Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Finding a job
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

Anyone getting fed up with trawling through ads on job sites?

Ever get the feeling that most jobs don’t exist?

Had your thorough applications totally ignored?

Received emails specifically targetted at you, but about opportunities unrelated to anything you have ever done in your life?

Got emails for jobs in parts of the country you didn’t specify and could not practicably commute to?

Had every person who sees you CV tell you it needs improving, even after the previous person has “improved” it?

Get the feeling you won’t ever get any interviews, or ever work again?

Been told repeatedly by your partner that it is your fault you can’t find a job?

Been offered sound, but generic advice on job hunting and careers from people who have never been in your shoes, but look down their noses at you?

Had career advisors suggest you need to spend upwards of £3k so that they can get you back to work, but with no guarantees?

Desperately need to find some motivation and encouragement?

IA

Yes to some of those.

juan
    Free Member

Welcome to my world…
    Lets set up a facebook group 🙁

nickf
    Free Member

Spongebob, despite our difference on other posts, let me offer you my sympathies. For what it’s worth, I was going through much of this about 18 months ago. Despite what anyone may tell you, it’s not about spending 24 hours a day jobhunting – there just aren’t the jobs to go round. And trawling jobs on sites is largely a waste of time; a high proportion of these are, I’m afraid, spec jobs.

I’d suggest not sending off your CV and hoping that it’ll hit the mark – my experience tells me that it will not. You need to phone the consultant, establish a rapport, be ready to email them your CV whilst you’re on the phone with them, and sell yourself as hard as you can. Always follow up the first call with another to ensure you get feedback. No guarantees that you’ll get considered, of course, but it’s certain that you’ll elevate yourself up the pile a little.

What you quickly realise is that people like to employ those who are in work right now. It may seem counter-intuitive, but even though there may well be someone willing and able to do the job, the sneaking suspicion is that the person not working is the one who is

(a) unable to hack it
    (b) is a bit lazy, and that’s why they got made redundant ahead of others
    (c) is technically a bit out of date

So you have to have razor-sharp reasons for why (1) & (2) don’t apply to you, and be able to demonstrate that (3) isn’t relevant either.

Above all, you need to be working, so even though you may hate it, and may think that the commute is madness, take pretty much anything you’re offered. So long as you cover your costs, it’s still better than sitting at home moping, and it shows a potential employer that you’re flexible and able.

If you’d like, I’d be happy to have a look at your CV as a potential employer would; you’d be truly astonished at the number of CVs I get punted at me for six-figure jobs which still have obvious flaws. And if a CV has spelling mistakes or basic grammatical errors, it goes in the bin. That said, people obsess over the ‘perfect’ CV, when in reality there isn’t one.

Chin up. It’s not your fault that you’re not working, and you will find a job. It’s not a question of whether, just a case of when.

_tom_
    Free Member

Yes, it’s just getting annoying now. It’s particilarly hard in the media industry as it’s so competitive and I’m not great at interviews (need to get into some kind of class to improve my technique). I’ve sent off countless applications and only been to about 6 interviews since last July. I’ve tried changing up my cv, cover letter etc but there doesn’t seem to be any kind of pattern as to which gets the interviews.

mrmo
    Free Member

yes, send off cv and here nothing back, there seems to be less about than before xmas which has shocked me, and it was bad before christmas. As for getting any job, i had one before christmas that i walked out of, boss was a liar and a bully, and the pay barely covered the travel and car maintenance costs involved. The other issue was i had no intention of staying, was having serious problems getting time off for interviews and am well aware that the skills i have are getting rustier as time goes by.

juan
    Free Member

Well in my experience (14 month of work) sending CV just never works. Last example, in Ocotber at a recruiting meeting, I gave my CV to a SSII (like a temp agency but for science and IT and a bit different), since no call back. Two weeks ago, a riding friend of mine told me that a rep from this very SSII was working with them. In the following 3 days I had a phone call from the HR girl for an appointment. Worst part being, she remembered exactly when and where we met and who I was. You need to know someone. Using viadeo can be a smart move.
    As said above you need to phone to make sure they got your CV, make sure they give you feedback etc etc.
    Without knowing anyone, it’s very hard to et a job.

steveb

Two jobs going in Yorkshire….
    Mechanical designer with Pro E knowledge, castings/mouldings/sheet metal etc.
    Electronics technician or junior (freshish grad) engineer.

Near Wetherby.

mrmo
    Free Member

one thing i wonder, i got to third interview for one job and then they decided i was lacking one skill. 4 months later the job is still being advertised. I am sure there were others that they interviewed, who would have been a reasonably close match and could be trained in the missing skill.

But i see no evidence of training every employer seems to want the finished product and not to train anyone.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Finding a job’ is closed to new replies.