Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • first solo night ride…
  • sefton
    Free Member

Did my first solo night ride tonight.

Exposure maxx 1200L (Plenty light, very well made & nice simple design).

anyway the thing I noticed most was how few distractions there were. I couldn’t see my bike so I wasn’t questioning if my bars could be wider, I would be better on a full susser or faster rolling tyres would be an advantage etc etc. It was just me, my fitness & what little skill I have.

quite refreshing TBH!

benji_allen
    Free Member

I’d be too busy looking out for werewolves and monsters to be worrying about my bike.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Stop, look around you then turn your lights off for as long as you dare… then freak yourself out and PEDAL FOR YOUR LIFE!

CheesybeanZ

anyway the thing I noticed most was how few distractions there were

rabbits running at your front wheel
    badgers running at your bike
    deer jumping accross the trail
    badgers running into your bike
    deer running beside you
    did i mention chuffin badgers 👿

gordimhor

Its great isn’t it only been night riding a year myself i am beginning to develop a liking for riding with just enough light total concentration on what you CAN SEE and feel

keyses2

All my night riding is solo and i’ve taken to switching lights off and riding by moonlight on clear nights ! It’s fun 🙂

mrlebowski
    Free Member

What is it with badgers & night riding??? Little bloody stripey maniacs – what do they think they are zebras?..

takisawa2

I started night riding in 1992. Big set of Ever Ready’s that weighed more than a bus. Slow & steady was the general approach. Folk thought (still think) I’m mad. Ditto the turning off lights if ambient light & trail conditions permit. Its great how your senses adjust.

MrSparkle

Congrats Craig! Maybe you can get out with us one Tues or Wed night sometime, eh.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Nearly all of my night rides are solo.

Being alone, in the dark, mountain bike riding, feels exciting, if a little mad and stupid at times also.

Like driving fast in an old sports car with no air bags and no seat belt on. Thrilling, even though its not actually that quick.

deep_river
    Free Member

As i was told when i started nightriding.

Just remember that theres nothing there at night that isnt there during the day. Its just at night its awake and hungry!

dawson

the other one to watch out for is the low hanging branch that just scrapes on your coat… Not at all like a hand trying to grasp for your shoulder as you ride past, not at all, no Sireee…!! 😉

Night Riding is ace!

rob2
    Free Member

Remember to look out for the dogging sites! 😉

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

I always have to keep on the move on night rides because of the heightened bogeyman threat in the dark.

martymac

night riding rocks,
    dont need that much light, your eyes adjust.
    the sense of speed is tremendous.

Jeffus
    Free Member

the sheep cough on my night ride route, they sound almost human in the dark, 😀 lots of eyes looking at you..

racefaceec90

nice one.i usually ride on the ridgeway (avebury/marlborough)at night/though admittedly not that often (haven’t ridden at night for at least 5-6 months).it definitely feels eerie (with only a hope vision 2 light.) but life affirming at the same time (as long as it isn’t tipping down with rain,not much fun on chalk) 🙂

busydog
    Free Member

Maybe they are sheep coughing and sheep eyes—-maybe they aren’t—!!!!
    I used to ride solo at night in the mountains—can really get spooky and riding with lights off is challenging and can cleanse your entire body of adrenalin instantly if something moves near you in the dark or a sudden, unidentified sound comes out of the dark.

epicyclo

Night riding is more fun if you watch Dog Soldiers first.

enfht
    Free Member

I recently got lost on a snowy solo night ride in the woods, I had to walk in straight lines to work out where I was as all my normal visual markers were missing. Best ride in ages 😀 It’s hard to explain how much fun’s to be had on night rides, most people think you’re truly mental which is fine by me!

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Looked up once at a fox starring back at me big bright blue eyes like sapphires!
    Ducked under a low branch only to have my helmet mounted light ripped off my helemt. Landed much further away fro me than I expeccted. Note to self carry small spare back up light!
    Also had the small branch blown onto my shoulder while stationary solo nite riding! Spooky!
    Overall great fun, love it.

nuke

Just remember that theres nothing there at night that isnt there during the day. Its just at night its awake and hungry!

😆

Did my first solo night ride this week. It was the few incidents were the light would reflect in eyes staring at you that got me. Mostly deer and foxes but one incident I couldn’t figure out what it was…yellow and quite far apart…that was a tad unnerving.

_tom_
    Free Member

I like road night riding, never done a proper off-road night ride. I imagine it would be fun though.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I love solo night rides through the Hyddgen valley. 8 miles or so from the nearest proper road and the site of two battles. Mountains on either side of you, you’re very unlikely to meet someone over there in daylight even in the height of summer … so at night, in winter you’ll have it to yourself, having said that, it oddly never feels like you’re alone 😉 You also get to ride past the ‘Hill of graves’ as it translates from Welsh!

br
    Free Member

Out tonight – if anyone sees two out in the North Chilterns/Ashridge it could be us.

swallow
    Free Member

I did a night ride a while back and in the middle of nowhere went past some guy just walking along and talking on his mobile, no torch or anything – got past him quite quick, must have been a nutter

sefton
    Free Member

mr Sparkle, do I know you sir?

sefton
    Free Member

mr Sparkle, do I know you sir?

MrSparkle

Sefton, I hope so. You are supposed to be coming riding with me tomorrow!
    Mr Sparkle aka fishbulb

juiced
    Free Member

aren’t they great.

sefton
    Free Member

Hi Fishbulb!

sorry mate can’t do tomorrow morning (some things come up) might be able to do the afternoon. but think its heavy rain at 3.00.

have a good un mate.

let me know when your next out (even at night)!

MrSparkle

Doh. Right will drop you a line. We are out most Tues or Wed nights.

Tinners

All of my rides are solo too. Spokelight on the bars and a Diablo on the helmet – does the job for me. I still feel uneasy every time, though – thousands of years of evolution telling you that you’re in an unsafe environment. I actually miss seeing the scenery around me and I don’t really like riding into a tunnel of light when I’m in dense woodland. It’s much better by moonlight on open moorland. The worst bit for me is a 100 yard steep section where I have to get off and push uphill (Tynycoed woods, if anyone knows it). It’s eerie enough during the day (a very strange feeling that somebody’s hovering over your shoulder) but at night I feel a compelling urge to shout out and swear loudly. One crack of a twig nearby and I’d drop the bike and swing a few punches into the air…..(nothing like a nice relaxing ride after work, eh?)
    On the way back down, I have an owl who always follows me (or at least seems to, because the “tyrwit-tyrwoo” seems to follow me). Sometimes I get a pair of eyes shining back at “big dog” height.

dans160
    Free Member

My first few were a tad interesting what with getting freaked out, lights failing etc. But of late they have been brilliant. Although the afore mentioned Dog Soldiers was probably not the best film to start discussing this week with my riding buddy in the woods as the mist came while we to walked back as my mech had lunched itself. Ah well.

I agree about that badgers. Stripy loons!

dans160
    Free Member

One time (at band camp – sorry) we just finished a really good downhill section at the end of the ride. As you look back at the hill you ride down there is a wide path off to the right that you can see through the trees. Our head torches picked out some eyes staring at us. They would have been about 50 to 70 yards away maybe. They eyes started to move down the path with a sort of lollop or head bob. We both agreed that they were not a badger or deer and too far off of the ground to be a fox plus the movement of the ‘shape’ was not right to be dog related. The eyes then started to move towards us through the woods. It’s amazing how quick you can cover the ground when you really need to.

Any other close encounters?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘first solo night ride…’ is closed to new replies.