• This topic has 30 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by devs.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • First night ride of the year…
  • andywarner
    Free Member

…and I’d forgotten how much fun it is!! Especially with some new lights on as well. Mint!!

fadda

I’m waiting for my new lights to arrive. Can’t wait!

andywarner
    Free Member

[img]http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?fbid=455402735752&set=a.455402400752.229311.670005752&pid=5843246&id=670005752[/img]

I got mine a few weeks ago but only just had chance to use them in the dark.

angryratio
    Free Member

My first was last tuesday…

Took a quick snap with my crappy mobile.
    It’s blurry but i’m pretending it was intentional 😛 More than anything i think the areas illuminated look cool. Can see my mates ahead of me.

binners

Broke my cherry for this year last Thursday. Great fun! Particularly the last descent where my lights packed up. Oops!!!

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Got out with my new light last weds round the monkey trail 😯

…..forget how much fun it can be!

BadlyWiredDog

Didn’t this year start in January? Have you guys really not been out on a night ride at all in 2010? Blimey.

angryratio
    Free Member

well yes mr dog.. but i don’t class staggering home from a pub with a bike attached to me as a night ride.

juiced
    Free Member

went out last week. loved it. set off whilst sunny and rode and returned in the dark 😆 just got in from an urban ride, so not a proper nightride = something so special about riding in the dark.

andywarner
    Free Member

sorry BWD – should have said “season”. well done on your observation though! 😮

Hohum
    Free Member

I have done a few this season so far, but I must admit to being a bit spooked at times when riding trails I know really well.

Also, there is one trail I rode regularly in the light season that I would not want to ride on my own in the dark season as there are some big drops on one side and it will be very dark where they are.

Maybe I should wait until the leaves are off the trees and there is a full moon to give me a bit more confidence to tackle it.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Been night riding every week for a month or two now – much fun to be had.

andywarner
    Free Member

it’s a totally different kettle of fish in the dark even with a good set of lights. I’m permanently on edge and having to force the rational side of my brain to take control. Even a rabbit running across the trail is enough to make me jump. It’s also best not to look back i find cos you can’t see what’s there!

DezB
    Free Member

I still use a Hope Vision 2. Is this considered night riding these days, or do you have to light up the trails like it’s daytime?

Jamie
    Free Member

Ohh….look what the postie brought this morning:

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Jamie – what are the glowy, LED display bits? Your own kit?

rewski
    Free Member

Such fun, so far I’ve freaked out three pheasants, two deer too many squirrels and rabbits to mention, and I think a badger, all of them looked at me as if to say what the **** are you doing here?

Jamie
    Free Member

Nah Mat, they are the 0.8″ lcd displays that come as standard on the new MagicShine batteries that give voltage and battery level. How accurate they are is to be determined, but so far cannot grumble for £56 8)

Seen betterer here:

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Jamie – that’s quite handy if fairly accurate.

I just plug mine in for a few hours until the red LED goes green! Bit cruder but I guess it works.

The light unit on those Magicshines actually looks better quality than I expected too.

Agree about night riding “spooky” creatures – I’ve actually stunned a couple of rabbits with my 601 on full beam – very nearly ran both over!

Jamie
    Free Member

The light unit on those Magicshines actually looks better quality than I expected too.

The light head is the same as this one.

Hohum
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member

Agree about night riding “spooky” creatures – I’ve actually stunned a couple of rabbits with my 601 on full beam – very nearly ran both over!

Spooking teenagers with your lights on full is quite fun as well!

timothius
    Free Member

I’ve been night riding recently which is great fun. I’ve found that I get eye ache after 30 mins or so – really annoying!

rkk01
    Free Member

Lights have been on for the last few commutes – mainly am before it gets light, but also for the evening commute, under the trees and at the end of the ride home.

Clocks will go back soon, that will up the demands on batteries and charger…

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Jamie – I wouldn’t get too excited about the magicshines, I got one charge out of them before the battery died (same as yours). Going to try and send them back, but I dismantled the battery to check if there was a fuse inside (there isn’t) and I can’t get it back together.

hillsplease

We failed to night ride last night on the way back from a train supported Edale outing, as we were too speedy. Probably for the first and last time.

Had to go to the pub to recover from the disappointment.

Jamie
    Free Member

thesurfbus:
    Jamie – I wouldn’t get too excited about the magicshines, I got one charge out of them before the battery died (same as yours). Going to try and send them back, but I dismantled the battery to check if there was a fuse inside (there isn’t) and I can’t get it back together.

Well, I will just cross my fingers and hope you got a duffer. Does not seem to be anyone having issues on DX forums.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Jamie – nothing like that sort of post to put a downer on a new purchase!

A bit unnecessary IMO. I’m sure yours will be fine. And are there really DX forums?!!!!

andywarner
    Free Member

DezB – I still used a Hope Vision 2 until I got my new ones a few weeks ago. It was ok but nowhere near as much fun as when the trail in front of you is really well lit up.

philconsequence
    Free Member

planning a midnight ride once the liberator mk3 arrives… fingers crossed the woods will be completely empty apart from my riding buddy and I (and all the midnight beasts that lurk in the shadows….)

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

Still using a vision 2 here too Dez, too poor to buy anything else! might save my pennies for one of them shiny new exposure jobbies, the one that melts your retinas…

devs
    Free Member

Been at it since August. Coupled with the dry high pressure weather we’ve had for donkeys it just pure magic at the moment. The only downer has been getting proper lacerated by brambles which I didn’t see till too late. I look like an emo!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘First night ride of the year…’ is closed to new replies.