them!)

legend
    Free Member

Renaultsport Clio 172, dun.

spooky_b329

We just sold ours, but Ford Fusion is my standard response.

Its a tad ugly and boring, but its based on Fiesta mechanicals so cheap to run/fix, and its like an estate in the back (no lip/lights obstructing the boot). Bikes will lay in the back with front wheel off, handlebars resting between the front seats (but not poking through and getting in the way) We used to put two in this way.

Its also cheaper than the Fiesta as its not as popular.

breadcrumb

Renaultsport Clio 172, dun.

Did you read the OP?! Not yet passed, not after anything fast or fragile! Even at 29 a 172 won’t be cheap to insure.

I’d look at what old folk drive, cheaper insurance normally. I imagine Suziki WagonR should be cheap to run, and should easily take a bike with the seats down.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Firstcartrackworld’ is closed to new replies.