Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • First time in Hebden Bridge
  • dantsw13

Im heading up to Hebden Bridge for an “Alps Prep” skills course with Ed Oxley on friday. Ive never ridden up there before.

Now, seeing as it is an Alps Prep day, I was intending to use my slackened Heckler, as it is my Alps bike. The other option is my 140mm Titus FTMc.

Any ideas? Also is it a Full Muds, or Chunky Alps tyres conditions?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

use the bike you’re going to take to the alps.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m not sure what Ed takes you on for that course but I suspect it’ll be the steep stuff. I’d take your Alps bike – makes sense to take the same bike you’ll be taking to the Alps?

As for tyres, something that’ll stick to rocks. Lots of rocks… But good in loamy stuff. You won’t need muds…

funkrodent

Ask Ed?

dantsw13

I thought the Heckler would be fine – it climbs ok, but a bit wanders – I am expecting a down-oriented course!

Ive got an On-One Chunky Monkey/Smorgasboard combo on it at the moment, so that should do.

Cheers!!

Im going to be arriving early on thursday – any recommendations for a short ride on thursday evening?

brant
    Free Member

I might be playing out on Thursday evening.

mike399
    Free Member

Thursday night, you say???

dantsw13

Im leaving Heathrow at 1230, so should be in Hebden Bridge by 1630, so available to ride from 1800 realistically. Lights?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Still light at 8 at the moment. I’d offer to give you a bit of a tour but I’m planning on a quick session at Stainburn straight from work on Thursday…

dantsw13

Thanks everyone – hopefully catch a few of you on thursday night!! Anyone recommend a b&b? The one I emailed hasn’t responded.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The trails around Hebden are riding really well at the moment. Enjoy 😀

hora
    Free Member

Oooo wheres the course? Might pop up on Thurs pm. Not ridden in the evening during the week for ages.

marts500
    Free Member

Try not to speak in your own accent when you get up there as generally speaking they don’t take to southern nancies.

binners

hora – Member

Oooo wheres the course? Might pop up on Thurs pm. Not ridden in the evening during the week for ages.

I’m always inviting you to come night riding during the week. You just don’t love me any more

hora
    Free Member

If you looked like that I’d rugby-tackle you to the ground and have my sweet-way with you binners.

PS. I don’t have night lights so it’d have to finish at dusk if your inviting me binnertelli?

dantsw13

Its This course with Great Rock

I think its full though, as its showing availability of -1.

dantsw13

Marts500 – Its ok – Ive been to Leeds!!!!

mike399
    Free Member

So… who fancies a pootle out then on Thursday evening?

hora
    Free Member

Me. Ive no lights tho so will need to peel off before the Wolves are released.

dantsw13

Me, and I can bring extra lights 😀

mike399
    Free Member

No lights either, but it looks light enough now at 8:15. I’ll get the disclaimer out of the way now – I not the fastest!

hora
    Free Member

Pub after? Anyone want get a topic started?? As long as I get 1.5hrs riding in its worth the trip for me

dantsw13

Pub after sounds good – in fact I’ll probably be staying in a pub!! 1.5-2 hrs sounds perfect! I wont be going like a rocket either because:

a. Im not a racing snake
    b. I’ll have been driving all day
    c. Ive got a skills day on fri, so want to be vaguely fresh!!

I can probably manage 2 spare lights, so it means we wont have to bin it due to bad light.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Dantsw…I’m booked in on the same course, so I’ll see you Friday morning.

I’m riding my SX Trail. Reckon you should be fine in the Heckler.

Only downside is that the weather forecast looks a but poo.

dantsw13

It does a bit, but now BBC are saying light showers for Fri. See you in the pub car park!!

dale
    Free Member

I could do a thursday 6ish till 8 sounds like a couple of ups and a couple of downs

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m sure it’ll be reet!

I can’t wait, I think it’s going to be great whatever the weather does!

dantsw13

If one of you local chaps sets a place, we could call it a 6 o clock roll up this Thursday?

mike399
    Free Member

Okay doke – 6pm it is. Have you sorted where to stay?

dantsw13

No, emailed one B&B, Ed O offered help finding accom if required, I’m waiting to hear back from both. The whole thing was a bit last minute!! I was looking for a course in may/jun, but couldn’t make the dates, so jumped into this one instead.

I’m hoping to sort it all tomorrow.

dale
    Free Member

What about the stubbings wharf its got a good sized car park and well placed for riding ?

dantsw13

That’s the meeting place for my course on Friday, so works for me!

mike399
    Free Member

Great minds think almost alike… but more for the good beer than riding potential.

Anyone got any route suggestions?

I was thinking possibly a figure of eight? From stubbing, up Ragley, back to Heptonstall, down the blue pig, up though craggs, back to slack, down lumb bank/back of Eaves, and back down to the stubbing for beer o’clock?

dale
    Free Member

Could do heptonstall then pecket well with a few detours should take 2hrs at an easy pace

dantsw13

I am sitting in the sun fettling my bike with a huge grin on my face looking forward to this trip!! Please don’t break me before my day with Ed on friday 😆

Im taking my Heckler out for a shakedown ride with my local group tonight – complete overkill for my local trails with 160 Marzocchi Bombers on it!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Damn, I would have loved to join you on Thursday but I’ve got a parents’ eve at school to attend. I’m sure you’ll have fun. Hebden is great.

For what it’s worth, some of the pics on Ed’s site for that course look like they’re on Stanny’s (AKA Public Funpath) and maybe the lower half of Pecket Well, plus some “other stuff”

dantsw13

Cheers Ecky. I really want to come back in the summer with a load of my riding mates, so hopefully I’ll get a good feel for the place.

Can’t escape for a beer after parents evening? 😈

mike399
    Free Member

Bump – for if anyone else fancies it on Thursday…

Clover

Sounds great but unlikely I’ll have finished lamb duties by 6pm.

Any chance to do the Blue Pig should be taken though – whilst the road is closed it’s a great run down from Heptonstall without having to dodge the traffic between the two sections.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m going to try and get out for this now subject to approval from SWMBO.

6PM at the Stubbing Wharf then? I’d agree with something staying local to Heptonstall too. Maybe up Jack Bridge, down the zig zags (or Slack Tracks), back up to Heptonstall, Blue Pig (or Stannys) and maybe a push up one side of Peckett Well and down the other (good) side?

I’ll confirm later…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘First time in Hebden Bridge’ is closed to new replies.