Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • First Guitar Recommendations
  • simon67
    Free Member

I have decided to take acoustic guitar lessons and wonder if anyone has some recommendations for a decent beginners guitar.

I know nothing!

Cheers

Simon

Edukator
    Free Member

Something easy to play with a light action. That means strings not to high above the fretboard. I’ll suggest what I have obviously: a Martin/Sigma to suit your budget.

plumber
    Free Member

c’mon Emsz we’re waiting

tpbiker
    Free Member

Budget guitars I’ve played from fender/Yamaha/Washburn have all been fine. Agree with Edukator. Needs to be something with a light action, so much easier to learn on.

emsz
    Free Member

nah, I’ll just get flamed.

Do a search

CountZero

Sigma (Martin) here. Martin guitars tend to have a lighter action to Gibson and Epiphone. Once I would have suggested Seagull guitars, a Canadian make. A friend’s daughter bought one for £100, with a one-piece top, years ago, but you won’t find one for that price now. There are some good £100-150 starter guitars around, it’s worth doing a google, and find some guitar fora for user recommendations. A guitar is a very personal thing, subtle differences in neck width, camber, fret height, string height/action, can all make an otherwise lovely instrument almost unplayable for a beginner, although a lighter set of strings will make a big difference to a heavy action, if its hard work to fret near the nut, causing fret buzz, and difficulty doing barr chords then it’ll be no fun learning.
    Edit] there’s some nice guitars reviewed here: http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/guitars/10-best-acoustic-guitars-under-300-217607/1
    All under £300, you can’t go wrong with a Yamaha or a Taylor, Yamaha’s have been the mainstay of the folk circuit for donks, and Taylor guitars are played by some of the world’s best singer/songwriters.
    http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/category/guitars/acoustic-guitars
    Edit] http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/7961-yamaha-f310-acoustic-guitar-natural.html
    I really don’t think you’ll beat this little beauty, a Yamaha for under ton!

MrNutt
    Free Member

buy a second hand takamine or a deeply unfashionable but playable ovation

CountZero

buy a second hand takamine…

I wouldn’t argue with that, I’ve probably seen more Takamine guitars played on stage than pretty much any other make; pretty tough, good sounding instrument.

themilo
    Free Member

Yamaha f310 here also. Seemed very well thought of online which helped my choice. Numb fingers so far but nicer than anything I’ve ever played before. Which is very little tbh.

mooman
    Free Member

I got a Simon & Patrick folk size guitar to learn on.
    The smaller size is much easier to position whilst on the sofa.
    Great sounding too – well, when my son plays it anyways ..

Neil-F
    Free Member

I bought my lad a Lindo:
    http://www.lindoltd.com/42CBK
    I got it for £45 from their Ebay shop, it was that good I got myself one too. 😀

speed12
    Free Member

All about Yamahas for a first one – not much can beat an FG series IMO.

simon67
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. Have just ordered a Yamaha FG700S – fingers crossed!

leffeboy

Great choice and a very sensible amount of money to spend on a first guitar. Too little and you get something really crap that will be difficult to play and put you off but that really shouldn’t. Don’t be afraid to fiddle around with the truss rod if the action ends up to high or low and is either difficult to play or ‘buzzy’. It’s all good fun

Albanach
    Free Member

I’ve got a Yamaha FG730S and love it. The sound out of it is class for the money, you will not regret it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘First Guitar Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.