Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Cracking the 20mph average barrier….
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

+1 for gym work. I got out on my bike very little last winter, but i did semi-regular lifting. I kept the same pace despite not riding very much. Stiff legged deadlifts are my favourite and work your hamstrings hard.

All that said, i average about 15mph on my bike…

What are you on about?

Just ride your bike more.

pingu66
    Free Member

Struggle on a mountain bike but piece of p155 on a road bike!

jono1982
    Free Member

Just put a larger wheel circumfrence in your bike computer, you’ll hit 20 no probs..

Average speed pretty meaningless as a measure against the masses, too many variables!
    But to get faster, ride with faster people.. nothing like giving your old redline a nudge upwards, when chasing down an attack!

andypaul99
    Free Member

Interval sessions will help, i found increasing cadence also helped with sustained speed efforts – but BY FAR the best way to increase speed is to get out on a club ride, you will find that the quick guys will average 20+ without too much haste and although initially it will be painful you will get there in superquick time (no pun intended)

MrSmith
    Free Member

Chris Boardman – 45.57 on 29th May 1993 – Course: H25/13 Average Speed = 32.644mph

25mile time trial. that’s nuts i can’t really get my head round that, i know what it’s like to sit in a group at 22mph and even go solo for 24mph for a short period of time but those kind of times are beyond comprehension.

lightman
    Free Member

Chris Boardman – 45.57 on 29th May 1993 – Course: H25/13 Average Speed = 32.644mph

25mile time trial. that’s nuts i can’t really get my head round that, i know what it’s like to sit in a group at 22mph and even go solo for 24mph for a short period of time but those kind of times are beyond comprehension.

Bare in mind, while top TT’ers are very fast, those times are usually done on stupidly dangerous roads with very heavy traffic (H23/13 was shut down for being to dangerous!), it was also a 2 mile downhill start!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member

Hardly worth comparing with one of the best time trial bike riders ever..

Anyone who can average in the 20 for an e tended period is a fast rider. Our intermediate group in the club averages about 18-20, the fast group is 20+.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

radoggair – Member

for reference, if your doing 17-18mph for 60 miles ( which in road terms isn’t alot) then your pretty far off a good rider

😥

That’s it. I’m taking up gardening.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s hard, solo. I managed 33.6kph on my commute in Germany which was 18 miles. I had about a mile of suburban with a couple of junctions, then miles of flat with one small ish hill at the end. I was zipping along at 38kph on the flat to get that average.

Try 3 sets of 6 or 8x30s max sprints with 30s rest and 5 mins between sets. That’ll get you quicker, and teach you about pain 🙂

Oh and dismiss those talking about club rides being fast. They are, but 20+mph in a group is a totally different ball game to doing it solo! That reminds me, I must test myself sometime. I may try a 25 miler, although I am not sure about a course that will flatter.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

To be fair though, average speeds dont mean much on there own.

Your routes look pretty flat really so a 20mph average should be achievable.

Have a go at the Fred Whitton challenge, even Radoggair or anyone cant average 20mph on that!

My riding time last year was about 6 hours 50mins, absolutely shit average. Fair enough, the weather was poor and I didnt ride it so hard that I collapsed at the end. But I bet I couldnt have gone more than 10 minutes quicker.

Eeking out a couple of extra miles per hour will take serious training I’d imagine. I dont do that, I tend to just ride my bike. I havent got any faster in years. But then I dont race either.

anagallis_arvensis

Join a club and ride with people faster than you. It’ll get you out of your comfort zone. Also your legs will get used to ticking over faster and this will translate to solo rides. Do a few club ten mile tt’s you’ll easily crack 20 mph.

Vortexracing

Funny enough 20MPH is also my target for my commute this year, only managed it once, averaged 20.1MPH on a 20mile commute.

HR was well up in the Z3 and above at times, since then though seem to have dropped to below 19MPH for some reason. 🙁

I must admit the weather and conditions affect my times significantly.

Quite good info from dirtygirlonabike, about training in different zones depending how much you ride.

I may look more into that.

oldgit
    Free Member

Get in a club, you won’t need to join right away.
    Our fast group does between 19 and 23 mph average. Weather and issues have a massive impact.
    I also lead 100km rides for people wanting to do a sporting 100km for the first time. They end up being about 18mph +
    I do very little training and join both rides.

