• This topic has 147 replies, 117 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by dti.
Viewing 28 posts - 121 through 148 (of 148 total)
  • Films that knock you sideways
  • hora
    Free Member

The Green Mile.

I’ve never cried over a big blackman before or since.. 😯

zinaru
    Free Member

jodorowskys ‘the holy mountain’ continues to knock me sideways.

considered ‘of its time’ or ‘drugged out nonsense’ by many but id always defend the effort and creative originality of the whole thing. the more I’ve researched it and dug around it, it still stands as a true work of art in my opinion.

chrisa87
    Free Member

Requiem for a dream, one of the grimmest films I’ve ever watched.

isto
    Free Member

Life is beautiful

Good call….such an awesome film.

Although I love Spirited Away, if I were to pick an animated film that blew me away it would have to be Waltz with Bashir.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The Green Mile.

I’ve never cried over a big blackman before or since..

Hora, you…I….just….*sigh*

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oh – more up to date ones from me:

Whiplash – just, wow.

Animal Kingdom – *whistles*

Take Shelter – damn traumatic.

Selfish Giant – I cried. Quite a lot.

richmtb

12 Years A Slave.

It one of those films that’s in the special category of absolutely brilliant but you wouldn’t volunteer to sit through again, see also Schindler’s List and Requiem for a Dream

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Although there were only two of us watching at home, I still broke into spontaneous applaud at the end of Man with a Movie Camera; Tarkovsky’s Solaris was pretty memorable; and I’ll add another vote for The Lives of Others. Then there’s It’s a Beautiful Life…

joolsburger
    Free Member

A short film about killing – All a bit disturbing
    Mississippi burning – Perfect study into racism and ignorance
    The boy in the striped pyjamas – Yeah that was long term depressing

yoda
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member
    Oh – more up to date ones from me:

Whiplash – just, wow.

Animal Kingdom – *whistles*

Take Shelter – damn traumatic.

Selfish Giant – I cried. Quite a lot.

The selfish giant.
    The teacher that breaks up the fight was actually my PE teacher from school!! Now he’s one of my drinking buddies.
    That got him a listing on IMDB!!

Can’t believe no one has mentioned Million dollar baby.
    That really shook me when there was no uplifting happy ending.

dragon
    Free Member

Requiem for a Dream and Pi, Trainspotting, Being John Malkovich, can’t think of more recent ones, they all seem a bit well meh.

clareymorris

Just watched Captain Philips…………brilliant. Seriously tense and the final scene. Wow!!

Rust and Bone was good too………..bizarre subject matter but really great film!

CountZero

So many of the films mentioned are films I would avoid going to see in the first place, knowing they’re likely to be pretty grim watching.

slowoldman – Member
    Pans Labyrinth

+1 I’m not sure I could watch it again.
    This, though; I had no idea what to expect, and the scene where the officer beats the bloke with the wine bottle just shook me rigid, the casual, cold violence was shocking, and has stayed with me since I saw it the first week of release.
    I cannot bring myself to ever watch it again.
    Up caught me by surprise, the opening bit had me quietly sobbing in my seat.
    Cougar, Spirited Away is a fabulous film, but all of Myazaki’s Studio Ghibli films are really worth watching.
    Although Grave Of The Fireflies, as I understand from a mate who’s watched it, is a very upsetting film, there’s not a lot of cheer to be found in it.

Torminalis
    Free Member

If you want something to really upset you, The Act of Killing doesn’t disappoint.

TheDTs
    Free Member

The Killing Fields.

Spin
    Free Member

The Railway Man.

It’s a great story but really poorly cast. I had great trouble believing Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman were the ages they were meant to be mainly because they are about 20 years younger than the characters they played.

Huwzy
    Free Member

Solo, Andrew McAuley set out on his quest to become the first person to kayak from Australia …

http://vimeo.com/10150048

stevedoc
    Free Member

Saving private Ryan … one scene still messes with my head to this day

American Sniper ,just getting into that guys head and how messed up he was

And sorry but that feeling of pride The finishing lap on Cars .. “pit stop” always a wet eye , anyways off for my prozac now

jimjam
    Free Member

Some sensitive little flowers on here it would seem 😆
    Do yourself a favour and don’t watch Irreversible.

For light hearted shenanigans take a look at Killer Joe.

mikey74
    Free Member

A few more, some of which have already been mentioned:

– American History X
    – Wolf Creek (such a cold, nasty atmosphere)
    – The Descent
    – The original Last House on the Left

Re: Irreversible: A friend of mine had a copy of it but refused to show it to anyone; he wouldn’t even lend it out.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Very recently Whiplash took my my breath away. It looks beautiful, is full of these powerfully contrasting sights and sounds and has a truly visceral finale. Quite an inspiring story.

batfink
    Free Member

Saw Gone Girl last week…… VERY disappoint.

I am going to have to read the book – it felt like there was waaaaaaay too much crammed into the last 15 minutes of the film (after the bedroom scene), and it just kind-of fizzled out. There were also plot-holes you could drive a truck through 🙁

I think Zodiac was by the same director, and was much better.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Martyrs

I was trying to explain this to someone and they thought I was an absolute lunatic

PiknMix
    Free Member

Just watched an absolute belter, every emotion packed into one brilliant film. What we did on our holiday.

kimbers

I watch a lot of films, very rare that any really blow me away Waltz With Bashir was probably the last one that did

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Frank. I always say the sign of a good film is if you’re thinking about it a week later. I am.

Particularly how it handled mental illness and how laughter is the only thing to do sometimes.

Fassbender at the end broke my heart a bit. A proper good fable in there.

langylad
    Free Member

Two films that made me laugh and cry in the same instant;
    Brassed Off (when stephen tompkinson wheels past on a hospital trolly dressed as a clown, postlethwaite’s speech at the end), plus Life is Beautiful.
    The Lives of Others and Atonement

dti

goodfellas

Viewing 28 posts - 121 through 148 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘Films that knock you sideways’ is closed to new replies.