• This topic has 147 replies, 117 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by dti.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)
  • Films that knock you sideways
  • PiknMix
    Free Member

I have had a rare night to myself, I spent it watching films. I watched two films that are both very different but both knocked me for six.
    If you haven’t seen them I urge you to watch;

The Railway Man.
    Lone Survivor.

Both incredible both made me bulb like a fool.

Any must see films that you recommend?

prawny

TT3d closer to the edge. Even the Mrs likes it and she hates bikes.

I also really like Everything is Illuminated, it got a bit of everything, but it’s not very popular.

botanybay
    Free Member

Showgirls makes me bulb like a fool.

Jamie
    Free Member

Makes you bulb?

I assume this is a euphemism.

rj
    Free Member

Shine, left me ‘slightly’ emotional.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Will check shine out, you can keep showgirls though 😉

rj
    Free Member

If you don’t mind subtitles, Les Intouchables is about as shamelessly heartstring-pulling as they come.

maxtorque

Even though i’ve seen it probably 5 times before, the first 15mins of “Saving Private Ryan” always shocks me!

PiknMix
    Free Member

I don’t mind subtitles, will look that one up too. Saving private Ryan is a classic and never fails to hit home the grim reality of war.

Philby

Hurt Locker has some quite moving scenes and an underlying message about the futility of war

squirrelking
    Free Member

Irreversible.

Brutal…

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Tyrannosaur. Incredible performances and some of the scenes stayed with me for days.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Shawshank

aphex_2k
    Free Member

The end bit of Leon. Without giving too much away. It’s one of those “yaaaa” and “waaaa!” moments. One of my favourite films and also the name of my 3 year old son.

grum
    Free Member

Dead Man’s Shoes blew me away the first time I saw it.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Oh yeah DMS is a great film. Saw it on C4 one night. Superb.

bencooper
    Free Member

Schindler’s List – the very end bit with the real survivors.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Antichrist, disturbing film made by a man who admits he was disturbed at the time. Dogtooth as well

njee20
    Free Member

Changeling is pretty brutal, in a good way IMO.

vondally
    Free Member

so many

Birdy……alan parker film

recently

Calvary

DezB
    Free Member

Old Boy

boxelder

Lincoln…….not.
    Dishwater.

gogg
    Free Member

Hard Candy, shocking performance from such a young actress.

wallop

Random one – The Constant Gardener. I sobbed all the way home from the cinema.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Some great suggestions here, agree with the end of Leon, man that’s a brilliant film.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Wrecked (2013).

A road trip that goes stunningly wrong. Not in a Wrong Turn or The Hills Have Eyes
    way. Much more original and frighteningly plausible.

8/10 from me and Mrs. S.

mikey74
    Free Member

Martyrs.

It’s brutal and one that won’t be forgotten in a hurry.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Man Bites Dog

Bad Boy Bubby

These two are quite challenging.

tang
    Free Member

Journey of hope – very depressing especially as you know the story is bring played out continuously in many places around the world.

dannyh
    Free Member

Schindlers List for me. It is in its DVD box on the shelf looking at me now, but I have only ever watched it twice. The unremitting sorrow is a lot to take in.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Man Bites Dog

Bad Boy Bubby

These two are quite challenging.

Man bites Dog I watched at the Edinburgh Film House when it came out, not watched since but should watch again to see if it’s as shocking.

Bad boy Bubby was ace if a bit disturbing. Watched it with absolutely no idea what the synopsis was. Wife got from blockbuster in a rent three for the price of two deal. She couldn’t choose the third so grabbed Bubby.

From IMDB one of many great quotes

“Angel’s Mother: If God had wanted us to be fat, he’d just made us all the same way, wouldn’t he? But he didn’t! God doesn’t like fat people! Fat people are an abomination in his eyes!”

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Enduring Love is a film that always sticks in my mind, such a strange premise and looks into every avenue of the human psyche I think

Nipper99
    Free Member

Kes

Land and Freedom

6th Sence

Pans Labyrinth

I never tire of watching these films.

cliffyc
    Free Member

The Usual Suspects,when the cop, Sgt Jeff Rabin starts picking up all the small clues….,love it!. And it’s 20 years (next year), since it came out.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Dead Man’s Shoes blew me away the first time I saw it.

only film thats left me feeling like I’ve been physically punched in the guts.

slowoldman

Pans Labyrinth

+1 I’m not sure I could watch it again. 😥

IanW
    Free Member

Tyrannosaur did it for me but it may help if you grew up in that kind of dump. Another not at all arty though is Notebook which I suppose some would consider a bit mainstream but I found it really upsetting, why do girls like watching that stuff?

cynic-al
    Free Member

City of God

Man Bites Dog really wasn’t as shocking on 2nd viewing.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Lars von Trier. Melancholia.

drlex
    Free Member

Diva was the first film that made me think about what I’d seen. Would agree with many of the films mentioned so far, especially DMS. I’ll offer up Jacob’s Ladder and Apocalypse Now, both of which had a Keanu-like “woah!” effect on me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘Films that knock you sideways’ is closed to new replies.