Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • First use of airshot product. Big thumbs up.
  • DT78
    Free Member

Managed to get a pass for a quick ride. Thought I’d dig the mtb out of its winter hibernation. Find out tyres are flat. Start worrying my ride is actually going to get swallowed up by me faffing around with tubeless…..airshot attached….couple of minutes….done. Big thumbs up from me.

astormatt
    Free Member

I love my Airshot, i do change my tyres quite regular and it is definitely one of the best mtb products i have bought. A must for tubeless riders without access to a compressor in my opinion.

honourablegeorge

It does work very well – just seems massively over priced for a bottle.

akira

Yeah even though tyre leaked from valve, getting it sorted much easier with airshot this weekend.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I have one but have failed to air up tyres using with the valve core in, had to remove cores on all set ups. The screw connection is then a pain to remove and keep air in before putting core back in. Maybe a qr style fitting would have been better.

creamegg
    Free Member

I also remove the cores to inflate but never found it hard to keep enough air in when removing the connector.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member
    It does work very well – just seems massively over priced for a bottle.

Possibly but for 60 quid it fits into the not too much category, having used one it’s a great bit of very well made kit – guessing there is a bit of safety testing done on it over and over the coke bottle method. It’s going to be added to my repertoire shortly.

beano68
    Free Member

I also remove the core to inflate it, not a problem once its seated then it goes up straight away

BoardinBob

The screw connection is then a pain to remove and keep air in

I’m guessing you’re using the special attachment for a core less valve? I’ve never had a problem removing it and I don’t worry about keeping the air in. If it did all release it’ll go back up easily with a track pump even with the core fitted assuming the beads sat correctly with the airshot.

greyspoke
    Free Member

You can DIY, not my idea but here’s mine:

Works well.

I go with taking the valve out – with some types of valve I think the force of the air pushes the rubber washer off.

thepodge
    Free Member

I got the bike shop to do mine. I gave them 2 wheels, 2 tyres and 20 quid. They gave me a fully taped, gunked and inflated set of wheels.

I don’t swap tyres much so I’m happy for someone else to go through the faff for me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Possibly but for 60 quid it fits into the not too much category, having used one it’s a great bit of very well made kit – guessing there is a bit of safety testing done on it over and over the coke bottle method. It’s going to be added to my repertoire shortly.

Maybe true but for £10 more you can buy a cheap compressor from screwfix that does the pumping for you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Maybe true but for £10 more you can buy a cheap compressor from screwfix that does the pumping for you.

That won’t pack in my case for travelling though

creamegg
    Free Member

Got mine for £35 at LBS 8)

jam-bo

be nice if there was a version that screwed onto the top of a sigg bottle or similar.

mattjg
    Free Member

My track pump only goes up to about 100psi – is that enough to make this work?

Junkyard
    Free Member

You can DIY

A fire extinguisher is a considerably easier option

Daffy

Junkyard – lazarus

A fire extinguisher is a considerably easier option

A 7up bottle is considerably easier still; I’ve been using one for years.

trail_rat
    Free Member

people take airshots on holiday with them ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

not as effective IME but yes its cheaper

mikewsmith
    Free Member

people take airshots on holiday with them ?

I’ve got the luggage allowance and the space. Based in 1 place for a week I would, off racing then certainly. Doesn’t need power and cheaper than CO2 in the long run.

trail_rat
    Free Member

how long does it take to inflate with a mini pump ?

colournoise

mattjg – Member
    My track pump only goes up to about 100psi – is that enough to make this work?

I can only get mine up to 110psi indicated, which was more than enough to inflate and seal a 2.3 650b tyre first go so I’d guess you’ll be OK.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d use the track pump or the mountain morph but I’ve stayed in places that are set up for bikes, most have a track pump, If I was driving it would be in there 100% with the track pump. Flying you can split this stuff between the group easily enough.

A useful thing that can be taken whats not to like.

greyspoke
    Free Member

A fattish 29er tyre volume a bit over 5 litres according to my shonky calculations. That Airshot can looks about a litre? So 100 psi, ignoring losses, would leave you with 16 psi in the whole thing, which doesn’t sound a lot.

My DIY job originally had 2x 1.5 litre bottles and I only pump up to 60 psi on account of the bottles allegedly exploding above 100. It was OK for some tyres but not for difficult ones, so I doubled up on the bottleage. Now the tyres pop on the rims just great and end up at 20+ psi.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A fattish 29er tyre volume a bit over 5 litres according to my shonky calculations. That Airshot can looks about a litre? So 100 psi, ignoring losses, would leave you with 16 psi in the whole thing, which doesn’t sound a lot.

Seen it seat a 2.4×29″ Maxxis just fine to a sensible pressure

http://www.webqc.org/boyle_gas_law.html
    Calcs to 20PSI but you get fast delivery to bead the rim, max pressure is 160 which will deliver you 32psi

greyspoke
    Free Member

If you can get 160 in it, that oought to handle anything. Not sure I could get 160 out of my track pump, not that I have anything I’d feel safe trying it on.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘First use of airshot product. Big thumbs up.’ is closed to new replies.