Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • First song you learned to play on the geeetar!
  • mickasaki
    Free Member

Just got a acoustic guitar today for my birthday today! Thanks to the wife! What was the first thing you learnt to play properly? Are the chords really vital?

juan
    Free Member

*/hangs head in shame/*
    Come as you are nirvana….

stevomcd
    Free Member

Are the chords really vital?

Not totally sure what you mean here, but the chords are the important bit as far as the guitar goes! It's not a piano!

Widdly-widdly solos can come later, but it's pretty rare to play the melody line on the guitar.

Oh aye, Purple Haze I think….

rOcKeTdOg

"mary" by the subways
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpyZ_nWuNgg

C,G,Am and and F in there i think

julianwilson
    Free Member

Paradise City. But when I first started trying to play, it was a bit more like this:

flip
    Free Member

Chords are super important, i remember wasting months trying to learn ahem… Stairway to Heaven, when what i should have been doing is learning open chords.
    The chord changes make your hands work as they should, although it'll seem unfeasable at first, stick with it 😉 it took me a year before i could knock out a tune, but i was 40 😐

nickc

Hey joe. The slow version with gaps for the chord changes….

BoardinBob

Space Oddity by Bowie followed by Sunshine of Your Love by Cream. I think Hey Joe was number 3.

LabWormy

Go and visit Justin Guitars, do every thing he says and learn Wild Thing. The man is a teaching genius.

hels
    Free Member

Love Me Tender – Elvis (my dad taught me)

IanMunro
    Free Member

Morning has broken.
    I think I was about 4 and it was a little plastic thing with 3 strings.
    I had no problem with chords, just ad lib the tune a bit.
    Haven't played much since.

guitarhero
    Free Member

My teaching strategy is to start with a some really simple rock riffs, like smoke on the water, hells bells.
    The chords can be a bit demoralising at first when you strum the strings and it sounds pants.
    After several weeks of learning easier riffs, the chords are a doddle to pick up.
    Works for me.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I can't coordinate two hands at the same time on a musical instrument. That leaves very few for me to play, geeetarr was definitely one of my weakest areas 🙂 I can just about play the into to smoke on the water

muddy_bum
    Free Member

House of The Rising sun

Can I recommend "Fretboard Roadmaps" as a good book to learn chord stuff quickly.

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

Night prowler AC/DC

Nice and slow.

jimster
    Free Member

Paul Weller – Wild wood

followed by OCS – The Riverboat Song.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

It was so long ago I can't remember! The answer really depends on what you want to do with the guitar. Just a casual, lerning for pleasure type thing or grand plans to be a performer?

In general, my advice would be to learn the basic chords and practice changing between them. If you can find contemporary songs that you like, that are easy to play then this is better as it keeps you interested and gives you a sense of achievement. Something like smoke on the water is going to sound pretty gash without bar chords and bar chords are not really the first thing a beginner should be learning IMHO. Start with the basic open major chords (G, C, D, E, A), open minor chords (Em, Am, Dm etc) and see how quickly you get the hang of them. Don't neglect right hand technique either (oo err) and develop the ability to strum without a plectrum, strum with a plectrum and finger pick. As you progress you will then move up to bar chords and power chords but by then your technique will be at a point where you will be able to execute them better.
    Don't under estimate how sore your fingers will be initially as they get used to holding down strings and, as you are just beginning, work hard to make sure you don't fret the strings too heavily as it then becomes a difficult habit to break.

And enjoy it. It's a great instrument! 😆

GTDave
    Free Member

Joy Division – Isolation.

But then it was on bass, so was a piece of cake! 😆

iDave
    Free Member

something from a 3 chord songbook – the true answer is probably blowing in the wind…..

BigJohn

Bobby Shaftoe – from Bert Weedon's Play in a Day, Circa 1963.

Then "As Tears Go By" by Marianne Faithfull. I still struggle with that B flat.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Something like smoke on the water is going to sound pretty gash without bar chords

Tosh, smoke on the water intro is played on 2 strings and is one of the easiest things to play on a guitar

Start with the basic open major chords (G…..

G is probably the hardest open chord for a beginner to form, I can see the look of disillusionment on my students faces when they strum their first attempt at G.

user-removed
    Free Member

Me and Bobby McGhee was my first – country and western is a good place to start as three chords will get you a loooong way.

ratadog

Scarborough Fair, must get on to second tune soon.

mrben100
    Free Member

House of the rising Sun – the Stranglers, had a nice relativley easy chord progression.

Then every Oasis song………I say every, like status quo, once you've learned about 4/5 chords yo ucan play every one of their songs. (should you want to of course)

ourkidsam
    Free Member

7 Nation Army. 1 string genius me

mutley

battleship chains by the georgia satellites

whole song using only two fingers :O)

euanr
    Free Member

Say It Ain't So by Weezer

After years of bashing away at acoustic guitar I've just started out on Mandolin which is a lot of fun and probably helping with my guitar technique too.

judderman
    Free Member

'smoke on the water'- Deep Purple

now I feel really old 😳

whats a chord?

nickc

G is probably the hardest open chord for a beginner to form

Nah, it's F.

Trust me it's F

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

wonderwall – had to be learnt in less than a week (from having never played before) as I cleverly told some bird at college I played guitar (when I didn't). She responded with "me too – you should come round and we can play some tunes…"

Emergency internet guitar lessons ensued and resulted in a, er, result 😀

ratadog

It's definitely F

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i can play (the more common) chords not a prob, but for the life of me i can't figure out how to play something like wonderwall. where am i going wrong?

euanr
    Free Member

Nah F is a Barre chord init? No open strings.
    I would imagine G7 is tricky for beginners – bit of a stretch to that first fret on the top E string!

timdrayton
    Free Member

Oasis, live forever

next took 2 months and was country by Paul seller little finger twiddly bit and all sorts

FoxyChick
    Free Member

It's deffo F!!!!

timdrayton
    Free Member

Gav YouTube is your friend

mickasaki
    Free Member

looks like i'm in for some fun with this! or more likely a trip to the carboot sale to get rid of the bloody thing when i cant do it!

FoxyChick
    Free Member

mickasaki…you need to find yourself a teacher. I started when I was about 10, and learned a few basic chords. Stopped after a couple of years.
    I've just started having lessons again, and am loving it.

mickasaki
    Free Member

I was thinking that too! Its the first time i have even picked up a guitar, let alone play the thing! I just need to get over my phobia of paying someone to do things! i'll give it a couple of weeks and see how i get on. I was given a starter pack with a book, dvd etc aswell, so we'll see! I dont have any aspirations to be a rockgod (cant be good at everything :lol:) I would just like to play a bit as it looks quite relaxing when you know how.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

cheers timdrayton, can't believe i never looked there. just had a quick search for 'man who sold the world' and i see what you mean – bl@@dy F chord though!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘First song you learned to play on the geeetar!’ is closed to new replies.