Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • first motorcycle advice? any sv650 owners?
  • rp16v
    Free Member

doing my d/a mod 1 test tomorrow and unfortunatley i have had something come up that has had to reduce my bike budget to around the 1.5-2k mark
    sv seems to be topping the stakes at the moment as being smaller bike than a bandit will work in my favour(im only 5’8)
    is there tell tale problems/issues to look out for?
    thanks.

Sparky77
    Free Member

SV’s a great bike, I’ve had one till recently and a friend still has one. Brilliant little bikes, still have a massive amount of fun on normal roads without going at speeds that will loose your licence!!

Just go for one that hasn’t been in the mini twin series 😉 I did have some starting problems with mine, but a new battery solved that.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Had one as my first bike and loved it, they’re an excellent bike full stop, not just for beginners. If I were to do it again, I’d probably have gone for a naked, not the S as the weight on my wrists, and how to deal with it took a bit of getting used to when I’d have been better using all my concentration learning how to ride properly.

Great forum and resource here: http://www.sv650.org

professor_fate
    Free Member

Had a naked sv (carb one) after a run of 1000/1100/1200 machines. You notice the power deficit 2-up but it made me re-appraise why i rode big bikes. An sv is awesome – 125mph/50+mpg/cheap ins and heaps around to choose from… what’s not to like? If i didn’t need a car to lug my bike(s) around i’d have another sv, no question! Enjoy…

Northwind

They’re brilliant… Not great cosmetic build quality to be fair, and the suspension’s pretty basic, though that’s par for the course in this sort of machine.

But they’re fun to ride, cheap to crash, easy to improve if you feel like it, cheap to buy, phenomenally difficult to kill. Oh and they sound good! And as mentioned up page, have a brilliant UK forum SV6650.org, and a brilliant US form Svrider.com.

Same is all true of Hornets, mind… Except for the sounding good bit, they sound like a bee in a paint can.

Possibly I’m biased.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I got one – its great.

A bit more power to it than the 500’s you learned on, and despite it’s budget suspension, which is it’s biggest shortcoming, on fresh tyres you can fair sling it around if your feeling brave. It is easy to ride being a twin, as it has lots of torque, so you don’t need to be buzzing it like a sewing machine to have some “go” under the right wrist, it’ll pull on a wide open throttle from 3-4k. Therefore you don’t have so many tap dances on the gears, and you can just get on and concentrate on everything else happening around you.

Of course, if your not feeling brave, it’s also light at 169k, so 50k or so less than a fat inline 4 like a bandit, low seat at iro 780cm, so easy for the ladies and learners – I am only 5’6 and on the balls of my feet at stationary. Easy therefore to wheel/paddle in and out of car park stops, and ok on economy – I get depending on the type of commuting (30mph up A23 into Croydon lower end, Motor way to Lowestoft highend of 150-190, out of typically 15l of fuel on a 16l tank, with the low fuel warning iro 30m earlier.

To be perfectly honest, I see nothing really that I fancy to replace it – it’s just perfect for me. I could do with something a tiny bit faster, but then you get into weight, and height issues. The SV is a fab all round compromise, and unlike an old Monster 750, mine starts even in winter!

rp16v
    Free Member

Sorry for late reply iv not been able to get to a computer managed to get my mod1 done after failing on a silly foot dab the first time round
    will be going for a naked or 1/2 fared as i like the comfort of risers as aposed to clipons and less to damadge when it gets droped…and it will lol
    thanks for the advice so far guys.

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

I had one in California, loved it. It was also my first bike. California is pretty laxed in regards to getting a bike license. I had NEVER ridden a motorbike at all, went to the DVLA, took a $25 test, got 22 out of 25 and passed. Once you pass you can throw your leg over ANY bike, any size cc. The only restriction is that you can’t ride at night or on highways until you pass the practical.

I sold the SV to a vertically challenged young lady, prob around 5’4. She had a special seat made, or rather shaved down, and she could touch the ground OK. I liked the SV as there were loads of little mods you could put on yourself. I stuck on a new rear carbon can, rear fender eliminator and took the rear seat off. Loved that bike !! [Oh and the can is a Delkevic Slip-on with a Yoshi name plate ! ;o) ]

failedengineer

Another vote for an SV as a first big bike. I got one about 12 years ago when I got back into biking after 20 years or so layoff. I’d agree with everything that’s been said. The fittings are a bit low rent, but as long as you keep them clean and use something like ACF50 to protect them, they’re fine. Handling’s good up to a point and then the suspension starts to feel a little shaky, but that’s fairly cheaply sorted with better fork springs (rear shocks are a bit more expensive though). They sound fantastic with a fruity can as well …

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not great cosmetic build quality to be fair,

I think that’s all the bad points there, cheap finish. My cousin’s got one, totally rates it, I’ve ridden it, and it’s a bit small for me (6’2″). i found it a bit wanting in the power department, but I am quite large, not particularly streamlined and normally ride a 1000cc twin. But assuming planting yourself face first into a tree isn’t top of your list of priorities, i’d find the sv a difficult bike to seriously fault

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I have one and it is my first motorbike which I have had for 4 years so nowt to compare it against. I am 5ft 4″ haven’t had to alter the seat and I have the SV650S ..fully faired like a giant bumblebee. It goes up to 130mph maybe more and is easy to ride. Mine is a 2002 model which is immaculate not a scratch or dink on it and at 10,000 miles! As mentioned it is ‘light’ for a bike. I toppled it in the garage and could hold it, coolant pull it up due to being wedged but light enough I could gently take it to floor without damaging it. Fully comp insurance is £80 tax £30 love it. Only think holding it back is my ability to ride!!!

rickmeister

I have a Hayabusa for sale if your interested…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Our trip to Yorkshire a few years back after Mr MC suggested it then said “OOOO I forgot my R1 doesn’t take any luggage”

geordiemick00
    Free Member

never owned one as I went straight on to a 1200cc Buell the day after doing my DAS test and to be honest I’d say if you can get anything bigger in your budget buy it, they only go as fast as you pull the trigger and anyone who will do half decent mileage will soon find the limitations of any ‘entry bike’ and will soon want more poke.

That said I’ve never heard a bad word about them but the ER6 is also a good buy too and worth a look

gsp1984
    Free Member

I had one as my first bike, you seriously can’t go wrong for the money.

Great handling, good engine with enough power, cheap to fix.

Northwind

geordiemick00 – Member

anyone who will do half decent mileage will soon find the limitations of any ‘entry bike’ and will soon want more poke.

Yeah, I only put 55000 miles on mine 😆

rp16v
    Free Member

thought id better update this after so many of u gave your views
    well i ended up with a 2000 cuuuuurvy sv650 with clip ons and its alot more comfortable than i was worried about really douse handle lovley & sounds stunning with the carbon cans co (not so) silencer,my commute has so many twists and turns i never get enough run off for top end any way so that was never an issue.
    so here she is 😀

and little one wanted in on it aswell

tomaso
    Free Member

I had one and it was great. Suspension is only real let down, but is easily improved. Engine is a peach and they cost buttons to run. Oh and they do sound like a proper motorbike :mrgreen:

gt900uk
    Free Member

Good bike you won’t go far wrong with one as a first bigger bike.

cheez0
    Free Member

my bandits got a lowering kit on it, cheap as chips and i’m a short arse

works fine and i love it

1250 btw. bruuuuumm bruuuummmm!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘first motorcycle advice? any sv650 owners?’ is closed to new replies.