• This topic has 26 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Firefox 3.5 is now available….
  • andywhit
    Free Member

Seems nice and fast and has a, ahem, “private” browsing facility.

“Help->Check for updates” on your existing versions should pick it up.

druidh
    Free Member

Hmm – some extensions aren’t up to speed yet…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Thanks for that, add ons need to catch up but the private browsing is great for looking for presents for my wife without her finding out and other things,ahem..

Hairychested
    Free Member

yeah, right 😉

ski
    Free Member

Andy did you lose your bookmarks after updating?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Bookmarks still ok here

ski
    Free Member

cheers PH

theflatboy
    Free Member

it’s good, but i’ll like it more when adblock is updated to work with it!

cp

i switched over to google chrome because version 3 of firefox was soooooo slow. has it sped up any? Chrome is so fast!

GrahamS

Looking good so far. Bookmarks fine. Definitely faster rendering.

theflatboy: ABP works fine on it as far as I can tell.

Some nice details about it here:
    http://lifehacker.com/5304572/firefox-35-officially-available-for-download

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I had a problem with the 3 https site trying to update my PAYG mobile broadband. Apparently because firefox 3.5 no longer supports that version of SSL and 3 haven’t updated their certificates yet.

cp

OK, I’m nearly 24 hours in to using 3.5… and can say it’s a lot faster on my work machine (workstation)… will be shifting back from Chrome I think. just feel more comfortable in firefox!

cp

i dabbled with safari 4 on my work and home pc’s (both windows) and it was so unstable I just got shut.

theflatboy
    Free Member

one thing that it doesn’t appear to do anymore is allow you to close the only tab you have open, and keep the programme running with no tabs – if you try to do that now with a ctrl+w it closes the whole thing. this is quite annoying in a work environment!

scaredypants

if you get the “nightly tester tools” add-on you can force new versions to allow your existing add-ons to work (often it’s just the text description of which versions it’s compatible with, rather than an actual problem causing it “not to work”)

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I like the + button for opening a new tab. That was the only little niggle I had with firfox 3. It does seem a bit quicker reloading multi tabs I experimented by opening 10 tabs hitting reload all tabs and it took about 2 seconds the old version it took about 10 seconds. This of course is a crap test but it feels better.

GrahamS

one thing that it doesn’t appear to do anymore is allow you to close the only tab you have open, and keep the programme running with no tabs – if you try to do that now with a ctrl+w it closes the whole thing. this is quite annoying in a work environment!

Not sure why this is an issue, but if you go to about:config and change browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab to false then does that sort it for you?

theflatboy
    Free Member

theflatboy: ABP works fine on it as far as I can tell.

so it does. good chap. 🙂

Not sure why this is an issue, but if you go to about:config and change browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab to false then does that sort it for you?

well it’s an issue because if i’ve only got one window open at work and it’s something like STW and i need to quickly close it with a ctrl+w then i can then do a rightclick and an “undo close tab”. if it shuts the whole programme down then i can’t. also, it’s annoying having to do that and then wait for it to get up and running again! a minor annoyance. i’ll try your fix, but it sounds good. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

it works, well played big G. 🙂

GrahamS

Cool, glad it’s sorted. That’s what I like about Firefox – easy to use but plenty configurable.

My approach to your situation is to always have a boring work-related site in one tab that I can flick to. Mind you I have heavily altered the styles on the Singletrack page and hidden all the images so that it is pretty much just plain text anyway. So passing stealth bosses would have to get close enough to read it to know what I’m up to. 🙂

MrOvershoot

Its been running fine on all the PC’s & laptops in the house & I have just updated the old laptop in the garage (yes I know that’s a bit sad) its way quicker 😀

curiousorange
    Free Member

Instead of adblock, I use noscript. It’s a bit more of a pain initially, but far safer in the long term.

chewkw
    Free Member

Will only update once 3.5.1 or 3.5.01 is released.

Can’t be asked to read all those solutions for now.

🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

The most important extensions are these two: ABP & Noscript.

curiousorange
    Free Member

A brief update for those who are unaware. FF 3.5.1 is now available.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

3.5 has been running like a dog on my PC, whereas the previous version was just peachy.

Drac

Update to 3.5.1 supposedly fixes it for those who it ran slow for.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Firefox 3.5 is now available….’ is closed to new replies.