Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • First MTB purchase – opinions, please!
  • Timmy2wheels
    Free Member

First time mtb purchase approaching and I want some help and advice. I don’t have any grand plans – definitely not racing – just a bit of rolling about on the downs/peaks etc, but decent day-long rides and possibly weekends. Budget is £600 and this is what I’ve narrowed down to:
    1. Ex-hire Genesis IO ID (alfine hub one)
    2. Brand new Haro Mary XC 29er
    3. 2nd hand Orange Crush
    4. 2nd hand Genesis Core 40/50 (seen both going for budget or less)

Open to other suggestions/offers! Cheers.

rOcKeTdOg

can you get a test ride on any of them, correct fit goes a long way to getting the perfect bike

MikeWW
    Free Member

I’d get one of these Boardman

Timmy2wheels
    Free Member

Probably not – time and location both barriers. I’m 5’9″, about 80kgs so think I’m looking at a 17-18″ frame.

anotherstan
    Free Member

merlin malt?

good starter bike for £600, and well worth upgrading as time goes by.

scotabroad

Core 50 definitely!

I have had one from new and if you can get it for that price I would snap it up. You will not be dissappointed with it.

Saccades
    Free Member

The alfine hub is great (i have 2 bikes with them fitted), but it’s more of a plod along tbh. great if your not hot on the tech side of stuff (which is why i have 2) as they last 2 years so far with no maintenance but you’ll struggle in a race.

Timmy2wheels
    Free Member

I’m edging towards a steel frame – any recommendations for a steel hardtail?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

+1 for the melin malt, good customer service too. Great help if your new. You say your 5’9 so I think you got the frame size right but ideally you will want to check inside leg to get the stanover right.

bol

A used Genesis Altitude would be a good steel option. Well specked for the money. The obvious choice would be some kind of On-One, but as most of them tend to be self builds, you might need a bit of help establishing whether the bike you have in mind is good value or not.

br
    Free Member

tbh If you buy s/h you may find that by the time you’ve replaced worn-out stuff, it’d be cheaper to buy new.

Plus, not sure about your LBS(‘s), but mine has 0% finance on at the moment. The Voodoos in Halfords look good value too.

Although I was reading a mag the other day and was quite surprised at the entry point of a ‘decent’ bike – discs and RS forks.

vdubber67
    Free Member

+1 for the Malt. Excellent frame to build on in future. Either that or a s/h On One Inbred full build?

Mintman
    Free Member

I’m edging towards a steel frame – any recommendations for a steel hardtail?

On-one 456? Not expensive leaving you around £450 to spend on nice bits?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘First MTB purchase – opinions, please!’ is closed to new replies.