I’m a 52 year old vet racer. My flat crits are about 25mph + over an hour and five laps.
    My last 25 mile TT was a long 57 without tri-bars.

But my solo rides are usually 100km/62 miles at 18mph +. I always sit up on descents rather than use them to up my average as they have no value.

You need to get in a group and do some turns.

Kryton57

Thanks for the suggestions. Something I haven’t mentioned is a time limit – where about have our second kid….

But anyway, I’ll roll out my KettleBells and weights for the winter, it fairly easy to squeeze in a 45 minutes workout with a new baby.

I’ll next ride on Saturday morning, so I’m going to really try to max it. I’m usually riding out to Essex / Herts from North London so plenty of lights to negotiate but the 25m short ride I posted earlier only has two sets of lights and one difficult give-way on it. My times are record on a Garmin 500 with Auto-pause on.

Regarding clubs, with one 3.5yr old and 1 o the way very very soon, its hard to commit to a regular Sunday ride that means I’m away most of the useable day. Usually I ride early Sat morning to leave the rest of the day available for the family.

druidh
    Free Member

🙄 I doubt everyone else would be using autopause to work out their average speed.

Kryton57

What, they ^^ are all clocking 18, 19 & 20mph averages including waiting at lights and junctions? C’mon, really?

oldgit
    Free Member

What, they ^^ are all clocking 18, 19 & 20mph averages including waiting at lights and junctions? C’mon, really?

Yep. Benefits of living in the countryside.

Kryton57

Yep. Benefits of living in the countryside.

There you go. I have to stop every five minutes. Perhaps if I didn’t….

Anyone fancy inviting me for a ride in the county? 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Possibly.
    I’m in Leighton Buzzard, a mate often comes up from NW9.
    Another from StAlbans
    Sometimes I ride with some Ilford Crest guys.

We have cross commitments now, so the fast group will be on the lean side.

Where do you live?

glenh
    Free Member

The countryside is generally free to access, although you may find more hills 🙂

Kryton57

oldgit – Member

Where do you live?

Enfield, north, near the m25 so not far from you. I have some longer routes which venture to Hertford, or Chelmsford via the various villages.

crazy-legs

for reference, if your doing 17-18mph for 60 miles ( which in road terms isn’t alot) then your pretty far off a good rider

I’d disagree. 17-18mph on your own on an average 60 mile road ride is pretty decent, it’s about what I’d average. Surprisingly, it’s remained reasonably consistent even from the days when I was racing 1st Cat (10 years ago) to now when I only do occasional races (mostly crits) just for fun, I’ll still turn out rides of anywhere between 16.5 and 19mph (depending on terrain/weather).

I can still sit in a crit race and average 28mph for an hour.

Average speed is often pretty meaningless anyway. Variation in terrain, weather, road/traffic conditions, computer settings (does it auto-pause or not) can add up to massive differences and riding in a good group can easily add up to 5mph to the speed that you’d do alone.

oldgit
    Free Member

Sometimes I go back to NW9. As a kid I used to train through Barnet and out into the Herts/Essex borders. My route memory might be a bit rusty though,

crosshair
    Free Member

I love these average speed threads. I know its a flawed measurement but it’s been invaluable for me to monitor my training since I got back into cycling 6 weeks ago.
    I’ve got two there-and-back 20 mile routes that I use, one hilly and one with a big climb at the beginning before becoming pretty flat. I’m training on my old GT mtb on 1.95 mud tyres because thats all I’ve got 😉
    My first ever time out on the flatter route, I averaged 12.5mph. Now, i’m disappointed if I dip below a 16mph average.
    Used within it’s limitations, average speed is a great tool for a noobie to push themselves harder. The other night for example, there was a stiff headwind for the return leg. When I reached the halfway point, my average was just shy of 18 so I knew I was going to face difficulties on the way back 😉 Sure enough, it was torture and soon my average was back to 15.8. Then, it was just a case of wringing every last ounce of strength out of myself to stay above 16. The final downhill added a bit more and I was relieved to get home with a 16.3.
    Its not for everyone and only a fair comparison with someone riding solo two minutes behind or in front of you but chasing up that average is what is dragging my sorry butt out on a regular basis now the event I trained for has passed.
    I’m wondering if I can hit 20mph average over 20miles on my mtb???

nick1962
    Free Member

Ride 2

radoggair

Where did you go 200 feet below sea level in Scotland 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

The countryside is generally free to access

Except for Wales. £6 to get in now.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My commute when I was 17 was 15 miles each way with a few small hills at the start and then the last half was floodplain.

