• This topic has 45 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by timc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • First ever trip to Northumberland in June
  • rascal
    Free Member

As title, I’ve never been but always quite fancied it.
    Not sure of accommodation but quite possibly camping, and taking bike.

What are the must see/do things and pick me one great day ride please 🙂

Recommendations for food/pubs/campsites all welcomed….cheers

SaxonRider

It is one of the most fantastic places on earth. Seriously.

From Durham, through Newcastle, then along the coast all the way to poor old Berwick upon Tweed, there are so many beautiful things to see.

If you like history, I would definitely stop at Bede’s World in Jarrow, but from the Saxon church at Escombe (Durham again) to the various castles overlooking the North Sea to Lindisfarne the whole region is soaking with good things to see and do.

Biking up there, however, I have no knowledge of.

cinnamon_girl

The Cheviots.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Cancel the trip. It’s rubbish.

Honestly don’t go, there’s nothing to see.

Have you thought of Cornwall?

ChrisHeath

I would definitely stop at Bede’s World in Jarrow

I wouldn’t bother. It closed in February.

warton
    Free Member

Collage Valley.

vickypea
    Free Member

I love Northumberland. The coast is amazing and I love Lindisfarne, Bamburgh beach, and Craster (good for coastal walks). Durham is great for a visit on the way there if you’re approaching from the south.

Drac

It’s rubbish keep away the beaches are awful.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

ChrisHeath – Member
    I would definitely stop at Bede’s World in Jarrow

Bedesworld might well be reopening in time for June!

thenorthwind

Collage Valley.

That’s only for people who haven’t been to College. You have to stick bits of paper together while everyone else has fun.

Hard to know where to start. Do you fancy the Tyne Valley, Cheviots, or the coast? Quite possible to do all three though.

Biking: road or MTB? What distance/gnar-factor?

SaxonRider

Some good news on that front.

Drac

SaxonRider – Member

Some good news on that front. 😆 ^^^

fergal
    Free Member

Cycling wise you may as well sample the best, Alwinton out to Windy gyle and the border ridge, ace descent down the street, tea and sticky buns at the cafe, then back via the Usway burn and Peth.

franksinatra

Alnwick Castle and Gardens are good, as is Barter Books.

Beaches, especially Bamburgh are fabulous.

globalti
    Free Member

Go to Cragside. Amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cragside

GrahamS
    MoreCashThanDash

The whole place is amazing. Castles, beaches, Alnwick, seafood at Craster, fish and chips at Seahouses.

Never been when it’s been warm though……

Drac

Never been when it’s been warm though……

Yeah that never happens.

Bunnyhop

Not sure about a day of cycling (we did the c2c2c a few years ago) but I can recommend eating out. The Tankerville Arms, Eglingham, Alnwick has superb food.
    Nice place to visit is the gorgeous seaside village of Alnmouth, also with good eateries.

ianfitz
    Free Member

There are many great things to do in the County but I think my favourite is to eat a scotch pie from the amazing butcher at Bamburgh.

they are incredible

Inbred456
    Free Member

Kielder for mountain biking cross border trail etc. Cragside and Rothbury done together are lovely. Barter Books and Alnwick castle and gardens. Bamburgh beach is quite possibly the best stretch of coastline in the UK( I’m biased) it has Warkworth Dunstanburgh and Bamburgh Castle and Lindisfarne Priory all near by. Craster smoke house for crab sandwiches. Hadrians Wall including several forts along its length. Hexham and Corbridge are lovely little towns on the way. Spend a day in Newcastle visit the Baltic Art gallery, Centre for Life is great for adults and kids alike. Hancock and Discovery museums are great if it’s wet. Wallington Hall is always worth a visit. National Trust membership will pay for itself and provide cheap parking.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

God’s country…. everyone forgets Alnmouth you can park on the beach. I am a Northumbria in exile and now more than ever i want to go back.

However we need a whip round to get Robson Green “put down”

Drac

He’s making the area a lot of money.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Beadnell beach can get quite busy when It’s windy…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/8jBBsz]Beadnell bay[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/8jBBsR]Beadnell Bay[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Seriously though, It’s crap, go to Cornwall or somewhere & leave us Northeners in peace save yourself a wasted journey

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

My list –
    Warkworth Castle
    Alnmouth (drink in Redlion park on beach)
    Alnwick castle – Barter books – Italian fish and chip shop in market place)
    Craster – kippers for a few quid like you have never tasted
    Bamburgh Castle and Beach
    Holy Island
    The sandstone way from Berwick (first bit good for all ages)
    Rothbury – tomlinsons bunk house cheap digs (the old coach road and descent back into rothbury is just smashing)
    Hadrians wall (Housesteads Vindalanda)
    The Tyne valley (don’t go it will ruin you)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

everyone forgets Alnmouth you can park on the beach. I am a Northumbria in exile and now more than ever i want to go back.

