Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Finding the noise
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

I like a silent bike, so now I have a noise I can’t locate it’s doing my head in! Can anyone offer up components to check?

It’s a ticking noise in random gears, any chainring (3×10 set up), it’s not the saddle or the seat post as it still happens when standing and it’s not consistent – it will tick on one pedal stroke, then be silent for 3 or 4, then come back again.

My guess is something to do with the chain or BB, but it can be silent again after changing gear.

Indexing at the back appears fine – every gear available. Any ideas?

andysredmini
    Free Member

Shoe laces hitting the frame maybe?
    I noticed an annoying random clicking on my way home from work last night and it turned out it was my shoelace hitting the down tube.

ThePinkster

could be a sticky link coming off the top jockey wheel on to the cassette. Has something similar on a friends bike I was sorting the other day.

Chain was knackered anyway so I replaced it and it stopped.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

billytinkle – Member
    I like a silent bike, so now I have a noise I can’t locate it’s doing my head in! Can anyone offer up components to check?

It’s a ticking noise in random gears, any chainring (3×10 set up), it’s not the saddle or the seat post as it still happens when standing and it’s not consistent – it will tick on one pedal stroke, then be silent for 3 or 4, then come back again.

My guess is something to do with the chain or BB, but it can be silent again after changing gear.

Indexing at the back appears fine – every gear available. Any ideas?

bizarrely ive just noticed this too on mine, mine only happens when im stood up climbing the steep road sections (it doesnt do it as soon as i sit back down and i cant hear it at all stood up or sat down off road (though trail rocks/looseness could cover that sound a bit more off road

im pretty anal about noises etc too, and the only thing i can think of on mine is the fact my chain is almost worn (will drop in the 1% guide thing on a park chain checker) its literally the only thing i can think of, as its not consistent as yours, it does it sometimes and not others and only really does it out of the saddle climbing road

its not overly annoying me yet because its only ever there very little, but its very random

not sure its a clicking noise though, more like a knocking type noise then it will suddenly disappear

im changing the chain this weekend so im hoping it is that!

shortcut

Check rear mech is tight.
    Remove rear wheel
    Remove cassette and replace after cleaning and greasing the free hub body.
    Replace wheel checking qr is tight.

Test.

Remove seatpin grease seat tube. Replace.

Test.

Remove bars and stem – clean and replace.

Test

Check crank bolts are tight.

Test

Remove cranks and BB and pedals. Clean, grease, refit and test.

You could be free of noise at any stage.

Some may choose a different order. Principle will be the same.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Play in hub bearings causing the disc to catch slightly?

mickolas
    Free Member

op – road bike or mtb? what type of bb and headset?

my (integrated) headset ticks in the manner you describe. also the zip on my frame bag clunks against the seattube (that one nearly drove me mad).

mickolas
    Free Member

any updates?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Finding the noise’ is closed to new replies.