Over a summer, doing the same ride every morning/evening and my only concept of training was to try and sit 0.1mph higher than yesterdays average every day (so usually that meant blowing up, especially with he hilly first half, so the average crept up slower than 0.1/day).

That was on 36spoke OEM wheels and cheep tyres, none of this aero malarkey!

Over a summer I went from 16.5mph to 22mph.

So either simply flogging yourself twice a day every day and eating every carb you can get your hands on is an effective training regime. Or adding significant chunks to your average speed is attainable over a ‘season’.

These days I’m lucky to average anywhere near that so this winter I’ve promised myself that I’m going to bin all the expensive electrikery*, supplements and training plans and go back to flogging my guts out on the commute and a couple of group rides (there’s nothing more motivating than making people you used to be slower than really suffer on a climb, or just dropping them entirely). Just the bike, 1 hour each way (a 1 mile circuit near each end to keep the time consistent) and a simple computer.

*cheap GPS logger will stay though as it’s a) cheap, b)easier than a training diary

Kryton57

Hmmm, perhaps I’ll going to try the group I rode with once before, perhaps they won’t mind if I can’t turn up every week…..

TiRed

Autopause… never used it. Our club medium average was 19 mph last night over 20 miles of suburban mix. Stopped at a lot of lights on the A316 and home stretch. That was on my fixed wheel.

Join a club.

brakes
    Free Member

get a turbo trainer?

Edric64
    Free Member

For timetriallists the goal is to break the hour for 25 miles or at least break 24 minutes for 10 miles .I missed it by 2 seconds on Saturday and did 24.01 for a ten in my first race for 4 years.Using a compact set up is fine the gearing is plenty high enough

Kryton57

Interesting split in opinon as to whether 20mph is quick, average or slow over the day…

Night!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Average speed was always distance traveled divided by time out the house.

If we went on autopause data then ive done several 300k audaxs at 20mph ave.

If you really want to break the 20mph barrier go do a time trial, i always find something extra when im racing.

Amaizing what a wee wager with an old hand does for your 25 time ….even on a compact.

Tip, turn off the speedo get a cadence monitor – aim for 90-100 rpm and push the hardest gear you can sustain at that rpm.

molgrips
    Free Member

Club group rides do not count!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Unless you sat on the front the whole ride 🙂

mikertroid
    Free Member

My 15.5 mile each way work commute with laden pannier sees me average 18.9 mph. I don’t seem to get over 20 unless in a group; rarely ride in one but last time was 87 miles in 4h20.

I’ve just got a Suunto Ambit to delve further into my performance and fitness; might be good to see where I can improve.

I just like trying to better my times as a personal challenge; I only race off road and then just for fun.

Nobby

I doubt everyone else would be using autopause to work out their average speed.

It seems those epic rides by Radoggair did, as do the local club I rode with nice – the unmistakable chorus of beeping computers/GPS units gave it away.

mudsux
    Free Member

I did the wiggle n.downs road ride this year. It was at the beginning of the season and I averaged 17mph for the first 60 miles. After that, it went a big style t1ts up. And no f*cker on that sportive would let you hang onto their wheel over any distance.

I’ve been doing solo road rides of near 20mph but short rides over rolling hilly countryside. I don’t see 20mph as a huge barrier to break. More of a challenge would be taking on a TT or a club road race.

radoggair
    Free Member

Have a go at the Fred Whitton challenge, even Radoggair or anyone cant average 20mph on that!

your right on that one, thats one ride where you wont hit 20mph average. Think i hit just under 18 avg this year for it, which got 3rd quickest behind the Jebb meister. Next year, hopefully get about 19 avg if its not too windy !!

oldgit
    Free Member

Club rides don’t count? you lot sound like me.
    In a fast group you will slip out of you’re comfort zone and onto the front. So chances are you’ll be doing stints at well over 25. And I’m telling you that it will improve you’re solo speed. Even if it’s just because you’re pushing it and having to recover in a group.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Cracking the 20mph average barrier….’ is closed to new replies.