Hmm I was back in August, everyone had remembered Alnmouth – probably head there mid week.
    Alnwick gardens are impressive, Cragside has some great grounds and history. Holy Island is worth a look just don’t get the tides wrong.

If you are lucky and time it right there will be some spare tickets going at St James Park as Newcastles season carries on like this, it’s worth a trip if the noise is up.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

The Tyne valley (don’t go it will ruin you)

‘salright, we don’t want you. We’ll keep it to ourselves. the biking is rubbish anyway.

TooTall
    Free Member

Don’t forget to stop in Tynemouth on the way up there. It’s a nice place with loads of history as well as your choice of places to eat and drink.

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies folks.
    Some great suggestions on there.
    Not sure if I’ll take the road bike or the Trigger – or even if I’ll take a bike at all.
    They can be a bit of a liability if travelling around for a week – especially if on the roof.
    We spent a few nights in camping pods last June in the Lakes which we really liked – none of the faff of taking a car full of camping stuff whilst still retaining an element of feeling outdoorsy, and way less costly than a nice B&B. Might do that at 2 or 3 different locations – saw a good one at Springhill.
    Didn’t realise how big/long Northumberland actually is! Huge! Ordered a brochure to help plot locations etc.
    Looking forward to it – would love to try that thing beach kite thing esselgruntfuttock 🙂

fatmax

I like it when folk say it’s grim up north…it keeps southerners out of Northumberland. I live in Edinburgh and love it, but if was to move anywhere it’d be here. See Drac’s pic.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Looking forward to it – would love to try that thing beach kite thing esselgruntfuttock

Looked awesome. That was a couple of young lads who were having great fun, I just took the photo!

Drac

Yup it’s a fair size and most othe population is in a pocket to the SE end after that it can get pretty remote.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Beautiful place.. Love it up there.
    Head to Craster for amazing kippers.
    Rothbury for the best Teacakes.
    And anywhere for the most amazing views.

GrahamS

would love to try that thing beach kite thing esselgruntfuttock

Don’t think he is doing the kite-buggies (yet), but if you fancy taking to the water for some kitesurfing instead then speak to my mate Kev at http://www.kitesurfinglessons.co.uk/

iainc

Annual pilgrimage for us, been going for over 10 yrs from West of Scotland. Wonderful area and so much to do/see/eat/drink/enjoy.

rascal
    Free Member

Been doing a bit of research.
    We’ll go for 6 nights – mix of camping pods and B&B/inns.
    Still undecided on locations though. Def want to go to Hadrian’s Wall so thinking Hexham area.
    Fancy a day’s biking somewhere around Kielder. What would be a good base for the coast? Want to def go to Holy Island, Bamburgh, Craster for kippers, maybe Seahouses (camping pods there). Would like a night in Alnwick – would do castle and gardens there too.

gobuchul
    Free Member

You don’t need to go to Craster for kippers.

There is a major argument about who are the best and oldest kipper producer between Seahouses and Craster.

rascal
    Free Member

Looking to book 2 nights in camping pods near Seahouses.
    Is Seahouses as a village nice? Chosen this location for the pods rather than the village but it needs to have decent places to eat and drink. If not can you recommend somewhere near the coast that just feels nice with a lovely local pub that does nice food in that neck of the woods?

Drac

I live in Alnwick I can be on the coast with 5 minutes drive and Kielder takes about an hour, big Northumberland may be but with the exception of bank holidays the roads are usually prett good.

Fancy something quirky?

http://www.coquetcottages.co.uk/northumberland-holiday-cottages/pottergate-tower/

Seahouses is well Ermmm! A bit touristy it makes its money from the static caravan parks. Good chip shops and the Puffin cruises but other than that it has nothing much more to offer.

Bamburgh has some descent little food places, The Joiners Arms High Newton, The Ship Low Newton should be quitish in June. Warkwoth for Bertram’s and Cabose then along the road to Morwick Ice Cream.

Craster for the Kippers there is no argument they are the best and while there The Jolly Fisherman

Alnwick has the castle, gardens Barter Books and a small steam railway project that’s starting to take shape. Food wise there’s The Pantry, Yan’s Chinese which is very good, The Dirty Bottles Smokehouse that does good food, beer and cocktails, there’s The Tavern Steakhouse but I’ve not tried it yet as its just reopened. Also a cheap Italin’s opposite the Playhouse.

Amble is worth a visit now it’s really being revamped along the harbour with little pop up shops and a cracking Ice Cream parlour. There’s Zecca at the top end that does good seafood, pizzas and steaks.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Seahouses is a bit Blackpool!! Chip shops and Amusements. You can get a boat trip to the Farne Islands from there though.

Good pub and campsite at Embleton. Great beach and a good pub at Low Newton a mile or so up the coast – good beach walk from Embleton. Good beach walk south to Dunstanburgh Castle and Craster too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘First ever trip to Northumberland in June’ is closed to new replies.